Running Back

So MN lost 1 running back to NIL Irving $150,000?

One that went to Oregon and one that went to Kansas. Although NIL money was reportedly only for the one that went to Oregon.
So MN lost 1 running back to NIL Irving $150,000?

Thanks all, for a good discussion. If Irving left for a six-figure NIL payment, college football is in trouble.

Just don't think Mo makes a big difference with our Oline performance that day. Mo is best in the country at yards after contact. But no back is good when first contact is at or behind LOS. Mo needs a small hole first, then he can break through tackles.

When all momentum is pushed back at the RB he hasn't much chance to get going.

I don't understand how you can say this when there were countless key plays in which our RB II and III couldn't break a tackle.

Thanks all, for a good discussion. If Irving left for a six-figure NIL payment, college football is in trouble.

We are about to see if the corporate TC money and alumni are willing to shell out for backup 4 stars, those of which this program needs to build depth and have success. All of the top programs have highly recruited guys in backup roles.

I don't understand how you can say this when there were countless key plays in which our RB II and III couldn't break a tackle.
How far downfield were the backs when they countless times failed so miserably to break tackles?

Heck, even getting down field a yard or so countless times and then dropping on contact we should have ended up with 200 yards rushing, not 47.

We are about to see if the corporate TC money and alumni are willing to shell out for backup 4 stars, those of which this program needs to build depth and have success. All of the top programs have highly recruited guys in backup roles.
What's a backup 4 star? How does he differ from a four star?

So what is your theory? If the coaches were lying about the sprained ankle what do you believe was the real reason they held him out?
100% Mo injured his ankle at Michigan State. (1) I don't know that that was your typical ankle sprain though? Usually a sprained ankle is rolling your ankle when it gives out on a cut or you step on somebodies foot and it rolls...something like that. But some guy landed on Mo's ankle so that's more than the natural thing we usually see. (2) I observed Mo limping before the ankle injury on that Saturday. He was walking with a limp or the hobble of trying to walk on his heel. Something was not 100% right before the injury we all saw. So, my theory is that he has two injuries to the same lower leg. And because of the way it happed I don't know if the TV injury was a "normal" ankle injury.

We won't know anything until we see him play or not play. And that's all the info we'll ever have.
Hopefully, he is good to go! He is the only back we have who doesn't need holes, plus he breaks tackles on a pace unlike most anybody. He is unique!!

I didn't see anyone mention it in the thread, so I'll ask. He did go down and stay down for a bit after a run in the second half of last game against MSU. Looked like it was a leg thing. Seemed like he got another carry or two after that before being given the rest of the game off, but I'm not certain.

Anyone else remember it differently?

I believe Mo came back into the game for a couple more carries....likely to push him over 100 yards. But then he was done.

How far downfield were the backs when they countless times failed so miserably to break tackles?

Heck, even getting down field a yard or so countless times and then dropping on contact we should have ended up with 200 yards rushing, not 47.

Downfield position is irrelevant when you need to make 1 guy miss on a 3rd & 2

People have such short memories. Potts and Williams were highly effective last season before their injuries and were a part of us winnig 9 games without Mo.

The offense as a whole had a bad game against Purdue. It was frustrating, but it happens in college football to every team, and usually multiple games per season for most teams.

I'm also hoping that with the bye, KC will adjust the scheme to better suit Potts and Williams going forward. Since we don't know if Mo is repaired.

Minnesota RBs broke zeros tackles vs Purdue. Few runs they make one guy miss or break it, there was room to run

Right, and he didn't play more on the first snap from scrimmage either. Williams only played more when he played more.
I’m not going to go break down the film but I’m specifically talking about outside zone plays

People have such short memories. Potts and Williams were highly effective last season before their injuries and were a part of us winnig 9 games without Mo.

The offense as a whole had a bad game against Purdue. It was frustrating, but it happens in college football to every team, and usually multiple games per season for most teams.
Yeah but with potts and Williams we lost to Illinois and bowling green while the offense had to readjust to not being able to run the ball against an even box

Yeah but with potts and Williams we lost to Illinois and bowling green while the offense had to readjust to not being able to run the ball against an even box

Potts had 141 yards against Bowling Green. We lost that game because of bad play calling and the fact that our tackles couldn't block anyone so we couldn't throw.

Our O line had similar issues against Illinois, but our running game wasn't as good. Potts and Williams were both out for the season by that game and Ky Thomas struggled.

Potts had 141 yards against Bowling Green. We lost that game because of bad play calling and the fact that our tackles couldn't block anyone so we couldn't throw.

Our O line had similar issues against Illinois, but our running game wasn't as good. Potts and Williams were both out for the season by that game and Ky Thomas struggled.
Yeah. That doesn’t really disagree with anything I was saying. I was saying when you make a big change to personnel the offense is going to be different and it might take a minute to figure out how the new offense is going to be productive. The new offense was good by the end of the year. But every time there were running back changes it took a minute to figure out.

I expect the offense to be better against Illinois with or without Mo

Yeah. That doesn’t really disagree with anything I was saying. I was saying when you make a big change to personnel the offense is going to be different and it might take a minute to figure out how the new offense is going to be productive. The new offense was good by the end of the year. But every time there were running back changes it took a minute to figure out.

I expect the offense to be better against Illinois with or without Mo

There wasn't changes to the personnel heading into the Bowling Green game last season. They hammered Colorado with Potts the week before.

Same goes for Illinois last season. They hammered Maryland and NW with Thomas and Bucky the two weeks prior to that game.

There wasn't changes to the personnel heading into the Bowling Green game last season. They hammered Colorado with Potts the week before.

Same goes for Illinois last season. They hammered Maryland and NW with Thomas and Bucky the two weeks prior to that game.
Yeah. It can take a whole season to figure out the rhythm of an offense

Which is why you sometimes hear the phrase “midseason form”

There is an adjustment. A counter by defenders. And adjustment to adjustment.
If you don’t think the bowling green and Illinois game had anything to do with personnel adjustments I don’t know what to tell you.

Yeah. It can take a whole season to figure out the rhythm of an offense

Which is why you sometimes hear the phrase “midseason form”

There is an adjustment. A counter by defenders. And adjustment to adjustment.
If you don’t think the bowling green and Illinois game had anything to do with personnel adjustments I don’t know what to tell you.

It didn't and you're not making sense. It had everything to do with bad coaching and bad play. Players don't play exactly the same every week, and there weren't major changes into either of those games.

It didn't and you're not making sense. It had everything to do with bad coaching and bad play. Players don't play exactly the same every week, and there weren't major changes into either of those games.
There are major changes going into every week
Such as your opponent and how they play you

Whether he did or not, college football IS in trouble. It is rapidly becoming a pro league. That may be OK with most fans, but it is changing from what it was. And since it is already kinda pro, why are there any restrictions on years of eligibility or academic performance?

Downfield position is irrelevant when you need to make 1 guy miss on a 3rd & 2
You, or at least a running back, can make a guy miss (or run through him in Mo's case) when you are facing downfield. That means you had at least a small hole. Not so easy when you are running laterally looking for a hole and your blockers are being pushed back toward you.

Top Bottom