Ryan Collado: Weirdest Skill Set Ever?

Governor Sibley

Section 109 Row 21
Reaction score
1) Miniaturized linebacker in a corner's body.

2) Tackling Machine. Should open open a "Collado Institute for Tackling Studies." Plays great at the line of scrimmage.

3) Natural return man. Can't play in space. Apparently unless he's holding the ball and on offense.

1) Miniaturized linebacker in a corner's body.

2) Tackling Machine. Should open open a "Collado Institute for Tackling Studies." Plays great at the line of scrimmage.

3) Natural return man. Can't play in space. Apparently unless he's holding the ball and on offense.

I thought about this a lot last night actually. Collado was a surprisingly explosive return man. He not only had good speed but moves and vision as well, which were on display when he nearly took one to the house. Based on his return skills his man coverage skills should be a bit better (although he has improved).

For instance, in one on one situations he often struggles with WRs. And he doesn't have the ability some small corners do to make up for his lack of size with position and timing in pass defense (given his demonstrated explosiveness in the return game, this strikes me as strange). Exhibit A was that TD last night at the end of the first half. Collado wasn't in terrible position if he were a taller Corner. But as a CB, when the WR is taller than you, it's important to play him tight on endzone routes, work him as close to out of bounds as possible thereby preventing the WR from using his body size to create separation when the ball is in the air. Then, the CB has to jump in time to either get his hands on the ball, or strike the WRs arms away from the ball to break up the play when the ball arrives. When Collado is on a tall WR in the red zone, he always lets the WR use his body to create separation, and he doesn't ever time his jump correctly. This gives him no chance to make the play.

Collado was one of those guys I hated to see on the field throughout his first couple years, then last year, he really started to blossom. I noticed him on special teams, and when I saw the hits he was putting on returners, I literally was saying, "Collado? Are you friggin' kidding me?" He's been fun to watch. Really glad to see how he's developed, because he was the subject of a lot of my ire early on. Hope he keeps keeping on.

in response to why collado doesn't play better corner? Coaching-lack thereof (surprise)

in response to why he is an explosive kick off returner? Natural athleticism. Not a hell of a lot of coaching required. Running for your life, follow blocks and cut back lanes, pure and simple.

see a pattern here? when our talent is in a situation which their athleticism rules the day, they do well; when they are in a situation when alignment, coaching or technique rule the day, they do poorly.

Collado could teach tackling and should consider coaching

He is a football player that I like to tell the young kids I coach, to watch tackle at games. He is definately a linebacker at heart, and the kid gives everything he has to try and make plays.
Collado, he might have the ability to make a little money coaching down the road, he should definately think about it.

Collado was one of those guys I hated to see on the field throughout his first couple years, then last year, he really started to blossom. I noticed him on special teams, and when I saw the hits he was putting on returners, I literally was saying, "Collado? Are you friggin' kidding me?" He's been fun to watch. Really glad to see how he's developed, because he was the subject of a lot of my ire early on. Hope he keeps keeping on.

Agree with this frozengoph, I felt the same way about Collado earlier in his career here, but its nice to see a player grow and develop into an asset on this team.

I also felt his nice physical breakup of pass on the attempted 2-pt conversion against USC was about as perfect of defense as you could play on that pass without drawing a flag.

Another guy who could have used a red-shirt year.

Probably should have played safety instead of corner. Reminds me a bit of former Wisconsin (current NY Jet safety) Jim Leonhard, although Leonhard clearly doesn't have a lot of the coverage problems Collado has had.

No question that Collado is a football player through and through. Loves to hit.

Collado had no business being on the field his freshman year. It wasn't his fault.

The kid is a Football Player. My absolute favorite kind.

Top Bottom