Sagarin Predictions: Week 3

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
While we're not favorites by the formula for the rest of the way, there are certainly some close matchups on the horizon. Iowa, Northwestern, Michigan and Illinois are all within a field goal or less and the game at Illinois is a pick 'em as of now. Only two games - Wisconsin and Nebraska - project to be touchdown or more losses at this point.

Week three can be found here: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?40134-Sagarin-Predictions-Week-3

Sagarin's ratings can be found here: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt12.htm

I take [home team rating + 2.42 (home field advantage)] - [away team rating] to show spreads.

Minnesota, #60, 71.96 PREDICTOR rating. Results/predicted lines in parentheses.

@ UNLV (W, 30-27)
vs UNH (W, 44-7)
vs Western Michigan (W, 28-23)
vs Syracuse (W, 17-10)
@ Iowa (+1.5)
vs Northwestern (+1.5)
@ Wisconsin (+8)
vs Purdue (+5.5)
vs Michigan (+3)
@ Illinois (Pick)
@ Nebraska (+14.5)
vs Michigan State (+4)

Final record: 4-8 (0-8)/5-7 (1-7).

Good chance to win (>6 spread favoring Gophers):
Close wins (0-6 spread favoring Gophers):
Toss up (Pick 'em): @Illinois
Close losses (0-6 spread favoring opponent): @Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State
Good chance to lose (>6 spread favoring opponent): @Wisconsin, @Nebraska

Oops, that should be titled Week 4. Oh well.

I can't remember: what was the Sagarin prediction for the Syracuse Game? I'm thinking we were Underdogs for that as well. If anything, it's a nice motivator.

I can't remember: what was the Sagarin prediction for the Syracuse Game? I'm thinking we were Underdogs for that as well. If anything, it's a nice motivator.

The numbers had us at -4.5 against the Orange. This Saturday will be the first game this year where the formula has us losing going in.

What will change is our SOS will start getting a lot better as we go through the Big Ten season. Saturday will be an interesting game, with Iowa having a tough year so far and us having momentum. The kind of things the computer can't quantify. I think we either win big or lose if it is close.

Top Bottom