Sanford Comments on Colorado

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score

Says Colorado has a really good defense; one of the best LBs in college football. Talked about our Wildcat. Talked about receivers—made a comment about when CAB is ready to go, which sounded a little tentative about CAB this week. Talks about Potts’s “hot hand” against Miami and RB use going forward. Very candid, open assessment.

Last edited:

Says Colorado has a really good defense; one of the best LBs in college football. Talked about our Wildcat. Talked about receivers—made a comment about when CAB is ready to go, which sounded a little tentative about CAB this week. Talk about Potts “hot hand” against Miami and RB use going forward. Very candid, open assessment.
Thanks, that was super interesting. When asked about using Potts so much he basically said when you're in a slugfest and a guy is doing, it's hard to take him out. Then he said this though and using the other RBs

That's going to happen and it has to happen. Because Trey's got 10 games left, and we really hope and anticipate we have 11 or 12 games left. But we got to be able to get our horses, not only to the race, but also the entirety of the race. But we got to make sure we protect a guy like Trey because that was his first time feeling what it feels like in college football to go. And he was awesome. He was exactly what I thought he was going to be. But I also have called scrimmage plays and practice plays for the other backs, so I had a really good comfort level with who he is as a back but now I have the same comfort level with the other backs so that we can utilize them. They're going to have that opportunity to step up and seize their opportunity."

Thanks, that was super interesting. When asked about using Potts so much he basically said when you're in a slugfest and a guy is doing, it's hard to take him out. Then he said this though and using the other RBs
That's going to happen and it has to happen. Because Trey's got 10 games left, and we really hope and anticipate we have 11 or 12 games left. But we got to be able to get our horses, not only to the race, but also the entirety of the race. But we got to make sure we protect a guy like Trey because that was his first time feeling what it feels like in college football to go. And he was awesome. He was exactly what I thought he was going to be. But I also have called scrimmage plays and practice plays for the other backs, so I had a really good comfort level with who he is as a back but now I have the same comfort level with the other backs so that we can utilize them. They're going to have that opportunity to step up and seize their opportunity."

Coward! I can't believe our coach doesn't believe the natty is in play.

Why does Trey only have 10 games left?

Probably because the year he will have will give him a "1st Round Grade." He knows Trey enough to know he will keep his body safe for the money vs. playing in championship game and Bowl game.

He doesn’t only have 10 games left. He has 10 games left
Quote said "Because Trey's got 10 games left, and we really hope and anticipate we have 11 or 12 games left.", so it sounds like coaches are anticipating him not playing in a potential conference title game or bowl game. So I was just asking why they thought he had last games left than the team did this year.

Quote said "Because Trey's got 10 games left, and we really hope and anticipate we have 11 or 12 games left.", so it sounds like coaches are anticipating him not playing in a potential conference title game or bowl game. So I was just asking why they thought he had last games left than the team did this year.
I don't think he intended to convey that Trey wouldn't play those games. I think he was trying to say "Trey needs to make it through the season" but mentioned 10 games specifically as far as regular season and then realized it sounded like he was saying we would only play regular season games, and tacked on the additional thought of "we hope to have 11 or 12 games this year". It just came out weird.

You are reading that quote completely out of context and if you can’t figure out what he is saying I can’t help you

Sanford’s transcript is a bunch of honest but garbled sentences spoken by a coach who isn’t a professional speaker. Sanford is not an Oracle; we needn’t try to parse his exact words so closely (I realize some of the GH commenters are just folks having a little fun). The gist of Sanford’s statement is that he knows that we have to run multiple backs most games during our long bruising season if we expect to have Potts—the new alpha back—available and healthy all season and into post season. Williams and Wiley, and one of the freshman, too, simply have to step up. If we see Potts in the overused, bell cow situation, for too many games (once the Colorado game is behind us), that means our “deep” RB room is a lot more shallow than we thought.

Last edited:

Top Bottom