Russo: Wild buying out Zach Parise and Ryan Suter

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Parise went to a total of zero All-Star games during his Wild career.

Goooo Wild!!

That Dumba and one other gets protected in the expansion draft.

Here what the Wild are protecting per Russo if this is how it play out.

The buyouts also open up two spots in the July 21 expansion draft. The team will likely now protect forwards Mats Zuccarello, Fiala, Joel Eriksson Ek, Marcus Foligno, Jordan Greenway, Ryan Hartman and Nico Sturm; defensemen Jared Spurgeon, Jonas Brodin and Matt Dumba; and goalie Cam Talbot. Assuming that is how it plays out, Victor Rask, Carson Soucy, Kaapo Kahkonen, Brennan Menell and others will be exposed.

Here what the Wild are protecting per Russo if this is how it play out.

The buyouts also open up two spots in the July 21 expansion draft. The team will likely now protect forwards Mats Zuccarello, Fiala, Joel Eriksson Ek, Marcus Foligno, Jordan Greenway, Ryan Hartman and Nico Sturm; defensemen Jared Spurgeon, Jonas Brodin and Matt Dumba; and goalie Cam Talbot. Assuming that is how it plays out, Victor Rask, Carson Soucy, Kaapo Kahkonen, Brennan Menell and others will be exposed.
The rumor is that Seattle was going to take the Matiss Kivlenieks in the expansion draft. Kaappo might be the one to get snatched.

I'm not familiar with NHL salary cap rules. How bad is it to take a $15 million hit in years 3 and 4?

I'm not familiar with NHL salary cap rules. How bad is it to take a $15 million hit in years 3 and 4?
Currently it would be really bad, as the cap is $81.5 Mil, so that would be close to 20% just dead. Plus they are going to have to shell out some big bucks to Kaprisov.

Complete hunch on my part, that they are relying on a post pandemic rebound to lessen the effects as well as the dough from the new broadcast deals with ESPN/Turner to increase the cap by that time.

Currently it would be really bad, as the cap is $81.5 Mil, so that would be close to 20% just dead. Plus they are going to have to shell out some big bucks to Kaprisov.

Complete hunch on my part, that they are relying on a post pandemic rebound to lessen the effects as well as the dough from the new deals with ESPN/Turner to increase the cap by that time.
That's what I figured. So they're pretty much giving themselves a two year window to win and then they have to pay the piper....

That's what I figured. So they're pretty much giving themselves a two year window to win and then they have to pay the piper....
Yeah, pretty much. Though the alternative wasn't great either, such is the trouble with signing 2 players to 14 year deals in the first place.

Yeah, pretty much. Though the alternative wasn't great either, such is the trouble with signing 2 players to 14 year deals in the first place.
The Vikings are kind of in the same spot with Cousins, but the NFL cap is much easier to manipulate and kick the can, plus their new media deals will raise it substantially. The NHL not so much.

They protected Talbot? Glad I didn't spend too much on the Kahkonen helmet.

I get the sense that a lot of this is about the expansion draft. Parise and Suter had no-trade clauses so they had to be protected. Now, two other players can be protected in their place.

it seems pretty clear that Guerin has a blueprint for this team, and it involves getting 1. younger and 2. faster.

This seems like a "window to win is now" move? The cap hell that will create a few years down the road, regardless of how much the cap goes up is going to be just crippling to the franchise.

And just think, to add to that sting, expect Kaprizov to sign with the VGK sometime in the next year or two. I mean, what free agent in high demand would rather play in MSP all winter long instead of Vegas?

What's interesting is the deals signed by those guys was completely legit at the time. The NHL changed the rules a year later to add in really tough cap implications on those deals. They essentially applied new rules after the fact. That's not fair in my book, and it's been a looming problem for awhile.

What's interesting is the deals signed by those guys was completely legit at the time. The NHL changed the rules a year later to add in really tough cap implications on those deals. They essentially applied new rules after the fact. That's not fair in my book, and it's been a looming problem for awhile.
I can't really say those were great deals. Signing guys on deals that run until they are 40+ doesn't seem like a solid business model.

This seems like a "window to win is now" move? The cap hell that will create a few years down the road, regardless of how much the cap goes up is going to be just crippling to the franchise.

And just think, to add to that sting, expect Kaprizov to sign with the VGK sometime in the next year or two. I mean, what free agent in high demand would rather play in MSP all winter long instead of Vegas?

Compared to where Kaprizov is from, MSP winters are already a huge upgrade.

