Saban Retiring. Was one heck of a run.

Good time to get out. The game is changing too much too fast.

Poster on Twitter trolled Herbstriet's love letter to Saban with something to the effect of "I understand why ya'll shafted FSU to get Bama in now."

I would be nervous if I were Texas. Not saying Sarkesian will leave now but could be next guy after. You know let the next guy, who will be compared to Saban, struggle to live up to fans expectations and be the lamb that fails. Then Sark gets to roll in as the rembered coach and play hero.

It will be the guy from Oregon. Dan Lanning. That's who I'd want. Now he may not want to leave Oregon since they've now joined the premier league in America.

I don't see Sark as a good fit and I don't see Dabo being interesting to Bama.

How's this from left field. Pete Carroll.

literally as soon as the news hit Twitter, I was seeing Lanning's name being floated out there as one of the leading candidates. maybe a lucky guess, or maybe somebody knew something.

Peon Sanders already has his Louis packed praying for a call.

Ya, poor Nick. Such a disadvantage at a university that doesn't emphasize football. ;)
It's not that. It's the hours of time vampires you have to deal with in conversations you have to have with players and parents of players that want more money for their kid to stay.

I have a few friends in the college football coaching world. After one of their bowl games, they said within 48 hours they had 10 meetings with players and parents that were asking for more money for their kid not to enter the portal.

Old school coaches like Saban are not going to play this game. It's too tiring, time consuming, and frustrating.

Saban Retiring, Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick out at their current jobs......Lot of big names either leaving the game or moving to a new role of some kind.

And yet Ferentz seems to be sticking around at Iowa, really thought he might hang it up after this past season, especially with all the stuff that went down involving his son.

I'm old and I've seen a lot of great coaches, but I agree he's the best of this era by far and puts up a great resume against coaches from earlier eras. What I always liked about him is that he was intense without being a big-time dick.
Amazing how easy the game of football is when you have the best player at every position

His last play of his career was awful. Sad to see him end his tenure on a bad note. It seemed like he did not know it was OT. Will he in a few months coach again?
Don't love the playcall but Milroe's running was clearly their best offense all day so I don't blame them for putting the ball in his hands. Michigan's defensive line blowing up Alabama's offensive line ruined the play. With the push Michigan had on that play it didn't really matter what play Alabama ran.

He always had an overwhelming talent advantage. Plus he only played about 2 tough non-conference games in 17 years at Alabama.
He had a talent advantage because he was the one who constructed his roster, part of the job of a college head coach. And your statement about their nonconference games is just flat out incorrect. And I don't have to point out the obvious that he coached in the toughest conference and division in the country.

He had a talent advantage because he was the one who constructed his roster, part of the job of a college head coach. And your statement about their nonconference games is just flat out incorrect. And I don't have to point out the obvious that he coached in the toughest conference and division in the country.
He deserves a ton of credit, obviously, but you also have to factor in the nature of college recruiting. Some programs start on third base because of their name, history, and location. It’s a hell of a lot easier to build a great roster at someplace like Bama, Florida, Michigan, Texas, USC, etc. Or UNC, Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky for basketball. And the more you win at those schools, the easier it gets—at least until the recent transfer portal/NIL mess.

If Saban had taken a job here (or Kansas State, Washington State, Utah, etc), instead of Bama, does he have 7 rings? Does he have any?

Again, probably the GOAT CFB coach, but it’s hard to compare him against guys like Belichick, Popovich, or Phil Jackson since the college world is so different.

He deserves a ton of credit, obviously, but you also have to factor in the nature of college recruiting. Some programs start on third base because of their name, history, and location. It’s a hell of a lot easier to build a great roster at someplace like Bama, Florida, Michigan, Texas, USC, etc. Or UNC, Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky for basketball. And the more you win at those schools, the easier it gets—at least until the recent transfer portal/NIL mess.

If Saban had taken a job here (or Kansas State, Washington State, Utah, etc), instead of Bama, does he have 7 rings? Does he have any?

Again, probably the GOAT CFB coach, but it’s hard to compare him against guys like Belichick, Popovich, or Phil Jackson since the college world is so different.
I mean yeah obviously it's easier to win at a big name program, but nobody at all of these big programs has ever done what he did, hence why he's considered the greatest. The pro sports comparison is apples and oranges I agree - on the one hand college sports are generally a much less even playing field, on the other hand Saban has to turn his roster over every 3 years or so while those coaches had Brady/Duncan/MJ for extended periods of time.

Amazing how easy the game of football is when you have the best player at every position
Not that simple. He was one helluva football coach. He got the most out of those kids, for the most part.

It will be the guy from Oregon. Dan Lanning. That's who I'd want. Now he may not want to leave Oregon since they've now joined the premier league in America.

I don't see Sark as a good fit and I don't see Dabo being interesting to Bama.

How's this from left field. Pete Carroll.

Many Oregon coaches have left, few have found success away from Daddy Phil.

Don't love the playcall but Milroe's running was clearly their best offense all day so I don't blame them for putting the ball in his hands. Michigan's defensive line blowing up Alabama's offensive line ruined the play. With the push Michigan had on that play it didn't really matter what play Alabama ran.
Plus the poor snap ruined the timing. It was wide open to the left side under Michigan's right end. The pulling guard actually had no one to block.

Plus the poor snap ruined the timing. It was wide open to the left side under Michigan's right end. The pulling guard actually had no one to block.
100% accurate. The QB panicked after the low snap. Play looked like they wanted to trap the 3 or 5 hole and the QB hit the 1 hole, which was where all of Michigan's push was coming from. Will never say with certainty he would have scored, but didn't give himself a chance.

Top Bottom