Sam Maresh Stuff

Honyocker

Gophers-In Good or Bad Times
Reaction score
Anyone out there want to stomp or confirm the stuff that keeps popping up about Sam Maresh? Who is this guy really? There is the brave, talented, family-oriented, idealized Minnesota-born, student athlete...and then there is also the guy who gets in fights, raises hell, a bit of a bully and not really that great a player. Who is he?

Anyone out there want to stomp or confirm the stuff that keeps popping up about Sam Maresh? Who is this guy really? There is the brave, talented, family-oriented, idealized Minnesota-born, student athlete...and then there is also the guy who gets in fights, raises hell, a bit of a bully and not really that great a player. Who is he?

First off, until I hear/see more via the legal proceedings I'll give Sam the benefit of the doubt. However, assuming the bad behavior stuff is true, he could still be all the things you list above. You haven't listed things that are clearly opposite of each other. Someone can be talented but fail to develop into a great player. You can be brave and family oriented but still be a guy who raises hell, gets in fights, and is a bit of a bully. And MN born/student athlete can be true alongside everything else.

The word I highlighted above is the issue. Fans have an idealized view of Sam because of how he overcame his medical challenges. He was given a lot of adulation (and deservedly so IMO) for how he approached a truly unfortunate series of events. He is also the MN kid who bleeds maroon and gold...something prized by a fan base who is too used to MN HS kids going outside the state for football. But that doesn't mean he isn't fallible.

Hell, Ray Lewis killed a man and he's one of the greatest linebackers of all time.

IDK, seems you have to elevate a bunch of pretty flimsy stuff to even ask this question in a serious way. Like everybody on this planet he's a little of everything. Mostly he's a young male who happens to be a Minnesota Gopher with an interesting past.

IDK, seems you have to elevate a bunch of pretty flimsy stuff to even ask this question in a serious way. Like everybody on this planet he's a little of everything. Mostly he's a young male who happens to be a Minnesota Gopher with an interesting past.

Bingo. A much more succinct summary of what I was trying to say.

I must admit that I have wondered the same thing about young Sam. We shall see as his athletic career progresses. There are so many athletes at the pro and college level whose public image is completely different than what is real. Hope he is the real deal on and off the field.

I must admit that I have wondered the same thing about young Sam. We shall see as his athletic career progresses. There are so many athletes at the pro and college level whose public image is completely different than what is real. Hope he is the real deal on and off the field.

Again, I get what you are saying. But I'm not sure how you apply it to Sam. This isn't a pro athlete, its a young guy. The "public image" that existed was of a hometown kid sticking around to play for the hometown school while overcoming medical adversity. He didn't market himself this way. There aren't ad campaigns crafted around this image. He doesn't have handlers/managers/publicists. That side of Sam actually IS Sam...He actually is a hometown kid who stayed to play for the hometown school. He actually is a young athlete who had to overcome some long medical odds to play again.

At no point do I think you can say that his "public image" is somehow completely different from what is real. All you can say is that who he is more complex than his decision to play here and fight his medical battles. Oddly enough, this was true before he was accused of any misbehavior. The "real" Sam has always been more than the "image" we have of him. The sooner folks start dealing with that and stop looking at him as someone who crafted his "public image" the better off we'll all be.

I don't know a much about Sam (personally), but I do remember being a 20 yr old kid. If we ostracisize every 20 yr old for getting into a fight, well I think there would be a lot of us on here with "questionable character". I have no idea how things went down, but I think we all know a lot of really good, respectful tough guys, who could/would get physical if pushed. What do you think the odds are that a 20 yr old Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, Ray Lewis, etc., might have been in a fight or two?

I guess I don't know if it is neccesarily a bad thing (depending on how everything went down), that Sam Maresh might have a little bit of nastiness to him, and I don't think that would disqualify him from being a respectful, family oriented, young guy.

However, I could be totally wrong and maybe the kid is a jerk (probably falls somewhere in between). That's ok though, as long as he stays out of trouble and can tackle John Clay...he's still cool in my book.

Did something new come out on Sam, or is this the same BS story we heard from every media outlet in Nov and haven't heard a peep of anything since?

