Saturday Depth Chart Developments

Maye's strength is his elusiveness and speed. We need to get him touches in space where he can take advantage of his best attributes. I don't think he was used particularly well this week. That's not to say this is a critic on the coaching staffs decisions as there could very well be mitigating factors but I would certainly like to see in the future either better creases and holes from our OLine or more Maye to the outside where he can use his talents better.

The tape shows that we will use him between the tackles as well as in space, Def's have to now be aware of that and cover the whole field.

The tape shows that we will use him between the tackles as well as in space, Def's have to now be aware of that and cover the whole field.

I don't think showing him being stopped for short gains up the middle is going to do much to change what a defense prepares for. Coaches already worry about covering the whole field and the only RB opposing coaches have any reason to be concerned with at all is Kirkwood at this point. Maye and Gillum have done little to nothing from the RB position through 4 gams. We might all be intrigued by Maye's speed but he really hasn't done anything yet to make defenses worry about him anymore then the next guy.

The way the staff used Maye against Syracuse is more a reflection on Gillum then anything else. Looks like he has slipped to number 3 behind Kirkwood and Maye.

I don't think showing him being stopped for short gains up the middle is going to do much to change what a defense prepares for. Coaches already worry about covering the whole field and the only RB opposing coaches have any reason to be concerned with at all is Kirkwood at this point. Maye and Gillum have done little to nothing from the RB position through 4 gams. We might all be intrigued by Maye's speed but he really hasn't done anything yet to make defenses worry about him anymore then the next guy.

The way the staff used Maye against Syracuse is more a reflection on Gillum then anything else. Looks like he has slipped to number 3 behind Kirkwood and Maye.

OK..so a deep incomplete pass down the field does nothing to loosen up coverage either?

Hey Terminator

Beal didn't play much. I saw him blow up #77 330 lb pulling guard literally pancaking him on a toss sweep into the RB at the LOS. That is exactly what we need from our MLB...a bad MoFo. Love to see him get most of the reps at MLB and see if he is that physical the whole game...he looks like a friggin beast out there. LB play has been really poor so far. DL has covered up bad LB play. Is Coach Miller a good coach?

Go to Gopher Sports and look at the bio for Coach Miller.
Then come back and tell me if you think he is qualified to coach here.

OK..so a deep incomplete pass down the field does nothing to loosen up coverage either?

How is that anyway related to what I said? Your post was in regards to coaches having to prepare for Maye running between the tackles, my point was that it is not like they saw anything there that would make them change their gameplan as you are already going to prepare for run plays between the tackles regardless.

As to a deep incomplete pass loosening coverage.....maybe, as long as the defense believes you are a legit threat to complete those passes. But that has nothing to do with my point in all this. My point was specifically in regards to Maye and the fact that I don't think defensive coordinators are going to give him much thought at this point.

Maybe Gillum can go the Arland Bruce route, come in as a RB and turn into a serviceable WR down the line.

Since he only has 22-24 games left in his career, he should make the most of it now.

Although Kirkwood had become primary, Gillum was still getting carries prior to Syracuse. Gillum fumbled in the Western Michigan game. Kill laid into him when he came-out, and he never went back in at running back in that game (or in Syracuse, as it turned out). Maybe he didn't handle the criticism or loss of touches well in practice all week? Maybe Kill just wants to go with Kirkwood?

Have Cobb or Boddy played at all this season, even on special teams?

If Cobb hasn't, it would make a lot of sense if they are RSing him now, it would really even out the classes for next year.

R-FR: R. Williams, SO: Maye / Cobb, JR: Wright, SR: Kirkwood / Gillum

I thought I remember seeing Boddy, but I could be wrong on that as well.

Beal's coming back from a major injury. Rushing him into a starting role would probably just get him hurt again. Gillum's role started to change before the WMU game. He got put on a coverage team, that's why they change his number to 28. I don't imagine fumbling helped his cause either. He had a couple flashes at UNLV. Maybe they felt Maye's style was better with Max back there. I don't recall Maye taking any hand offs from Gray except for on a sweep. If anything, Gillum's presence forced Kirkwood to up his game.

Have Cobb or Boddy played at all this season, even on special teams?

If Cobb hasn't, it would make a lot of sense if they are RSing him now, it would really even out the classes for next year.

R-FR: R. Williams, SO: Maye / Cobb, JR: Wright, SR: Kirkwood / Gillum

I thought I remember seeing Boddy, but I could be wrong on that as well.

fyi... Kirkwood will be a junior next year, but point taken, it would still help to balance the classes.

Boddy played at UNLV and in the 2nd half against UNH. I can't recall seeing him beyond that.

fyi... Kirkwood will be a junior next year, but point taken, it would still help to balance the classes.

Boddy played at UNLV and in the 2nd half against UNH. I can't recall seeing him beyond that.

Good catch.

I always forget about Kirkwood's medical hardship waiver. For some reason, it just seems like he played more than he did in his first FR season.

Although Kirkwood had become primary, Gillum was still getting carries prior to Syracuse. Gillum fumbled in the Western Michigan game. Kill laid into him when he came-out, and he never went back in at running back in that game (or in Syracuse, as it turned out). Maybe he didn't handle the criticism or loss of touches well in practice all week? Maybe Kill just wants to go with Kirkwood?

I am sure the coaches would love to have multiple viable options at RB but right now they have 1. Kirkwood is averaging 4.5 yards a carry. Gillum is at 2.6 and Maye in limited touches is at 2.8 I believe. Not a tough choice as to who to give the ball to when you look at those numbers. I think it is too early to pull the plug on Gillum but he has not looked good in the chances he has gotten after a lot of hype surrounding him coming into the season. One of the biggest arguments for having Gray at QB is that he can take some of the rushing burden off of Kirkwood, with Max at QB Kirkwood is going to have to be the guy against defenses that are going to be much stouter then the ones we have faced to date. He has a history of nagging injuries and right now if he goes down it gets a little scary at the RB position.

Top Bottom