Sad News- Lawrence Phillips found dead in prison

He was a very good rb, but a horrible person.

Agree with above-read the details of the assault on his college GF who was a volleyball player at Nebraska. He was a sadistic, violent criminal so I am having a hard time glorifying his talent.

I'm conflicted on this one. Phillips did some despicable things and a part of me says good riddance.
Another part of me wishes that he was shown a different path. Phillips had a rotten childhood. Some thought it was amazing that Tom Osborne was able to get him to enroll at Nebraska. Coach Osborne rode that horse hard and solely on athletics, Nebraska won.
Admittedly, I don't know how Phillips was handled at Nebraska. For all I know, he could have been given every resource possible, but still went down the wrong path.

Wonder if his brain will be sent in for research. Seems to be classic behaviors of CTE.

I'm conflicted on this one. Phillips did some despicable things and a part of me says good riddance.
Another part of me wishes that he was shown a different path. Phillips had a rotten childhood. Some thought it was amazing that Tom Osborne was able to get him to enroll at Nebraska. Coach Osborne rode that horse hard and solely on athletics, Nebraska won.
Admittedly, I don't know how Phillips was handled at Nebraska. For all I know, he could have been given every resource possible, but still went down the wrong path.

Huh? How in the hell can you be conflicted? He was shown a different path and still totally screwed it up. What's sad is the harm he inflicted on others.

The Nebraska rap sheet is a reminder that they used different steroids back then.

Huh? How in the hell can you be conflicted? He was shown a different path and still totally screwed it up. What's sad is the harm he inflicted on others.
Was he shown a different path? Seriously, I don't know. Just because he got a free ride to Nebraska doesn't mean he was ever mentored or had consequences for his actions.
Ultimately, I know that Phillips is responsible for his actions.

Wonder if his brain will be sent in for research. Seems to be classic behaviors of CTE.
It depends on what his family says. I second the thought that it would be good for CTE research.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Was he shown a different path? Seriously, I don't know. Just because he got a free ride to Nebraska doesn't mean he was ever mentored or had consequences for his actions.
Ultimately, I know that Phillips is responsible for his actions.

I doubt he was disciplined at all. I have said it before and will say it again, Nebraska football is as crooked as it gets (always has been, always will be). Remember, he is a product of Dr. Tom. This is the same guy that everyone fawns over but Osborn was also helping pump steroids into players to win. Again, not making that up, there have been former players that admit that fact. Phillips was a thug. I hate how the ugly and the evil are glorified.

I doubt he was disciplined at all. I have said it before and will say it again, Nebraska football is as crooked as it gets (always has been, always will be). Remember, he is a product of Dr. Tom. This is the same guy that everyone fawns over but Osborn was also helping pump steroids into players to win. Again, not making that up, there have been former players that admit that fact. Phillips was a thug. I hate how the ugly and the evil are glorified.

I'm with you and I've made this point here before. After Phillips beat that girl to a bloody pulp, there was a pretty vocal movement to get Phillips off the team. Osborne tried to make it look like he was a decent kid that just made another mistake and he was doing Phillips a favor by letting him play. Dr. Tom is as dirty as anyone else in college football. When I was growing up, Osborne and Paterno were the pillars of integrity in college football. Yuck.

It's not that sad, he truly was the scum of the earth, a waste would be an understatement

I certainly understand why you may say that but I would go with a deeply disturbed and troubled young man and now man. While I certainly would no excuse him from being responsible for his actions I'm also not sure he was all there mentally.

I'm with you and I've made this point here before. After Phillips beat that girl to a bloody pulp, there was a pretty vocal movement to get Phillips off the team. Osborne tried to make it look like he was a decent kid that just made another mistake and he was doing Phillips a favor by letting him play. Dr. Tom is as dirty as anyone else in college football. When I was growing up, Osborne and Paterno were the pillars of integrity in college football. Yuck.

So very, very true. Problem is, Osborn is still held in high regards by most. Sad.

Not disciplined? He was kicked off the team..... for a day.

Dr. Tom hired a body guard for his girlfriend to keep her safe from LP while he continued to play FB. Osborne knew what he was and didn't care. You are right - he was dirty.

I see on Husker board that he was a favorite player for many. While the talk is mostly about how sad it is, very few are tough on his behavior. That I find sad.

I agree with those who say they have a hard time glorifying his talent, and an equally hard time with those who protected him from his just discipline. I'll also assume none of you are cheering for Adrian Peterson on Sundays.

I agree with those who say they have a hard time glorifying his talent, and an equally hard time with those who protected him from his just discipline. I'll also assume none of you are cheering for Adrian Peterson on Sundays.
The situations are not even remotely the same. Peterson emulated his own father and went overboard in disciplining his child. While he hasn't exactly been repentant he has accepted that it's no longer considered appropriate. I was disciplined in a similar manner if I hadn't waited until my mid 30s to have a child I might have emulated my father. The point is, even if done inappropriately, the intent was to teach right from wrong Philips never changed and even got worse to the point of committing murder. He could never comply with social norms even with millions of dollars on the table.

Sad News- Lawrence Phillips found dead in prison

This is sad? More like justice. Who cares? The guy was a thug.

No. I'm not. And as I posted over in the Vikings thread on the OT board, I lost a ton of respect for Mike Zimmer when I first noticed that AP had been named a Vikings captain.

But as others have said, AP's incident seems to be an isolated one, whereas Phillips has been nothing but trouble his entire teen to adult life.

obvi troubled. the rest of should be grateful we don't have those demons.

Dr. Tom hired a body guard for his girlfriend to keep her safe from LP while he continued to play FB. Osborne knew what he was and didn't care. You are right - he was dirty.

To bad Nebraska fans don't start treating the situation with Dr Tom like Jo P. They never will see the light.

Top Bottom