Oh boy.... speak of the devil.... VGK beat writer just posted a story in The Athletic about the possible fit for Parise with the Knights. He makes some valid points but I can't say I would be super excited about that. He'll get a few sniffs from contending teams but I wonder what role?

Oh boy.... speak of the devil.... VGK beat writer just posted a story in The Athletic about the possible fit for Parise with the Knights. He makes some valid points but I can't say I would be super excited about that. He'll get a few sniffs from contending teams but I wonder what role?

For a decent deal, VGK could be a good, veteran fit for the VGK. He could sign a team friendly deal on a contender. He immediately made an impact when he saw ice time for the Wild.

Good point, it's a wonder we are ever able to sign anyone! Yawn

For a decent deal, VGK could be a good, veteran fit for the VGK. He could sign a team friendly deal on a contender. He immediately made an impact when he saw ice time for the Wild.
Reading the article, it makes a fair amount of sense? DeBoer and Parise seem to have a very high respect for each other, although he's a winger (which VGK doesn't need as bad as a Center), he's good at parking himself in front of the net and scoring goals, something VGK doesn't have much of.

Again, if the money is right, I can get behind it. I expect the trade machine to really be firing up here leading up to the expansion draft and beyond. Could be an interesting couple weeks coming up.

I think Suter can still be a top-4 or at least top 6 player on defense. Parise is a different story. His whole game is built around getting in front of the net and taking hits as he tries for rebounds and deflections. he has taken a lot of punishment over the years, and he is definitely slowing down. I'm not sure how much tread is left on the tires.

I really hope they know what they are doing. Or that there is something going on that we don't know about. I mean - they are eating both contracts and taking huge cap hits for zero in return.

I think that Parise may retire before the next four years is up - he's got little children, tons of money and as SON says, lots of rough miles behind him. On PA today, he said he would be playing for sure next year, then take another look. And he's is not completely worthless. He's a really solid 4th line player and injury fill-in higher up in the lineup.

And Suter is a very solid defensemen still. I can't believe he was a lockerroom cancer - but maybe he was. He definitely would have been valuable next year and probably for two more years.

But I cannot believe that there was zero interest in some kind of deal where the Wild paid most of the contract? I guess I have no idea how the salary cap works or how that works if you trade a player and pay most of his salary.

Now, if it's reported they refused to waive their no-trade clause to be exposed to the expansion draft, that's a different story. I want that question asked. If they weren't at least asked, then what the hell is this front office doing?

Those two guys gave everything they had, as far as I can tell, and this reeks of vengeance. I don't get it.

Guerin is probably figuring 2 flat years to recapture the pandemic losses, then the cap finally sees the increase in the TV rights being calculation into gross revenues for cap purposes.

It sounds like this may have been the main reason he was let go.
Interesting. What are you basing this on? If it's him hanging up on Guerin (not saying that's what you are saying), I think, while it's a little harsh and immature of Suter to do that, I understand the sentiment. If I were him - without knowing everything here - I would have been shocked and pissed.

It sounds like this may have been the main reason he was let go.

When Parise was benched, apparently Suter was quite vocally displeased. Cutting ties now saved a replay of the same scenario which was going to happen in a year or two anyway.

I'm seeing a lot of talk in the Twin Cities media that plays up the 'cancer in the locker room' angle. Stories about Suter going over the head of the coach and GM and going right to the owner to lobby for stuff he wanted. Also, Parise supposedly wanted the team to change its practice rink so practices would be closer to his house.

If this stuff is accurate, sounds like both were real divas. Souhan has a column in the Strib where he comes flat-out and says that Guerin did not want Suter and Parise around the younger players because he was worried they would be a bad influence.

the basic story-line is that Guerin is willing to take the cap hit just to get rid of them, because they were perceived (in the front office) as a problem.

I'm seeing a lot of talk in the Twin Cities media that plays up the 'cancer in the locker room' angle. Stories about Suter going over the head of the coach and GM and going right to the owner to lobby for stuff he wanted. Also, Parise supposedly wanted the team to change its practice rink so practices would be closer to his house.

If this stuff is accurate, sounds like both were real divas. Souhan has a column in the Strib where he comes flat-out and says that Guerin did not want Suter and Parise around the younger players because he was worried they would be a bad influence.

the basic story-line is that Guerin is willing to take the cap hit just to get rid of them, because they were perceived (in the front office) as a problem.
Another story is that they also had their own personal coaches while Yeo was at the helm. Yeo was quite frustrated with the two players along with their personal coach. Personally I'm glad to see them go. Appears to be too much drama going on behind the scenes.

Top Bottom