Ryan James gives Gopher Updates on KFAN

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Ryan James was on with Gaard on KFAN Sunday morning.

A few bullet points:

on the portal: Garcia a big 'get' for the program. James really likes Cooper - a pass-first PG, floor leader, and can score if needed.

Parker Fox is a very hard worker. physical. can guard the post if needed. really praised the work ethic.

Battle, Garcia and Fox will be a very strong front-line. give the team versatility because they can play multiple positions.

on the incoming FR: Carrington won Mr Basketball in MN because he was a complete player. Good shooter, but more to his game than just shooting. mature. Jaden Henley is a player to watch. up to 6'7"/6'8" - really long arms. disruptive on defense. surprising good ball handler. offensive game needs work.

on recruiting: HS and AAU coaches are telling James that Ben Johnson and his staff are very persistent recruiters. identify targets and keep in contact. make sure recruits have designated seats available for all home games, so they sit with other recruits. hearing a lot of positive feedback on recruiting.

Nolan Winter has potential to 'blow up' on the AAU circuit. Boden Kapke is another player whose stock is rising. Chatman and Freitag really strong guards. All of those players are getting a lot of attention from the Gophers.
another player to watch is the kid from Colorado (Betts?) - up-and-comer, has relatives in MN. family owns a popular pizza joint in Brainerd?

that is what I remember off the top of my head.

A few bullet points:

on the portal: Garcia a big 'get' for the program. James really likes Cooper - a pass-first PG, floor leader, and can score if needed.

Parker Fox is a very hard worker. physical. can guard the post if needed. really praised the work ethic.

Battle, Garcia and Fox will be a very strong front-line. give the team versatility because they can play multiple positions.

on the incoming FR: Carrington won Mr Basketball in MN because he was a complete player. Good shooter, but more to his game than just shooting. mature. Jaden Henley is a player to watch. up to 6'7"/6'8" - really long arms. disruptive on defense. surprising good ball handler. offensive game needs work.

on recruiting: HS and AAU coaches are telling James that Ben Johnson and his staff are very persistent recruiters. identify targets and keep in contact. make sure recruits have designated seats available for all home games, so they sit with other recruits. hearing a lot of positive feedback on recruiting.

Nolan Winter has potential to 'blow up' on the AAU circuit. Boden Kapke is another player whose stock is rising. Chatman and Freitag really strong guards. All of those players are getting a lot of attention from the Gophers.
another player to watch is the kid from Colorado (Betts?) - up-and-comer, has relatives in MN. family owns a popular pizza joint in Brainerd?

Awesome SON! Any Ihnen tidbits you can recall? Thanks!

A few bullet points:

I know a head coach and am a good friend of an assistant coach of one of the targets, and they told me Johnson and/or Thorson are there all the time watching this target. Both of those coaches really like Ben Johnson (and Thorson). This seems to jive with what Ryan James was saying on KFAN. Who knows how many of those guys we will end up getting....but if they don't go the U it wont be because they were outworked. I'm not sure that was the case a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

A few bullet points:

Thanks! Nice to find information like this instead of the bullshit that's hijacked some other threads.

A few bullet points:

Thanks for the recap!

So apparently I missed the memo but using all 13 scholarships is like writing a letter with a quill and ink as opposed to typing an email, but how many spots do we technically have open for next year minimum?

Carrington/Henley/Ihnen/Battle/Garcia/Fox/TT/JOJ/Payne So in theory 4? Obviously there is a ton in the air yet with transfers/turning pro etc a lot can happen but by most logic here we take 2-3 freshman and then fill any other departures with spring transfers seem about right?

Just trying to think what our priority list would be. Obviously Chatman at the guard spot. We thinking Winter is priority 1 at the F/C spot? If by chance we got both we done outside of a huge target saying yes? I'd have to assume they would take Kapke if we had those 2 in the mix, be interesting what they would do with a kid like Betts then.

I know a head coach and am a good friend of an assistant coach of one of the targets, and they told me Johnson and/or Thorson are there all the time watching this target. Both of those coaches really like Ben Johnson (and Thorson). This seems to jive with what Ryan James was saying on KFAN. Who knows how many of those guys we will end up getting....but if they don't go the U it wont be because they were outworked. I'm not sure that was the case a couple of years ago.
Could be.

Only thing that matters is getting them to MN.

Thanks for the recap!

So apparently I missed the memo but using all 13 scholarships is like writing a letter with a quill and ink as opposed to typing an email, but how many spots do we technically have open for next year minimum?

Carrington/Henley/Ihnen/Battle/Garcia/Fox/TT/JOJ/Payne So in theory 4? Obviously there is a ton in the air yet with transfers/turning pro etc a lot can happen but by most logic here we take 2-3 freshman and then fill any other departures with spring transfers seem about right?

Just trying to think what our priority list would be. Obviously Chatman at the guard spot. We thinking Winter is priority 1 at the F/C spot? If by chance we got both we done outside of a huge target saying yes? I'd have to assume they would take Kapke if we had those 2 in the mix, be interesting what they would do with a kid like Betts then.
I don't want to get into the battle of what we should have done this year. Going forward though, I would be all in favor of filling out the fall class with freshman. Every year someone leaves. I can't think of a year in the past 10 where that hasn't been the case. You then fill those spots with transfers.

I like my odds of getting two or three solid freshmen a whole lot better if I sign 4 than if I sign two or three. I don't know why a coach has to keep them all happy. They compete to win a job. If they can't win the job, they need to either get better or go to a level they can play at.

Thanks for the recap!

Cooper will be back also. If no one transfers or leaves early like Garcia or Battles, it is 3. I would guess if Kapke, Chatman and Winter all want to commit or Betts, we would take them. I think they want a wing, point guard and an inside guy. If they only get about 2 of those guys, I could see them holding 1 for the portal. It would be a veteran combo guard.

A few bullet points:

Betts family owns Zorbaz up in Brainerd. On Prep Hoops, he's ranked 87th, one spot ahead of Winter at 88th. Believe he's 6'9" with a 7'2" Wingspan
Thanks for the recap!

Technically we have three, two not being used and Samuels. Guessing somebody transfers or maybe one of Battle or Garcia goes pro so I think we could recruit four.

Point/Combo Guard Chatman
two Guard/Wing type. Christie or Pierce
4/5 type Betts/Winter/ Kapke
Chatman's the big one, but if you can grab him and say Christie then get one of Betts or Winter. I would take Kapke if he wants to be here as a fourth, mainly because once Fox is gone after Payne, I am not sure Thompson's the answer in the post, I would want Boden as insurance at that point

Thanks for the recap!

For me, because we have Payne and Carrington in the fold, I think #1 Chatman (or another guard that can play point) then we have the kind of foundation where Ben can add a variety of different pieces to that core.

For me, because we have Payne and Carrington in the fold, I think #1 Chatman (or another guard that can play point) then we have the kind of foundation where Ben can add a variety of different pieces to that core.
I agree, talent wise I think Chatman is #1. I have always really wanted Winter because I agree with RJ, I think he has huge upside and is going to blow up. Plus locking up a local kid with family ties here is pretty massive. I was honestly hoping to lock him up by now so the big big boys don't come calling. No matter how much Ben works or WInter's connections to the U, the game changes when the Duke/AZ/KU/UK/UNC's come calling. I would assume that was part of what RJ meant in the interview that he is on their radars now.

That is similar to what he said on the talk gopher buckets podcast.

Top Bottom