Saints player is recruiting Seantrel--Is this legal?

It's legal ... there's also video of Cris Carter chatting it up w/ Seantrel at an OSU game earlier this year.

Just get Glen Mason and SH in a room together and Grinnin' Glen's pearly whites will have SH in a trance in no time. You all know the grin, the same one that was frequently seen every saturday in the fall as a befuddled (but grinnin') Glen struggled to figure out a way to stop whatever defense he was facing that day.

I see Jenkins of the Saints is pitching for Seantrel Henderson to attend his alma mater, Ohio St. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Jenkins-Henderson-you-need-to-become-a-Buckeye-video.html Is this legal?

If so, we should use our NFL talent to pitch players. We got four NFL RBS (Barber, Maroney, Russell, Tapeh) who could pitch prospects, especially at the much needed RB position.

Actually it is not legal according to the NCAA rules, a player can ONLY be recruited by and emplyee of the school doing the recruiting.

Former player = booster

Boosters can not recruit for the school.

This is one of those gray areas. They can certainly meet and talk to each other, but the school cant set up the meeting. He is also allowed to contact those players as long as the student calls the player, not the other way around.

I don't know the legality, but my guess is Carter's talk wasn't a violation b/c it occurred on an official visit, and Jenkins isn't considered "contact" under NCAA bylaws. Just a guess though.

Well, can an NFL player use his time in the spotlight at a Super Bowl Media Event to make a video taped sales pitch to a player like what Malcom Jenkins has done?

Like I said its a gray area. The NFL player or NBA player etc cannot be at an official event and introduced to the recruit by anyone from the University. If they happen to "run" into each other, then so be it. The player's cannot not tell that player to attend said University but they can mentor or give advice. Again, it is one of those things that happens all the time and pretty much is impossible to punish someone for, unless that player does it on tape or live for everyone to see.

This is one of those gray areas. They can certainly meet and talk to each other, but the school cant set up the meeting. He is also allowed to contact those players as long as the student calls the player, not the other way around.

It isn't a gray area at all. Like you said, they can talk but the school and/or booster can't initiate the conversation/meeting.

They can have 'incidental' contact in a situation where the recruit and booster happen to bump in to one another at an event (for instance the booster is on the sideline for a game that the recruit attends and they happen to bump in to one another) but the school can't orchestrate a meeting (asking the booster to call or visit the recruit).

Reggie Bush calling Joe McKnight when USC was recruiting him comes to mind as one notable violation.

Like I said its a gray area. The NFL player or NBA player etc cannot be at an official event and introduced to the recruit by anyone from the University. If they happen to "run" into each other, then so be it. The player's cannot not tell that player to attend said University but they can mentor or give advice. Again, it is one of those things that happens all the time and pretty much is impossible to punish someone for, unless that player does it on tape or live for everyone to see.

ITS ON TAPE. See the Link.

It isn't a gray area at all. Like you said, they can talk but the school and/or booster can't initiate the conversation/meeting.

They can have 'incidental' contact in a situation where the recruit and booster happen to bump in to one another at an event (for instance the booster is on the sideline for a game that the recruit attends and they happen to bump in to one another) but the school can't orchestrate a meeting (asking the booster to call or visit the recruit).

Reggie Bush calling Joe McKnight when USC was recruiting him comes to mind as one notable violation.

I think we both agree here. What I ment by gray area, is that you rarely if at all are going to see a school get in trouble for this. This is the equivalent to jaywalking in terms of actually being enforced.

Lets not split hairs. If its illegal for a former Ohio State player to pitch Seantrel Henderson at a SuperBowl media event and have its tape distributed via the internet, its illegal. Call out the Dogs or at least the UM Police!!

Ask the Oklahoma WR that had contact with Dion Sanders how gray this area is...

Top Bottom