Running Backs

I think if Taylor had been playing on those last 3 rounds of three and outs that the Gophers would have picked up at least 1 first down.
Tyler ran hard, but inside running is not his forte.
Maybe it's time for LeCaptain? The next man up would ideally have some physicality. Not sure if Max Grand could garner some play time?
I believe LeCaptain, who would be great in this situation, is out for the year with an injury.

OK so tweeted that on the bus home. That could just be excitement for bringing Floyd home.

Thing is, if Taylor is healthy but Evans is out … Fleck will *grind him into powder*. 30-40 carries a game. I don’t know if that’s what’s best for anyone. Hate to see him get “used up” before the Wisc game.

All starters should rest for OSU.
Do you mean all starters on the entire team? If so that is one of the most absurd statements I've ever read on GH.

some people were saying that they saw Taylor grab his leg before he went out, and he did not return after that. So that is the basis of the concern over Taylor.

the question becomes - if he is not 100%, how much can the Gophers expect to get out of him.

It certainly appeared to me that Taylor did not have the same burst in this game that he had before the initial injury. Yes, Iowa has a solid defense, so that could be part of it.

on Tyler, he seems to have the most success on a straight north-south type of run - but the Gophers seem to use him on a lot of stretch plays where he is running east-west. I don't get it.

I have no idea what Marquese Williams has, but I would not mind seeing him get a few carries as a try-out in the next couple of games. he can play in 4 games and keep the red-shirt, so as long as he's healthy and knows the playbook, I don't think there's anything to lose.

some people were saying that they saw Taylor grab his leg before he went out, and he did not return after that. So that is the basis of the concern over Taylor.

the question becomes - if he is not 100%, how much can the Gophers expect to get out of him.

It certainly appeared to me that Taylor did not have the same burst in this game that he had before the initial injury. Yes, Iowa has a solid defense, so that could be part of it.

on Tyler, he seems to have the most success on a straight north-south type of run - but the Gophers seem to use him on a lot of stretch plays where he is running east-west. I don't get it.

I have no idea what Marquese Williams has, but I would not mind seeing him get a few carries as a try-out in the next couple of games. he can play in 4 games and keep the red-shirt, so as long as he's healthy and knows the playbook, I don't think there's anything to lose.
Looked like he grabbed his hamstring. Hopefully just a cramp or mild tweak. Would be great if both Taylor and Evans were ready to go next week.

We could go into the MSU game (and perhaps the next few games) with Bryce W, Darius T and Zach E all on the shelf, injured. That leaves Sean Tyler as the starter and ??? in rotation. Only other recruited scholarship RB on roster is true Frosh Marquese Williams, who was a great HS back but is Sean Tyler sized and has no experience at the college level. There is Jordan Nubin, who has B1G size and grit—a W/O who might have earned a scholarship 🤷🏼‍♂️. There is RS Frosh Max Grand, also a W/O and true Frosh Cortez LeGrant, also a W/O. In this situation, I wonder if PJ might make a position switch for some player who played at RB in HS but is on defensive depth right now.

Bottom line: if our passing game is ever going to become a positive (rather than absent or negative) force for our offense, the next few weeks are when it must happen. We don’t have to go pass crazy; we just need a dependable passing game, even if a shorter yardage game, to make our drives efficient and to stress defenses enough to let our running game still prosper. Go Gophers!

If we've gotta ride Tyler this weekend they need to hammer on ball protection with him all week. I think it's an okay week to be down a back or two as long as the defense continues to play lights out.

Yes, when Tyler went in I was like “just please don’t fumble”.

Also yes, defense played nearly perfectly minus a couple penalties, for what was within reason.

We cannot expect that defense has to play like that to win games the rest of the season. They are human. We need offense. We need passing offense. We need first down passes to Dan Jackson.

Run-run-pass-punt must be avoided.

Can we try BSF at RB? He can't catch but he's still a load to bring down.

I think if Taylor had been playing on those last 3 rounds of three and outs that the Gophers would have picked up at least 1 first down.
Tyler ran hard, but inside running is not his forte.
Maybe it's time for LeCaptain? The next man up would ideally have some physicality. Not sure if Max Grand could garner some play time?
LeCaptain is prone to fumbling with one arm in a sling.

Top Bottom