sampson III officially declares for draft

Per these tweets from Myron

@GophersBBGuy: Ralph Sampson III has entered the NBA draft. His AAU coach says he's "strongly considering" a pro career.

@GophersBBGuy: But his AAU coach also believes he'll return to school.

I think that this is great! I want him to return but I want him to return with something to prove. I believe that the talent is there; I want to see the fire.

Since the deadline was the 24th, does that mean that Trevor officially did not declare; or did I miss something about him?

I agree with Tubby when he said that Ralph didn't have a very good year. If you cannot rebound or score consistently in the post in the Big Ten, you are not going to be an NBA player. Ralph was no better than 4th (and arguably lower) on Gophers who made an impact on the court last year behind Trevor, Al, and Blake.

so wait what? was the 24th what you had to be withdrawled by? or just when you could declare for the draft? what im asking is, can he still comeback without a penalty, or is he gone?

I believe Ralph is currently closer to being NBA-ready than anyone else in the program.

He's a very good player and not having him back would be significant to the 2011-12 season.

Agreed. For a team that SERIOUSLY lacks skilled players, this one would hurt. Lots of guys who can run, jump, and play d, but not many who can make shots, free throws, pass, block shots, etc.

Call him soft, fine. I would also agree that he is a below average rebounder for his size, but he has basketball skills that too many players on this team don't possess. Scoring will be even more difficult next year without him.

so wait what? was the 24th what you had to be withdrawled by? or just when you could declare for the draft? what im asking is, can he still comeback without a penalty, or is he gone?

He has until May 8th to withdraw as long as he doesn't sign with an agent.

I believe Ralph is currently closer to being NBA-ready than anyone else in the program.

He's a very good player and not having him back would be significant to the 2011-12 season.

What you just said...

Granted, Mbakwe can't shoot outside of three feet, but he is REALLY good at at least one thing. Even if this is accurate - "closer to being NBA-ready than anyone else in the program", then consider what a horrific indictment this is of the current status of our program. Awful, just plain awful.

From Sid:

"What a mistake Gophers junior center Ralph Sampson III will make if he hires an agent and believes he will be drafted by an NBA team. Teammate Trevor Mbakwe never filed for the draft and will be back with Gophers coach Tubby Smith next year. But Sampson, who isn't nearly as qualified for the draft as Mbakwe, has filed. The word is that his father, former three-tie college player of the year and NBA great Ralph Sampson Jr., believes his son is not ready for the NBA while his mother, Aleize, believes the opposite."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/120927349.html

Go Gophers!!

This day could go down in Minnesota sports history. Twins lose 21-4. Vikings draft Ponder. And Ralph's going to the NBA.

If two of the young guards step up next season, with the return of Trevor and a solid season by Ralph, the Gophers have a chance to have a very solid year. I hope that Ralph takes advantage of his Sr. year at MN and plays his tail off and earns a shot in the NBA. I don't see any plus for him entering the draft this year when he is not even ranked in the top 100 draft candidates. If Sid's column is correct, it will be interesting to see if he takes his mother's gudance over basketball experts, his coaches and his fathers advice. It is troubling to me that Ralph is even contemplating this move.

If two of the young guards step up next season, with the return of Trevor and a solid season by Ralph, the Gophers have a chance to have a very solid year. I hope that Ralph takes advantage of his Sr. year at MN and plays his tail off and earns a shot in the NBA. I don't see any plus for him entering the draft this year when he is not even ranked in the top 100 draft candidates. If Sid's column is correct, it will be interesting to see if he takes his mother's gudance over basketball experts, his coaches and his fathers advice. It is troubling to me that Ralph is even contemplating this move.

From Myron's Q&A with Tubby-

What's the status of both Ralph Sampson III and Trevor Mbakwe?

"I think in Ralph’s situation, he's been going to Chicago and working out. Obviously his family and he feels like he wants to give it a shot. I’m supportive of that. But pretty soon, he’s got to make a decision. I really haven’t seen him on anybody’s list to be a first or second round pick. Neither is Trevor. But Trevor did lead the league in rebounding. We’ve been having ongoing dialogue. ... We’ve sent out the letters to try to get more information from the NBA."

A. Can somebody fill me in about Chicago workout's? Doesn't he have class?
B. If he is letting spring semester slip, he might be gone no matter what.

He has until May 8th to withdraw as long as he doesn't sign with an agent.

I believe the word you're looking for is "withdrawl".

Can somebody fill me in about Chicago workout's? Doesn't he have class?

Are you just going to keep asking this until someone responds so you can rage on about it? OK, I'll bite. See, here on planet Earth, we have these days called "Saturday" and "Sunday". Generally speaking, most universities do not hold class on those days outside of Finals week. Conceivably, one could travel to that remote outpost called "Chicago" on late Friday afternoon and spend nigh 60 hours there while missing nary a class. I'm not sure whether you attended college, but if you did, you'll know that it is also quite possible to carry a full credit load while still having 1-2 days off during the week. Since Ralph is a junior, it is quite possible that he could even set his schedule so that he has Fridays off, thus making it possible for him to spend as many as 84 uninterrupted hours in Chicago while missing no classes. Also, "workout's"? Did you attend your classes?

Message Board Tuff Guy

I took it that Ralph was in Chicago for more than just the weekend and you did nothing to disprove that.

Listen. Here on GopherHole, there are people we call jackasses. Generally speaking, on message boards people like to know everything, when in fact they live a pathetic life. Conceivably you are one of those people.

I took it that he was in Chicago more than just the weekend.

You know what they say about assuming...

How the hell do you know he goes down Fri-Sunday?

I don't. I have no idea, actually. I was merely positing a scenario wherein one could find adequate time for productive workouts while not missing class. It's not a difficult concept.

I only asked one other time, no need to be the biggest jackass on GH.

You insinuate that one of our players is blowing off class and "letting spring semester slip" with absolutely zero basis other than your own misguided suppositions, and I'm the jackass? Touché, good sir.

Even if he's there for a week at a time, who cares? These kids have two games per week from November to March, not to mention daily practices and workouts all year. D1 athletes are constantly balancing these types of schedules. To imply that he's blowing off school by travelling all the way to Chicago (1 hour flight) is being a bit dramatic. He's a smart kid, he'll be fine if he chooses to return.

I find this sentence to be troubling.

Please see below for reference:

I know this is kind of OT for the basketball board, but I'm concerned that there may be a run on the banks when everyone withdrawls their money. Bitches be crazy! E'rrybody withdrawlin' up in here!

Wait?

Sampson is just working out and seeing what he needs to improve, right? He can't seriously be considered leaving, can he?

Please see below for reference:

Man.. I've gotta get deeper into these threads. I am withdrawling my previous comment.

As for the topic.. I hope folks appreciate Ralph when he's named a second team All-Big Ten player.

9kaydl.jpg

Does anyone find it odd. ...

that there's not even a press release on the U of M's web site about Ralph declaring for the NBA draft (without an agent)? For the heck of it I looked up Morris (Michigan) and Shurna (Northwestern), and not surprisingly I found those schools took the time to put out a press release.

Nothing to see here

Very common for kids to apply and get professional critic. Only the a-holes are bent out of shape about this. Coleman and Tollackson did it too. Everybody calm down.

Trent Tucker apparently weighs in

"@MnHoops: Trent Tucker arguing Ralph Sampson could be a good fit to be drafted by Lakers late first round?"

Top Bottom