Running Game

ncgo4

Reaction score
My biggest concern this year is the running game. Last year it was not good. We could not run the ball, period. I'm not sure how to assess the cause. Is it our running backs, the offensive line or the dismal passing game? My best guess is that it all begins with the O Line. It was terrible last year. Granted it was racked with injuries, but that is an excuse.

We hear they are bigger, stronger, faster and more experienced this year. I trust that, but will this make a difference? We were racked by injuries. That's bad luck but does putting an additional 25 lbs of muscle on each lineman make it more or less likely that injuries will be reduced? I don't know. The numbers of injuries we've had every year since Kill has arrived has me concerned. Is this bad luck, bad coaching, bad training or is it the same with all B1G teams?

The last time we had great running teams, and they were in fact GREAT running teams, our offnsive line was smaller and very fast. They also had a much lower injury rate.

I really don't know the answers. Kill says we'll be much better in the O Line and he knows an infinite amount more than me. I sure would like one time this year to see the right guard pull and lead a rush around the left side.

Those lines were very good against lower level teams and even for 3 1/2 quarters against pretty good teams. The difference between sophomores and juniors in college football is immense (a generalisation). I think this line will stack up favorably against any Gopher OL of the past.

Keeping the offensive line together as a unit is critical to any running game. Last year we were not a true rushing offense. It was a hybrid read option, many times we chose the wrong option. We didn't have a back who could take it to the house. So design and execution combined with injuries to most of the starters meant a struggling running game and the reliance on the passing game to bail us out. Problem, we became a one dimensional threat, and completing a pass was an adventure. We tried different QB's, until Nelson entered the fray. And it wasn't until the Bowl game when with the additional practice time a decision was made we are going to play power football. And most everyone was amazed at the result. We know have maybe 8 offensive lineman battling for 5 spots. All but one have experience in starting. The other thing, we now feature two loads at tail back. You try to tackle Williams or The Bowling Ball 35 times a game. Somewhere in the third or fourth quarter you pop the freshman in there and the arms are not as willing, the shoulder might be stinging, and whoosh he's gone.

The running game is the aspect of this 2013 team I am most interested to see. With a healthier O-line, and two solid backs, and (hopefully) lots MOAR Maryland (Golden)-I, we'll see the beginnings of the ground game we expected under a Kill regime. I am confident that it will be improved this season, but the magnitude of that improvement is where I am uncertain.

Yes, the O-Line plays a big role in the success of the running game - a huge roll. I think just being a year older/stronger will make them better this year - especially if we can stay healthy. I view the fact that legitimate players from years past (think: Olsen brothers) aren't even starting at this point as a good sign. With that said, not having a RB as elite as some during the Mason era also has played a big roll for recent disappointment. IMO, Kirkwood looks great this year. He will be better. I have been following Cobb for 3-years now waiting for his potential to show, but I think he is buried behind Kirkwood and Nugget. Edwards has shown flashes - but mainly against 3rd stringers and I read a tweet today that Kill is hinting at the fact he is wearing down a bit. Still, I am cautiously optimistic about Edwards, but think his contributions will be limited this year. Still, with Jeff Jones coming next year there is no reason to red-shirt Edwards if he can help contribute this year and I certainly think he can contribute (think: screen pass). I believe the Running Game will be fine this year - assuming we can create some downfield threat that stops opponents from staking the box with 8-9 men.

Keeping the offensive line together as a unit is critical to any running game. Last year we were not a true rushing offense. It was a hybrid read option, many times we chose the wrong option. We didn't have a back who could take it to the house. So design and execution combined with injuries to most of the starters meant a struggling running game and the reliance on the passing game to bail us out. Problem, we became a one dimensional threat, and completing a pass was an adventure. We tried different QB's, until Nelson entered the fray. And it wasn't until the Bowl game when with the additional practice time a decision was made we are going to play power football. And most everyone was amazed at the result. We know have maybe 8 offensive lineman battling for 5 spots. All but one have experience in starting. The other thing, we now feature two loads at tail back. You try to tackle Williams or The Bowling Ball 35 times a game. Somewhere in the third or fourth quarter you pop the freshman in there and the arms are not as willing, the shoulder might be stinging, and whoosh he's gone.

With you on everything except the part about the Bowl Game. A lot is getting made by fans about how we ran the ball in the Bowl game against one of the worst rushing defenses in the country last year. On top of that when we needed to run the ball in the 4th quarter the numbers and results were not pretty. The offense as a whole should take a step forward due to experience and continuity but I need to see the running game work against a Big Ten defense before I think we have turned a corner in that aspect of the game.

Top Bottom