Sam Kraemer says Harbaugh deal could lead to raise for Kill

Stan

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowfullscreen="" style="display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; padding: 0px; border-radius: 5px; margin: 10px 0px; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902) 0px 1px 3px; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;" title="Embedded Tweet" height="210"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not sure there is a direct connect for Coach Kill's salary, but if Harbaugh brings in top priced assistants, it could me an a raise for Kill's asst coaches who Kill got guaranteed to be paid in the top half of B1G...so good news for keeping Claeys and other asst coaches in the fold!

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

Really going out on a limb and doing some strong journalism on that take.

And the economics of college football just continue to get more and more out of control. With the salaries to coaches, constant needs on the facilities end, and at some point here payment to players I have a feeling there will be others that follow UAB and just drop football because they can't financially compete.

Gotta love the logic that says Michigan hires a coach and pays him an insane salary so therefore Minnesota and everyone else needs to give their coaches a raise.

Not sure there is a direct connect for Coach Kill's salary, but if Harbaugh brings in top priced assistants, it could me an a raise for Kill's asst coaches who Kill got guaranteed to be paid in the top half of B1G...so good news for keeping Claeys and other asst coaches in the fold!

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

I'm guessing Hoke's assistants were paid pretty well, so I'm not sure it is a guarantee Kill's assistants would get a raise.

MN coach staff just did things that haven't been done in 40 yrs. consider leidner and the wrs...then consider doing things that havent been done for 40yrs. Its the Xs-Os of JK and crew

Jerry is paid just right. Win Thursday and go to the B1G championship game one of the next two years, stay healthy, et al then pay him $4 million a year like Ferentz and he stays until retirement. We have a step or two to take and if Kill gets that done then break the bank. We are good for Kill and his staff and they are good for us, but unless he develops a passing game pretty quickly a year like this could be our zenith vs a stepping stone to something better.

Basing coaches salaries by paying them to be in the top half of the conference is poor policy. It does nothing more than reinforce the bad habit of giving out raises every time your coaches’ salaries drop below the arbitrary conference average threshold.

Let’s say next year coaches’ salaries in the conference go up resulting in our assistants being paid in the bottom half. Let’s further assume the program goes 5-7 or worse next year. Would it really make sense to reward everyone with a raise? Probably not.

Even if we had a great year, coaches should probably be paid based on their market value (i.e., what would other programs be willing to pay them). Some assistants may need to be paid much more than the conference averages (Claeys perhaps?) while others possibly less.

Just think how absurd it would get if every B1G institution adopted this same policy?!? This UofM policy is a classic example of stupid is as stupid does; however, it does not surprise me.

MN coach staff just did things that haven't been done in 40 yrs. consider leidner and the wrs...then consider doing things that havent been done for 40yrs. Its the Xs-Os of JK and crew
Or 10 years, but who is counting.

New Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh will make around $5 million per year, with the same basic contract he had with the San Francisco 49ers, per prominent Michigan author John U. Bacon. That number is still among the highest in the nation, but lower than the previously reported $8 million figure.

Update, 1 p.m. ET: Michigan confirms it's $5 million a year for seven years, similar to his 49ers contract.

Football Scoop reports
Harbaugh will have "complete control" over the program, and "significant changes" are expected. His salary will rank around the top five nationally, depending on the exact figure, and he'll be in the top two in the conference along with Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer.

Where is the rest of that money going? Back into the staff, it appears -- a notable move in a conference that has been unwilling to invest in itself.

We played in a J1 bowl 10 years ago?

No, but we had 8+ wins a number of times under Mason. Why is everyone gushing over 8 wins when the Big Ten is arguably the worst it has ever been? The school should reward Kill for fielding a competent team during a period when everyone else is historically bad?

We played in a J1 bowl 10 years ago?

Oh big deal. We could have played in a J1 bowl 10 years ago had we not been picked over and the B10 not been in charge of who goes where. Had the bowls still been picking, we wouldn't be at Citrus this year either. Hey, we're all happy with JK. But let's not pretend he's doing anything that wasn't happening 10 years ago. If he can keep winning 8+ games a year, then he'll move past Mase very fast. But he isn't there yet. He hasn't beaten every team and he hasn't won 10 games. Let's hope he does and we can put this stupid debate to bed.