Did something new come out on Sam, or is this the same BS story we heard from every media outlet in Nov and haven't heard a peep of anything since?

my guess is it is the later. personally, i think honyocker was perhaps just trying to "stir up" some heated discussion on a topic/person that he knew would generate clicks. fortunately the fish don't seem to be taking the bait. :)

Some need to take some time to research.

Hosea might want to check your facts about Ray Lewis and his criminal case. He didn't kill anyone someone in his group of friends did the actual crime Lewis was only involved in the case because his friend was at the club with him at the time. So says the courts and the witness testimony.

The getting in a fight isn't a big deal to me, assuming it's not the start of a longer chain of problems, I just hope he turns into an all-conference linebacker for the Gophers. Time will tell in that department, but I think he's got some work to do to get to the head of the depth chart.

Hosea might want to check your facts about Ray Lewis and his criminal case. He didn't kill anyone someone in his group of friends did the actual crime Lewis was only involved in the case because his friend was at the club with him at the time. So says the courts and the witness testimony.
Uh huh. OJ's innocent too. If you think he had absolutely no knowledge of anything, you're living in the wonderful land of make believe.

Thought I read somewhere that people who have serious surgeries such as Sam had, many times have some serious mental issues afterwards, such as different forms of depression, etc.

Not an excuse for him but maybe could be sub-conscious underlying issues that are acting out.

I'm not a doctor but one never knows as "the mind's a dangerous thing" copywrite TK.

Old Man Sam

Sams biggest problem is that he just isn't that good of a football player to begin with. He turned 20 years old midway through his senior winter wrestling season. Not too tough to be a man among boys when you are 3 years older then most people on the field in high school. The medical condition is too bad, wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Sams biggest problem is that he just isn't that good of a football player to begin with. He turned 20 years old midway through his senior winter wrestling season. Not too tough to be a man among boys when you are 3 years older then most people on the field in high school. The medical condition is too bad, wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Proof?

Everything I've read says he was born April 26, 1989 - meaning he turned 20 this spring, just like almost everyone else who graduated high school two years ago.

he sounds like a thug who has no place on this football team

Proof?

Everything I've read says he was born April 26, 1989 - meaning he turned 20 this spring, just like almost everyone else who graduated high school two years ago.

I've got proof...proof that dpodoll is right and Fuzz is full of it:
http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArt...0&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=1431295&Q_SEASON=2009

April 26, 1989. This means he was 18 when he wrestled. He turned 19 just before he graduated. He is currently 20.

Congrats Fuzz. You've shown that A) your math skills suck, B) you don't know how to use teh Google, C) you have a serious agenda to push, or D) some combo of A-C.

Maybe fuzz was was beaten by out by Sam in high school wrestling? Football? or for a girl? He just hasn't gotten over it.

I don't know a much about Sam (personally), but I do remember being a 20 yr old kid. If we ostracisize every 20 yr old for getting into a fight, well I think there would be a lot of us on here with "questionable character". I have no idea how things went down, but I think we all know a lot of really good, respectful tough guys, who could/would get physical if pushed. What do you think the odds are that a 20 yr old Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, Ray Lewis, etc., might have been in a fight or two?

This is funny coming from the smae guy who wants to kick carter off the team. Translation: Sam is white so lets give him the benefit of the doubt.

fuzzynuts is wrong about Sam's age but Greg Oden is about 40 years old

Hell, Ray Lewis killed a man and he's one of the greatest linebackers of all time.

This is freakin frackin hilarious. Any time you can use "killed a man" comedically, that is good writing right there.

This is funny coming from the smae guy who wants to kick carter off the team. Translation: Sam is white so lets give him the benefit of the doubt.

I was thinking the same thing as I read this thread. If Maresh were black, he would probably be under a lot more scrutiny. I guess I don't know why I say that other than that's the way it seems to be. Of course, all of these guys are football players so they are under more suspicion than usual anyway. Ultimately, they are 18-20 year-old big dudes and semi famous on campus and usually act accordingly.

Dear, sweet Jesus, if my behavior from age 18-22 were public fodder I would probably never be able to secure a legitimate job for the rest of my life.

Top Bottom