Saban & Smart call for increased regulation on NIL

These discussions are going to continue on and on by many people of all backgrounds relating to college sports. No end in sight until a player really screws up with it.

There are going to be “haves” and “have-nots”. Real good. Now, they are concerned about the “have-nots”?

What they should be concerned about are the players stuck in the Transfer Portal.

Naturally Alabama and Georgia would like regulations on NIL. They already get Top 3 ranked classes each year.
Yeah, for the schools already getting the best players every year the last thing they want is for other schools to have a chance to buy their way into the market of top flight talent. They could care less about the little guys, they just don't want to lose the stranglehold they already have on the best of the best talent wise.

Yeah, for the schools already getting the best players every year the last thing they want is for other schools to have a chance to buy their way into the market of top flight talent. They could care less about the little guys, they just don't want to lose the stranglehold they already have on the best of the best talent wise.
The rich complaining about the little guys cutting into their haul.

How appalling! There ought to be a law against the poor.

Unfortunately, if you're a Gopher fan, we are the poor and will continue to get poorer if NIL isn't corralled or regulated in some way. Don't see any sugar daddies coming the help the Gophs which means we'll be probably limited to 3 star quality players in the future as this continues to evolve as most of the 4 and 5 star players will be bank rolled.

Unfortunately, if you're a Gopher fan, we are the poor and will continue to get poorer if NIL isn't corralled or regulated in some way. Don't see any sugar daddies coming the help the Gophs which means we'll be probably limited to 3 star quality players in the future as this continues to evolve as most of the 4 and 5 star players will be bank rolled.
Time will tell how this all will evolve but I don't think it is going to have a massive impact on the type of players we are able to bring in.

This will have a far bigger impact on the teams that were already battling for those top flight recruits every year. There is still going to be plenty of talented players to go around and frankly I don't see Fleck as the kind of coach that would be interested in players that only care about money anyway.

Both are worried that now that "paying" athletes is allowed they will lose the competitive edge they enjoyed when such things were done in secret.

To me this comes across as we are worried because certain schools... Texas A& M... have more money they are willing to spend.

To me this comes across as we are worried because certain schools... Texas A& M... have more money they are willing to spend.
I definitely agree with that. I just fear this has negative repercussions for us as well. We will see.

I definitely agree with that. I just fear this has negative repercussions for us as well. We will see.
Certainly has been a ton of change with the extra covid years, transfer portal and NIL all springing up in the last few seasons.

Will be interesting to see what things look like when the dust settles. I just think it is funny to read some of the posts acting like all of the sudden the college football landscape is no longer level when it hasn't been level for a long long time.

Is there any place where one can see how much a player has received for NIL?
The only ones I am aware of is Tanner Morgan set up a Cameo account and the offensive line appeared at Baldy's BBQ in Lakeville.
Maybe there were more opportunities for the players that were not public. If not, this seems like NIL for the University of Minnesota at Moorhead.

Would you trust the SEC to regulate NIL?
Would I trust the SEC to regulate NIL rules developed by the NCAA to govern all collegiate athletics? No.

Would I trust the SEC to regulate their own NIL rules developed and agreed to by the majority of SEC schools? Yes.

This. Alabama and Georgia are worried about this because it will undoubtedly allow other teams to steal away some players. But I'm going to side with Saban and Smart. Alabama and Georgia are going to pull top players regardless. The NIL deals that lower stature teams are introducing are going to pull desirable players within the Gophers reach away. And I'm not arguing against NIL deals. But they should be above board. Things like the Texas non-profit for OL stink, imo. And I really think the NIL opens scary doors for teams and boosters trying to coax away players from their current schools.

I just don't see how there aren't going to be some really unfortunate side effects to this. Concrete rules have to be put in place and a regulatory arm of the NCAA should be tasked exclusively with enforcing those rules.

I long for the old days, try to get some good coachable kids on your team and win your conference. Go to the Rose Bowl and cheer for them to all graduate. Now its get it so we have a galactic champion and pay those guys a bunch of money no matter the way so you can get the best of the best, who gives a crap if they get an education. College football is near aneurism.

Top Bottom