Hey, we're all happy with JK. But let's not pretend he's doing anything that wasn't happening 10 years ago.

OK, I'll stop pretending that we have the pig, jug and bell.

And I'll start pretending that Mason did that, too.

OK, I'll stop pretending that we have the pig, jug and bell.

And I'll start pretending that Mason did that, too.

Umm, in 2003 Mason did have the Axe and the Bell which we won at Penn State when they were much better then when Kill beat them. Not to mention beat Oregon in a Sun Bowl. That team had 1-2 more wins than this years team and had the exact same conference record. Plus this team could have very well had to play in San Diego or Jacksonville had the Big Ten not gotten involved. Just a terrible argument any way you slice it.

Umm, in 2003 Mason did have the Axe and the Bell which we won at Penn State when they were much better then when Kill beat them. Not to mention beat Oregon in a Sun Bowl. That team had 1-2 more wins than this years team and had the exact same conference record. Plus this team could have very well had to play in San Diego or Jacksonville had the Big Ten not gotten involved. Just a terrible argument any way you slice it.

Like I said, I'll start pretending that Mason held three rivalry trophies. You seem to have it down already.

Rip City

No, but we had 8+ wins a number of times under Mason. Why is everyone gushing over 8 wins when the Big Ten is arguably the worst it has ever been? The school should reward Kill for fielding a competent team during a period when everyone else is historically bad?

You have a bad attitude and you are wrong. Glen Mason won 8 games twice in 10 years. He won 10 games once.
So, 70% of the time he won 5 games a year....70 per cent of the time!!! People are gushing because we have been horrible for a long time. Can't you be happy we are one of the better teams in the Big Ten? We added Nebraska and have beaten them twice in a row. Or aren't they any good either? We have the jug and the pig but you'd rather complain than rejoice.

How many teams are historically good right now? We are the number 25 team in the country. Whine somewhere else.
Go to Motown and complain it's not really the Temptations, Diana Ross, or the Four Tops singing...it's only awesomely
gifted imposters. We are good versus the field, Ohio State is in the final four. Whine how they shouldn't be because the Big Ten sucks and the Gophers lost by a touchdown.

Nope. No impact. The contract does not guarantee they get paid in the top half of the Big Ten. It guaranteed the group of top assistants, as a group, were in the top 6 as defined by a survey that was released most recently in November 2014. No further adjustments are required under Kill's contract for assistants after the group is in the top 6 vs. the November 2014 survey. It was a short-term adjustment and not valid throughout Kill's tenure (although that's how the media and fans interpreted it.. and perhaps that's how Kill would like you to interpret it.. but it's not factual).

I wonder what Bernie Bierman was paid during his championship years and how his salary would inflate to today's dollars. Do you suppose he would be underpaid?

Oh big deal. We could have played in a J1 bowl 10 years ago had we not been picked over and the B10 not been in charge of who goes where. Had the bowls still been picking, we wouldn't be at Citrus this year either. Hey, we're all happy with JK. But let's not pretend he's doing anything that wasn't happening 10 years ago. If he can keep winning 8+ games a year, then he'll move past Mase very fast. But he isn't there yet. He hasn't beaten every team and he hasn't won 10 games. Let's hope he does and we can put this stupid debate to bed.

Weren't there numerous quotes from the B1G a month ago saying they wouldn't get involved and let the bowl pick the teams they wanted? After initially saying the B1G office would have more control they did a complete 180 prior to selection Sunday. I thought we would get passed again but thankfully it didn't happen.

Weren't there numerous quotes from the B1G a month ago saying they wouldn't get involved and let the bowl pick the teams they wanted? After initially saying the B1G office would have more control they did a complete 180 prior to selection Sunday. I thought we would get passed again but thankfully it didn't happen.
Pretty sure is was the opposite starting this season, the conference assigned teams to the bowls which is partly how we ended up in Citrus because Wisconsin was there last year.

Top Bottom