Ryan Field Getting Renovated

Would like to visit after the upgrades. Went with some buddies in November 2017 and we lost 39-0. It was pouring rain. You could hear a pin drop it was so quiet. If Penn State 2019 was the peak of the Fleck era thus far, Ryan Field and Northwestern 2017 was absolutely the valley (for me at least).

Looks like I'm going to do this. Fly down with my 4th grade son that morning. Head to my buddies house which is about a 20 minute walk to the stadium. Go to the game with him and his kids, and fly back that night. Is there literally ANY risk that this will be a night game, or even a 3:30 game? How long in advance do they announce the game time?

Looks like I'm going to do this. Fly down with my 4th grade son that morning. Head to my buddies house which is about a 20 minute walk to the stadium. Go to the game with him and his kids, and fly back that night. Is there literally ANY risk that this will be a night game, or even a 3:30 game? How long in advance do they announce the game time?
As mentioned previously, jNW is the last FBS team without permanent lights so its doubt it. It **could** be an afternoon game but I assume we are relegated to noon on espnU or btn

Would like to visit after the upgrades. Went with some buddies in November 2017 and we lost 39-0. It was pouring rain. You could hear a pin drop it was so quiet. If Penn State 2019 was the peak of the Fleck era thus far, Ryan Field and Northwestern 2017 was absolutely the valley (for me at least).
That was the absolute worst road game I've ever attended and I've seen my share of stinkers.

Between the weather and the performance...awful

United both ways -- lowest I see is 97 right now.

6:30 - 8:06 Leaving
9:15 - 10:50 Returning

Edit: I found the flight on google flights yesterday -- but I was still able to find it on Kayak for 10$ more today.
Ohare is a massive United hub.
Midway is a Southwest hub.

The last two games of that season were brutal. We all know to whom the loss was the game after ... :(

I believe that was the one that sent Croft packing. Goph fans were still wondering why 3rd string Seth Green wasn't seeing the field ...

That was the absolute worst road game I've ever attended and I've seen my share of stinkers.

Between the weather and the performance...awful
Over the years, I watched all of those losses at Northwestern on TV and it was a miserable, dreary feeling even in front of the TV, with win hard to come by. I think early in the Kill era one of the LBs had a pick six to change the game early and we won for once.

The dreadful games at Evanston, going back to the Mason era, and that 2017 was really a bad one kept me away from what considered to be a horrible likely experience and worse drive home.

I sometimes try for a "sure" win going to a struggling program for a road game. 2014 at Illinois for example and we all know how badly that one ended, but it was a nice day and and under-rated campus, town and stadium despite the loss. I bit the bullet and went to NU in 2019 after the rough road trip to Iowa City and it was a nice win, although somewhat underwhelming.

Purdue should be an automatic road trip this year, but I may not have it in me to go there this year. A loss would be the opposite of the feeling I had in Boulder a few days ago. After 2019 I am not sure I am ready for a another brutal, Rose Bowl derailing gut punch road game like Iowa was.

I never worried about the outcome at places like Penn State or MIchigan where loss would not be a shock, and just enjoyed the experience, but losing on the road to the lower rung teams is always a tough day for me as a fan.

Back to to the topic, I look forward to Northwestern having a great stadium in five years or so. I hope they start over or demolish all but the west side (tower side) and make it really great.

Last edited:

Ok, just bought five tickets for $80 including fees. Two for us, and three for my friend in Evanston and his boys. Not going to tell the boy until that day - I'm sure he'll wonder why we are getting up so early...

SWA now flies into O'Hare as well as Midway, which is optimal for us North Siders and in/out for games in Evanston.
You can take the train almost all the way from Midway to Ryan Field, though. :D

(would a person want to do that ... not sure ... )

I have done it, it takes almost two hours. And the answer is, no, you don't want to do that unless it's your only option other than walking or taking the bus.

I have done it, it takes almost two hours. And the answer is, no, you don't want to do that unless it's your only option other than walking or taking the bus.
Agree, taking the Orange to the Purple line is a hell of a trip, and frankly with COVID and a recent increase in crime on trains and L platforms, I'd suggest an Uber.

Agree, taking the Orange to the Purple line is a hell of a trip, and frankly with COVID and a recent increase in crime on trains and L platforms, I'd suggest an Uber.
Yeah, I would never do it again. At the time, Uber didn't exist and a cab ride or a rental car wasn't in the travel budget.

Haven't been there myself but the only time it ever looked like it had a big game atmosphere was when Northwestern played Ohio State. Start of this video shows some of the crowd.

Yep, weather has not been the best for any of my trips for that game. Just what to expect. Wear layers...there will be plenty of room around you to take them off if needed.

I read Ryan Field doesn't have a permanent sound system either...the upgrades are going to be incredible by comparison.

I'd expect we'd be taking an uber, unless my friend wants to be nice and pick us up at O'Hare at 8 am.

I've taken the train from Midway to downtown Chicago. It was easy.

Top Bottom