Rutgers in the Gator Bowl

GopherOhana

Reaction score
replacing texas a&m
does this mean more money to share across the bigten teams?

replacing texas a&m
does this mean more money to share across the bigten teams?
Not really. Whatever they don't spend on the bowl game ends up getting shared across the B1G, meaning they're going to spend a lot of that $5M -- marching band et. al. will travel to the game. It's a nice deal for Rutgers, just hope they don't do a faceplant and embarrass us.

1640311983835.png

I can just imagine the phone call.

"Hi, Rutgers. How would you like to play in the Gator Bowl?"
"Golly....that'd be super. Do you mean it?"
"Well....don't get TOO excited. Texas A&M is the team that dropped out. You'll be playing Wake Forest from the ACC."

Rutgers -4.5?! I'd bet against that ALL DAY.
Wake is #20 in the country and had 10 wins. I don't expect a close game, especially with Rutgers not having it's normal routine in place.

Can you imagine if you're a Rutgers third string player that never saw the field and now you have to leave family and friends while on break, to go to a bowl game you'll probably never play in? I gotta think for some of them, they'd rather be at home. (although, I may be way off on this)

Rutgers -4.5?! I'd bet against that ALL DAY.
Wake is #20 in the country and had 10 wins. I don't expect a close game, especially with Rutgers not having it's normal routine in place.
I expect Rutgers to compete. No pressure, playing loose. WF no interest and really anticlimactic for them.

Can you imagine if you're a Rutgers third string player that never saw the field and now you have to leave family and friends while on break, to go to a bowl game you'll probably never play in? I gotta think for some of them, they'd rather be at home. (although, I may be way off on this)
Or go to a "bowl" get some swag and maybe some nice weather. They will probably play deep into the roster.

I expect Rutgers to compete. No pressure, playing loose. WF no interest and really anticlimactic for them.

I doubt that. Wake Forest isn't a powerhouse that strings together 10 win seasons often. In fact....they've only ever had one.....in 2006 when they went to the Orange Bowl. I have no doubt that getting to the Gator Bowl will give them plenty of ammo to go out and perform.

I have a feeling that Rutgers are going to get frog stomped

Maybe, but who ever cares what a third-stringer thinks? A chance to play should probably be first on their minds.

I doubt that. Wake Forest isn't a powerhouse that strings together 10 win seasons often. In fact....they've only ever had one.....in 2006 when they went to the Orange Bowl. I have no doubt that getting to the Gator Bowl will give them plenty of ammo to go out and perform.

I have a feeling that Rutgers are going to get frog stomped
Plus their QB probably wants to ball out for the scouts as he had a weak game against NC in their season finale and is a legit 2/3 rounder

Or go to a "bowl" get some swag and maybe some nice weather. They will probably play deep into the roster.

New Years in Florida and a swag bag with Maui Jim sunglasses, a Fossil watch, a waterproof Bluetooth speaker, noise canceling headphones, a powerbank, and a Tile Bluetooth wireless tracker? I think most players would be ok with that.

Family vs. FLA in my late teens/early 20s - sun and fun no question

I have no issues with this. Many people are still asking "why is Rutgers B10 calliber" other that being in the NYC market? Rutgers being relevant only helps the B10. We lost to Bowling Green, so on any given Saturday, a team can lose to somebody it shouldnt. Rutgers is on the schedule next year and will be better because of this - that makes us better by playing better competition. We don't need to p-lay directional Utah state every year non-conference.

I said it in a different thread… perhaps I shouldn’t whine about Rutgers getting a better bowl game and start asking if there is enough time to prepare for and play in a New Years bowl game after Tuesday? Perhaps the Gophers can win two bowl games within 5 days. Your Golden Gophers: Guaranteed Rate and Citrus Bowl Champs!

😉

Let’s see Rutgers gets to fly all their players from their home to the Bowl. Be willing to bet most of $5 million will be spent. Sad

The one that has me scratching my head is how does Penn State get a New Years Day bowl game with a losing Big Ten Conference Record
Because it’s Penn State w a recent history of great football. Until we win the west and play for the Big 10 Championship we have little right to complain

Good for them. I heard N Illinois was being considered for a 2nd bowl game. Why not?

Top Bottom