Sampson

Blackhammer

Reaction score
He is just flat out terrible.If Mo was healthy the stiff should never see another minute.

The guy gutted it out on a bad ankle and still gave us decent minutes. How are you gonna rag on him now?

sure, we wouldn't want a top 20 center in college basketball
i'm sticking with ralph

I keep waiting for him to become a solid player and I see no improvement.I've given up on him.A smaller lineup instead of being tied to two bigs at all times seems to be the way the game is going.Ralph's shooting can't be counted on and his defense is always a step late.Not to mention the way he gets bullies on the boards.Maybe it's is ankle but right now he looks like he has regressed if anything.Hope he proves me wrong.

Ralph = Soft. Does not play with emotion and gets beat up and out by other big men. Sorry to rip on the kid but it is what it is Gopherholers.

Ralph = Soft. Does not play with emotion and gets beat up and out by other big men. Sorry to rip on the kid but it is what it is Gopherholers.
So when Reusse picks on student athletes, you call him an idiot and imply he is classless. However, it is ok if you do it if you say sorry to Gopherholers?

Odd game to make this comment after. He was very efficient in 15 minutes on a bum ankle.

So when Reusse picks on student athletes, you call him an idiot and imply he is classless. However, it is ok if you do it if you say sorry to Gopherholers?

Good point.

HTML:
Odd game to make this comment after. He was very efficient in 15 minutes on a bum ankle.

Yah ... so I'm watching the replay for the first time after having seen this comment ... and I just see him being efficient as noted. I will admit I've had similar thoughts from time to time about Ralph but I'm just not seeing it in this game. I thought he was pretty good against the Blue Demons.

I'll never remember Sampson as one of my favorite Gophers-he falls into that category of players who you always want more from, starting with visible displays of emotion. That being said, I do believe he'll be one of the more under-appreciated Gophers of all-time when it's all said and done. He's currently 4th on the all time blocks list and certainly will finish in the top 3 (couldn't find the entire list doing a quick search). He complements Mbawke well, on both ends of the court. At his worst, he's imposing as the last line of defense and can be counted upon for 6-10 points per game. There's a gaping hole on that front line for next year and while it starts with Mbawke, Sampson will also be missed.

The amount of hate Ralph gets on this board is ridiculous. He is a good player that plays solid defense and has effective offense. You cannot call him a terrible player just because he isn't the down low banger that you want him to be. He is one of the best shot blockers in the Big Ten, and I would let him take his 20 foot jumpshot all day long. Ralph is what he is, and he's a good player. I for one am happy to have him on the team and think he will be missed next year.

I'll never remember Sampson as one of my favorite Gophers-he falls into that category of players who you always want more from, starting with visible displays of emotion. That being said, I do believe he'll be one of the more under-appreciated Gophers of all-time when it's all said and done. He's currently 4th on the all time blocks list and certainly will finish in the top 3 (couldn't find the entire list doing a quick search). He complements Mbawke well, on both ends of the court. At his worst, he's imposing as the last line of defense and can be counted upon for 6-10 points per game. There's a gaping hole on that front line for next year and while it starts with Mbawke, Sampson will also be missed.

Good post, I agree with all of it. I think we are really going to miss his (along with Mbakwe's) shot blocking next season. We've kind of been spoiled with the amount of blocked shots this team gets. I don't necessarily see the team next year being a good shot blocking team.

"Picking on a couple student athletes - what a class act he is. Idiot."

Reusse calls him an underachiever. You basically call him a pu**y. Yeah, that Reusse sure is an idiot.

I wonder how much of the criticism directed at Ralph is rooted in people subconsciously comparing his performance to the legend that was his father.

funny thing is RSIII is the same style of player as his dad, just half a foot shorter, he's very good on the defensive side, good shooter for a big man, one of our best passers, bt like his father he just isn't the type of guy that goes inside, just not his game

no hate for Ralph here. He shoots well for a center, he's a great passer and a great defender. I think most posters would like to see him play with a little more fire. He looks like he is playing in his sleep sometimes.

You know what I'm sick of? People ignoring the obvious. We are allowed to be critical on this board. Ralph isn't good. Plays with zero passion. I don't really think there's much debate about it.

Well it better be his game if he can't handle the ball. He's no where near as aggressive as his dad was.

You know what I'm sick of? People ignoring the obvious. We are allowed to be critical on this board. Ralph isn't good. Plays with zero passion. I don't really think there's much debate about it.

You are definitely allowed to be critical, but don't get mad when people laugh at you when your analysis (if you can even call it that) is increadibly off base. Ralph is a very good center and complements Trevor nicely.

Some people go way overboard on the whole "lack of passion" and "lack of emotion" angle. What do people want? Do you want him to start screaming and pounding his chest constantly? Will that prove to you that he is "mentally into the game"?

As stated already, he played a very efficient 15 minutes on a bad ankle, and GW also stated that he was noticeably vocal when on the bench. He obviously plays with more or less monotone body language, but that is just that way he plays and focuses.

I think Ralph has gotten a bad break from a lot of fans his whole career. Yes, he has his shortcomings. However, calling him "flat out terrible" is nothing short of ridiculous. We will definitely miss him next year.

Some people go way overboard on the whole "lack of passion" and "lack of emotion" angle. What do people want? Do you want him to start screaming and pounding his chest constantly? Will that prove to you that he is "mentally into the game"?

As stated already, he played a very efficient 15 minutes on a bad ankle, and GW also stated that he was noticeably vocal when on the bench. He obviously plays with more or less monotone body language, but that is just that way he plays and focuses.

I think Ralph has gotten a bad break from a lot of fans his whole career. Yes, he has his shortcomings. However, calling him "flat out terrible" is nothing short of ridiculous. We will definitely miss him next year.

+1

You are definitely allowed to be critical, but don't get mad when people laugh at you when your analysis (if you can even call it that) is increadibly off base. Ralph is a very good center and complements Trevor nicely.

"Ralph is a very good center" Don't get made when I laugh right now.

I think he is a good college C. Not great, and has not been the player I thought, and many thought, he would be. I expected more than 10 and 6 from him and it does not look like we'll get much more than that. He is a good defensive player. Just as bad as the people who think he is horrible though, are those who think he is "great" at anything. That is a stretch.

I never said he was horrible. I said he isn't good. Maybe my expectations are too high. Maybe I wanted to see more growth from him since his freshman season. Maybe I want us to finish better than the bottom third of the Big Ten. smh.

zambam said:

Maybe it's just that I can't stand Reusse always ripping on the U so it's easy defend Ralph when he does not deserve it. So I'm not sorry and he's still soft.

Parski's response on the Reusse TOY thread:

Picking on a couple student athletes - what a class act he is. Idiot.

Honestly, what's the difference between your criticism and Reusse's? That yours is anonymous? That Reusse blasts them for not capitalizing on their talent while you call Sampson soft?

Ralph is a good center. And he has great hands he is a great passer and great defender. That's three greats right there (sorry gopherbadgerman). He has a good shot within 10 feet and is one of the top fhree players on the team. That my friends is not terrible or horrible. He is good but my point is that I think he could be even better. We need him on the court to win in the big ten.

Top Bottom