Sara Scalia Gritting Out Separated Shoulder

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

PP: Andy Greder

The Gophers’ sophomore from Stillwater separated her right shoulder, the one integral in her sweet shooting stroke. She registered the pain at a seven out of 10, lacked regular range of motion, and what she did next wasn’t normal, either.

Scalia took an injection to numb the pain and played 35 minutes in another rivalry game against Iowa three days later. She made four 3-pointers and registered a season-high 18 points in a loss.

“It just shows us how tough she really is,” said teammate Gadiva Hubbard. “I couldn’t imagine, especially with it being her shooting shoulder. Super tough. I’m still not sure how she’s doing it to be completely honest with you.”

[...]

Scalia missed the first two games of the season due to a shin injury, a product of overuse. She was out for six weeks total, but most of that layoff came before this season’s late start in early December.

“I’m usually in the gym every day, putting in work, and I wasn’t able to,” Scalia said. “I was injured, and I think that mentally and physically caused me to have the slow start.”

She just made her first two 3's today so maybe she's feeling a little better.

Top Bottom