Sam Maresh

First of all the headline and lead sentence are phrased that Sam is a suspect in an assualt, and ties him as another athlete in trouble with the law. The second sentence reveals Sam admits he was a witness. And when you get to the police report on the "victim" it is sceptical at best. A cut over the eye that needed a couple stitches. The problem, the press who trumpet the First Amemdment seem to stop their reading right there. They either have no interest, once their rights are insured. Their cavalier disdain for the 5th and 14th Amendment needs someone to cram it to them. Were does a individual right to due process meet the right to a free press? Is the presumption of innocence invalid when it comes to the right to publish?

In many cases and stories they choose to not reveal the names or description of assailants. But when it suits them......

Shame on you WCCO. Don't ever tell me about your rights, until you honor all the rights enumerated.

Not to be rude, but WTF are you talking about? You think that WCCO is obligated by the 5th and 14th Amendments?

I agree with you that it could be considered sketchy reporting, but but bringing up Due Process is laughable.

Get ready to feel the pain pig boy. He's a comin'. I only wish it could start this year, but he'll be scouting who he'll disable next year. I already feel sorry for your players. Of course I have since they made that horrible decision to spend four to five years in a cornfield. Poor guys.

If Maresh is gone I am sure he would be welcome at NDSU. We have had so many injuries this year that our 2nd string running back moved to line backer for a game. Mike is Sam's bro, who played at NDSU, so I am sure he put in the good word.

huh?! :confused:

Hey Bronco: I hate to go grammar police on your Juco-educated brain, but it would be "whomever punched him." Further, Maresh needs to shut his mouth, tuck his beer muscles away and leave the situation. It doesn't take a Nuclear Physicist to figure out that bashing someone's head in to the point they need hospital attention is going to drive really bad attention to a team that doesn't need it. The entire squad needs to make better decisions and understand that they're in a fish bowl. As much as we can't condemn them out of hand, don't make dumb excuses for them either.

You're wrong, chief. "Whoever" is the appropriate usage there.

http://web.ku.edu/~edit/whom.html

Furthermore, "Nuclear Physicist" should not be capitalized. Only proper nouns get the first letter capitalized. Unless you're speaking German, which you weren't.

Thanks for your time.

:clap:

Are you serious? I'm not commenting on this particular incident, as we have no idea about Maresh and what he may or may not have done. But really? No offense, but if our players beat up everyone that talked trash about Gopher Football...there would be no one left to sit in the stands. Let's be honest here.

Once again, do we have to go over the fact that student athletes are representatives of the U of MN and are held to a higher standard? That's what they sign up for...that means that a regular kid can get in a fight, and no one will really know about it. If a player gets in a fight, it spreads like wildfire and chances are, will be reported. Same with smoking pot. Regular college kid...unless they get caught, no one would probably know. Player...gets drug tested and suspended.

People try to egg these guys on all the time, but one has to show restraint. It's like a job. If I beat up every customer or mine that was rude or pissed me off, I would be unemployed.

Well said. +1000

Bronko, I see you're bullying people on the football board too. Seriously man, you may have more anger issues than Royce White.

I think Bronko needs some anger management classes. His conflict resolution skills are top notch.

I remember when you could get into a fight and nobody would call the police. I can tell you this. Kids fighting will never stop and it isn't a black mark on the Gophers program. Give me a break.

I remember when you could get into a fight and nobody would call the police. I can tell you this. Kids fighting will never stop and it isn't a black mark on the Gophers program. Give me a break.

Normally this wouldn't be a black mark, but the scrutiny that MN athletics are currently under, it definitely is.

this is the exact type of thug this progam does not need. Boot him and lets move on.

Over reaction thread. What we have here is a guy that got beat up. He says it was Maresh. Maresh says no. Maresh has witnesses, guy does not. Guy goes to police, police open a case. This is a black mark on the program? Have people lost their minds? The only incident that is news is the White case and that is because he is highly publicized recruit. Has anyone seen one story about the football program outside of MN? College football players fighting has been goig on for generations. Nobody cares except winnies that either hate athletics (many at the U) or worriers. When Maresh gets arrested for more than a fight, get back to me. I might waste a minute worrying about it.

