Running Tally of Implicated Schools

Ive never understood how schools can be Nike or Adidas schools etc. How could this way of operating ever go anywhere but south?

Nothing wrong, imo, with schools getting free shoes/unis in exchange for being an exclusive vendor. Real problem is vendors messing with AAU and player handlers. No reason for the NCAA to let vendors influence every stakeholder in the recruiting process. Should taint the eligibility of players, but the NCAA hasn't clamped down. Bet they will now.

Ive never understood how schools can be Nike or Adidas schools etc. How could this way of operating ever go anywhere but south?

Are you serious? You don't think it makes sense for a school to go through a single vendor for all athletic apparel/equipment? You can't imagine any benefit to doing business that way?

Nothing wrong, imo, with schools getting free shoes/unis in exchange for being an exclusive vendor. Real problem is vendors messing with AAU and player handlers. No reason for the NCAA to let vendors influence every stakeholder in the recruiting process. Should taint the eligibility of players, but the NCAA hasn't clamped down. Bet they will now.

These deals are well beyond simply getting free shoes/unis. These contracts are worth millions to the head coaches at large, high profile schools. Krzyzewski has been paid hundreds of thousands, plus Nike stock options annually for the last 25 years, and John Thompson is a long-serving member of Nike's board of directors, earning him millions more. Coaches are a critical cog in the machine that connects the shoe companies to AAU to college programs and the NBA.

This whole thing is the inevitable outcome of the amount of pressure on these coaches and programs to win. My wife and I were talking about this at dinner, including how we think Clem was running a clean program here up to some date when he got so frustrated losing out to dishonest programs that he sold his soul.

Us fans have to accept our role in this as well. It keeps reminding me of Col. Jessup in A Few Good Men. He talks about the dirty things he has to do in order to secure the safety of the American public and how we expect him to do that for us, but we the public don't want to know what it entails. We expect our basketball coaches to out-compete these dirty programs but to do it without stooping to the same dishonest measures. OR we do expect them to cheat, too, in which case we're just as culpable morally as they are.
. I do not agree "the fans accept our role." I always believe that the dishonest eventually get caught and honest programs will inevitably prevail. Am I an idealist, I don't think so. If it's a 100 schools that are punished that is fine with me.

. I do not agree "the fans accept our role." I always believe that the dishonest eventually get caught and honest programs will inevitably prevail. Am I an idealist, I don't think so. If it's a 100 schools that are punished that is fine with me.

Evidence proves you wrong.

North Carolina has the largest academic fraud in NCAA history and wins titles. No punishment.

Minnesota bares our chest while others build the walls around them and escape.

The world needs ditch diggers.

Are you serious? You don't think it makes sense for a school to go through a single vendor for all athletic apparel/equipment? You can't imagine any benefit to doing business that way?
Oh! I see your point! What could go wrong??

Can someone who has been following this closer than I have please post the running tally (list of schools)?
Any idea if there are likely to be significant school penalties (beyond the legal entanglements of the coaches & vendor reps)?

Can someone who has been following this closer than I have please post the running tally (list of schools)?
Any idea if there are likely to be significant school penalties (beyond the legal entanglements of the coaches & vendor reps)?

See post #29 in this thread.

I won't consider any comments until Dpodo pipes in that Minnesota did the worst thing in the last 60 years of college basketball!!

This could get interesting (juicy)

This tweet from Dennis Dodd. Hmmm, what former coach will it be?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe I made the wrong assumption? I assumed Dodd was referring to basketball studio guy.

Maybe I made the wrong assumption? I assumed Dodd was referring to basketball studio guy.

Good question. I took "doesn't coach basketball" as he is in a different sport, not that he doesn't currently coach basketball. Dodd is a College Football writer. ESPN hired Kelly as an analyst, and Oregon/Nike...... That's my guess.

Ruh Roh Shaggy: More Indictments Coming

Sounds like more sh*t is gonna' hit the fan real soon.

Sounds like more sh*t is gonna' hit the fan real soon.

Why do I get the feeling that the NCAA is hoping against hope that this somehow all blows over? Maybe this is just the perfect occasion for them to admit - explicitly or implicitly - that it's all a joke and a sham.

2 Louisville assistants put on paid leave

Ties to Louisville don't seem like a good thing at this juncture.

How long will it be before one those indicted will start singing like a canary for a plea deal?

How long will it be before one those indicted will start singing like a canary for a plea deal?

Never. The big wigs will always be protected, if possible. Watch UNC skate, see Calipari, etc. Assistants in the FBI probe will thread the needle between guilty and "I'm just a pawn in the unnamed game" for minimal punishment.

If you are a shoe company rep facing a long prison term how long before you start talking, they have nothing to lose, no one to protect, they are done in the business and they know it.

Jim Calhoun?

I'd be surprised if Jim Boeheim and John Thompson were not in on this when they were coaching. I believe that the shoe companies giving big money to coaches started in the old Big East.

If you are a shoe company rep facing a long prison term how long before you start talking, they have nothing to lose, no one to protect, they are done in the business and they know it.

This....coaches are going to stick together, the players and families aren't going to admit they took money. However the shoe rep guy has a problem. He'll be the canary.

Never. The big wigs will always be protected, if possible. Watch UNC skate, see Calipari, etc. Assistants in the FBI probe will thread the needle between guilty and "I'm just a pawn in the unnamed game" for minimal punishment.

If it was just the NCAA doing the investigation I'd agree with you, but this is the FBI. If you're a career guy in the NCAA you don't want to step on the "big wigs" toes, whereas if you're a career guy in the FBI you want to get the biggest fish you can.

Tip of the iceberg?

The sentence that scares me?

"Already, some coaches at schools not linked to the first round of charges have retained attorneys."

Oklahoma State looks like FBI's first direct target

I can't tell if this would impact current Illinois coach Brad Underwood. Would have to think so?

Top Bottom