Gophers - 56
Indiana - 63
Michigan - 65
Rutgers - 78
Illinois - 86
Purdue - 112

Remainder of the B10 slate should be fun/interesting

Nice formula.

Penn state ranked higher than northwestern after yesterday.

Unless McEvoy can start completing easy passes to wide open receivers, I think the Badgers are overrated.

I actually think UW and UMN are pretty similar teams this season. Both have good defenses, good run games, but are limited by inconsistent/not very good QB play.

Surely, no one still gives these Sagarin ratings real credence, or takes them at all very seriously, do they?

A win over a previously unbeaten team on the road can have that effect. Iowa at 40 is a bit befuddling though.

Particularly since Pitt (their signature win) lost to Akron yesterday.

I get a little irritated by the Sagarin ratings. What I've never known is how he arrives as his starting values, but, it seems to me, that his methodology results in a team being handicapped (or helped) by a low (or high) starting value for quite some time.

Surely, no one still gives these Sagarin ratings real credence, or takes them at all very seriously, do they?

Since there isn't much else at this point in the college football season, they're probably given more credence than they would be in basketball where there is RPI, BPI, Pomeroy to compete with them.

Since there isn't much else at this point in the college football season, they're probably given more credence than they would be in basketball where there is RPI, BPI, Pomeroy to compete with them.

Exactly my point.

It's just a formula.

With any formula, you can poke holes in it that it doesn't evaluate some stat enough.

What is a bigger value? Win head-to-head or which team has a better record?

In college basketball there is 3 times the data per team. And the rankings still aren't that great in hoops.

Particularly since Pitt (their signature win) lost to Akron yesterday.

I get a little irritated by the Sagarin ratings. What I've never known is how he arrives as his starting values, but, it seems to me, that his methodology results in a team being handicapped (or helped) by a low (or high) starting value for quite some time.

If I understand the attached correctly, he explicitly starts with a Bayesian approach for the first few games only.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt12.htm

Top Bottom