I'm very close to Sam and have listened to his story. Before I begin he is very upset with how it seems as if many assume he is guilty. I would also honestly say that Sam, at times is not very social. Until he is familiar and comfortable with people, he is very closed and comes across as not friendly....in fact he is not friendly at all. I would also state that as he gets to know you and is comfortable, he is one of the nicest, funnest guys you will ever meet.

Now the story: Sam witnessed a fight. The fight was, as Sam describes it, bad. The young man that did the damage to the "victim" got some hard shots in....but he wasn't alone. While the "victim" was on the ground a girl got involved by repeatedly kicking him in the head. Sam said that as he saw this he felt pretty bad for the guy on the ground. He walked up to him while he was still on the ground and offered his hand and asked if he was okay. Sam's friends told him not to get involved and that they should all leave....so they did.

From this account, all the discussion about who said what, who started it are all, looks bad for the program are all moot. What is sad is.... . if this is an accurate account of what happened.....The TV and Newspapers will probably never cover it and Sam will have had his name, in a sense, slandered. Let's all wait to pass judgement

I'm very close to Sam and have listened to his story. Before I begin he is very upset with how it seems as if many assume he is guilty. I would also honestly say that Sam, at times is not very social. Until he is familiar and comfortable with people, he is very closed and comes across as not friendly....in fact he is not friendly at all. I would also state that as he gets to know you and is comfortable, he is one of the nicest, funnest guys you will ever meet.

Now the story: Sam witnessed a fight. The fight was, as Sam describes it, bad. The young man that did the damage to the "victim" got some hard shots in....but he wasn't alone. While the "victim" was on the ground a girl got involved by repeatedly kicking him in the head. Sam said that as he saw this he felt pretty bad for the guy on the ground. He walked up to him while he was still on the ground and offered his hand and asked if he was okay. Sam's friends told him not to get involved and that they should all leave....so they did.

From this account, all the discussion about who said what, who started it are all, looks bad for the program are all moot. What is sad is.... . if this is an accurate account of what happened.....The TV and Newspapers will probably never cover it and Sam will have had his name, in a sense, slandered. Let's all wait to pass judgement

If this is true, there seriously needs to be consequences for the media's actions here. This is an outrage, again if true. I would hope Sam will be given the press to clear his name, though I doubt it.

This very much fits in with the experience my friends and I had with Sam, the media reports which appeared to be an over-hyped connection, and the overall impression of Sam Maresh that I have. A couple of my good friends have a similar personality type. Thanks for the insight, and thanks for posting.

Media

The media gets increased ratings and internet hits whenever a Minnesota athlete gets in trouble. The problem, IMHO, is that the media keeps lowering the bar for what they will report. A college kid being a "person of interest" or "witness" to a fight is now the lead story on the 10 pm news. We will soon see headlines like, "Gopher athlete a "person of interest" in rolling stop on Oak St."

All of the stories, headlines, and gnashing of teeth has been over a total of 3 misdemeanors over a 2 year span by over 100 college age men. I don't like that they occured, but it should be kept in perspective. Perspective does not get ratings for the media. They are praying for another Loveboat or Gangelhoff scandal.

I am sick and tired of those making snap judgments on these kids. Let it play out in the courts, people, put away the torches and pitchforks

The media gets increased ratings and internet hits whenever a Minnesota athlete gets in trouble. The problem, IMHO, is that the media keeps lowering the bar for what they will report. A college kid being a "person of interest" or "witness" to a fight is now the lead story on the 10 pm news. We will soon see headlines like, "Gopher athlete a "person of interest" in rolling stop on Oak St."

All of the stories, headlines, and gnashing of teeth has been over a total of 3 misdemeanors over a 2 year span by over 100 college age men. I don't like that they occured, but it should be kept in perspective. Perspective does not get ratings for the media. They are praying for another Loveboat or Gangelhoff scandal.

HA, really ironic I literally was going down 15th today past Bierman and saw a gopher player pulled over on his scooter, It looked like he was basically getting a warning, the cop(term used loosely, UMPD) was smiling, I can imagine WCCO and FOX9 rolling the 5pm news with "GOPHER FOOTBALL PLAYERS DRIVING DANGEROUSLY!, WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO PROTECT YOUR FAMILY", more at 6

It's getting stupid, and I'm serious, if Maresh is cleared, there NEEDS to be a retraction in the PP, Strib, and all news outlets that reported it.

Sam witnessed a fight. The fight was, as Sam describes it, bad. The young man that did the damage to the "victim" got some hard shots in....but he wasn't alone. While the "victim" was on the ground a girl got involved by repeatedly kicking him in the head. Sam said that as he saw this he felt pretty bad for the guy on the ground.

Storm, I appreciate you posting this second-hand account of what happened - thank you. Being able to put a personal touch on the story and provide some level of detail is helpful as an observer of the situation.

I find it interesting though that people are jumping all over a rush to judgment about this incident when they are defending Sam, yet you put the word VICTIM in quotes above. In Sam's own words the fight was bad and the recipient of the beating was repeatedly kicked while he was down. So why try to hedge your bets by putting victim in quotes? From Sam's own mouth the person was indeed the victim - there's no need to soften the blow (and i have no idea if you meant to diminish the victim by putting him in quotes - but that's how it reads) .

So my point is we as fans can't have it both ways - we can't on one hand say there shouldn't be a rush to judgment (with which I agree) but then try to distance ourselves from the recipient of the beating by putting their status in quotes...I'd say that's just as unfair. I'm pretty sure no one disputing that the guy was the victim of a beating - the only question should be "who did it"?

The same goes for those on this very board who have questioned the victim - who is the guy? What did he say? He probably deserved it! That'll teach him to smart off to a football player! If Maresh is innocent until proven guilty (which he should be) then the victim certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt as well.

Thanks again Storm - interesting read.

The big problem with the media is that if Maresh is found to be just a witness of this, it will hardly be mentioned on tv or in the newspaper. But when he was considered a suspect, it's everywhere.

Storm, I appreciate you posting this second-hand account of what happened - thank you. Being able to put a personal touch on the story and provide some level of detail is helpful as an observer of the situation.

I find it interesting though that people are jumping all over a rush to judgment about this incident when they are defending Sam, yet you put the word VICTIM in quotes above. In Sam's own words the fight was bad and the recipient of the beating was repeatedly kicked while he was down. So why try to hedge your bets by putting victim in quotes? From Sam's own mouth the person was indeed the victim - there's no need to soften the blow (and i have no idea if you meant to diminish the victim by putting him in quotes - but that's how it reads) .

So my point is we as fans can't have it both ways - we can't on one hand say there shouldn't be a rush to judgment (with which I agree) but then try to distance ourselves from the recipient of the beating by putting their status in quotes...I'd say that's just as unfair. I'm pretty sure no one disputing that the guy was the victim of a beating - the only question should be "who did it"?

The same goes for those on this very board who have questioned the victim - who is the guy? What did he say? He probably deserved it! That'll teach him to smart off to a football player! If Maresh is innocent until proven guilty (which he should be) then the victim certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt as well.

Thanks again Storm - interesting read.

ahhh......some more good old feigned objectivity on GH as well as a lesson in it for all of us. it just makes a guy all warm and fuzzy inside. please! :rolleyes:

it seems that there are some on GH who play this very obvious "game". many of you seem to throw the same objectivity that you demand out the window when it involves a gophers athlete, but you absolutely demand it when it is some joe-blow that is only making an acqusation without any proof. my guess is that some may actually be gophers fans, but the smart-money is on the overwhelming majority simply being smart-ass trolls or perhaps media personality blowhards who read this board (cough.....cough......kfan).

i.e. the smart-ass troll type who likes to call into shows like dan cole, d-bag dan barrerio and that little iowa hogeye b!tch justin gaard on kfan to rag on the gophers athletics program and then come back here and make a stupid little post about it for your fellow "hey i am just being objective" trolls to chew on.

rant over.

So which is Sam? A witness or a suspect? There exists a bit of difference between the two.

If he is a witness, I'd still be pi$$ed if I was Brewster after all the accusations against Gopher athletes that the TC media is drooling over. Brewster has to be pulling his hair out with the off field incidents. Come on guys, be smart and remove yourself from these bad scenes.

Clyde Tester
You are correct.....The man who was beat up was a victim.....in the sense that he was hit repeatedly while on the ground.....especially if someone else got involved by repeatedly kicking him. I guess when I put it in " " quotes I was reflecting to my days of fighting (long ago) Some one won and someone lost the fight....I never thought of the loser as a victim......but kicking someone while their down...Unacceptable. I stand corrected

Top Bottom