Rugby punt styles by Australian college football players changing the game FOREVER

hungan1

Reaction score
It seems like the Land Down Under is a mine for punters. Aussie punters are changing the way the game is played forever. They are mature adults. After 27-year-old Sophomore Mark Crawford, PJ Fleck better get the ball rolling for the next Aussie punter. I am glad the PJ Fleck is in tune with the latest football trends.

Watch 29-year-old Aussie Utah punter Tom Hackett in action against 24-year-old Aussie Ohio State punter Jessie Mirco in the Rose Bowl.

Rugby punt styles by Australian college football players changing the game

Aussie rugby punts changing college football
www.foxsports.com.au
www.foxsports.com.au

c045305bf2f7d691d12c74415c4a883b

Source: Supplied
JOHN MARSHALL from Ap
December 19th, 2021 3:32 am
UNIVERSITY of Hawaii punter Scott Harding takes the snap, runs toward the sideline and surveys the oncoming rush before unleashing an end-over-end kick.
Depending on how the defence plays it, Harding will kick quickly, hold it an extra beat to give his coverage team more time or, if the defenders fall back too quickly, he can run toward the first-down marker.
The Australian can kick running in both directions, with either foot. Occasionally, he’ll try to hit the defensive players in the back to create a turnover.
“I’ve been around a long time and it’s the most amazing thing I’ve seen,” Hawaii coach Norm Chow said. “I wish I could take credit for it, but this guy is an amazing, amazing guy.”
Harding definitely has a unique skill set, and the rugby style of punting he uses is spreading across American college football.
The setup is the same as a traditional punt, with the punter lined up about 14 yards (meters) behind the line of scrimmage.
The rest of it is unorthodox, at least in the world of American football.

Instead of taking a few calculated steps and kicking in the same cadence every time, rugby-stylers run at an angle toward the line of scrimmage and kick on the move.
The ball’s flight is more flat and tumbling, not booming and spiralled, making it tougher to catch.
Traditional punts sometimes bounce forward, sometimes back up like a golf ball hitting a green. In rugby-style punts, the landing is almost always forward because of the topspin, tumbling up to 30 extra yards. The unpredictable roll — much like an onside kick — also makes it more difficult for returners to handle.

Aussie Tom Hackett (L) has used rugby punts in his game.

Aussie Tom Hackett (L) has used rugby punts in his game.Source: Supplied

The threat of a fake is always there because the punter is already on the move toward the line of scrimmage and often waits until the last second before kicking.
And because the punter is holding the ball so long, the coverage team has extra time to get down the field; unlike the NFL, where only the outside gunners can release before the kick, everyone on the punt team in college football can run down the field right after the snap.

“By the time the returner even thinks about trying to catch it, he’s surrounded by (opposing) players,” said Tom Hackett of the University of Utah, a rugby-style punter who is third nationally with a 46.8-yard average.
Directionality is part of what makes rugby-style punting so effective.
The wave of Australian punters who have hit the U.S. in recent years — Harding and Hackett among the latest batch — are particularly good at placing their kicks after growing up playing rugby or Aussie Rules football.
Hackett leads the nation in punts inside the 10-yard line with 18. And Hawaii, thanks to Harding’s pinpoint kicking, is third nationally in punt coverage, allowing 30 return yards all season.
Even the American punters who aren’t as adept at the kick as the Aussies have turned to rugby style. Their punts usually aren’t nearly as majestic, sometimes travelling just 25 to 30 yards in the air, but the extra roll and the difficulty of returning the kicks makes up for it.
“A lot of the time, teams just let it bounce around and take it where they can get it,” Chow said.
Harding is the rare punter who uses the rugby-style punt exclusively. Hackett had to learn the traditional punt after coming over to the U.S. and said he probably kicks rugby style about 60 per cent of the time.

Last edited:

Don't we already have an Aussie punter?

Those rugby and Aussie Rules FB players down there know how to kick oblong shaped balls!
Yeah, but the secret sauce is that they practice it. Are there any year-round punting programs in the USA like ProKick? I imagine that if punter wasn't the least sexy position on most teams and lots of American kids were training to be punters, we would see more of them who can kick balls far.

Yeah, but the secret sauce is that they practice it. Are there any year-round punting programs in the USA like ProKick? I imagine that if punter wasn't the least sexy position on most teams and lots of American kids were training to be punters, we would see more of them who can kick balls far.
The only people here that are practicing punting year round are soccer goalies.

There are way more American punters than Aussie.They identify already good punters and train them—just like would
Happen here. It isn’t like 10,000 enter the program and hopefully a few turn good

Saw a tweet and can’t remember the exact stat, but I believe every team that played on championship Saturday had a punter with an Aussie camp tie-in.

@UpAndUnder43, you are correct. There are more American-born punters. They are young seventeen/eighteen-year-olds. D1 programs like the Gophers, Utah, and Ohio State are much older Aussie punters (27, 29, and 24 years old)!

I would say traditional American punting is static and Australian rules football or rugby are dynamic. They are forever changing the punting game in a big way in college football.

D1 programs are trying to get an edge by looking to Australia and other places for help. Australian rules football and rugby suddenly have a target. Their style of play is changing American college football. Even the NFL is noticing.

I think that to be a good punter, you have the crap beaten out of you playing rugby or Australian rules football (there are no rules ;)), and then throw you in the ring to fight a kangaroo kickboxer. You get kicked in the g#nnysack. When you come out alive, you are reborn as an American Football punter.

Most Australian punters are mature adults when they come to the US to play college football.

Mark Crawford is twenty-seven years old as a Sophomore.

Last edited:

It could be too that Aussie Rules football features punting in so many different situations. On the run, under pressure, imminent danger, kicking in all different directions and ipso facto a ‘with the wind’ changing into against or cross on the fly. AR football kickers have to be spontaneous and creative…and continuously accurate.

Edit: hungan’s post went up as I was typing.

It could be too that Aussie Rules football features punting in so many different situations. On the run, under pressure, imminent danger, kicking in all different directions and ipso facto a ‘with the wind’ changing into against or cross on the fly. AR football kickers have to be spontaneous and creative…and continuously accurate.

Edit: hungan’s post went up as I was typing.
They must take a while of maturity and playing experience to hone in on their punting skills because the Aussie punters for the Gophers, Ohio State, and Utah punters are all well into their twenties.

LOL, these guys are almost semi-pro to pro-level players! There is no NCAA age limit. I like to see the day that a forty-year-old plays college football. Some of you guys in GHole may have some eligibility left.

There have been some older guys who have come back to play college ball at lower levels of the game.

But the punters coming out of Oz are pretty remarkable. Aussie rules is a brutal game if you've ever seen it.

As the little Purple musical genius said, Forever is a very long time...

I like the idea of holding the ball longer to get the punt coverage team that extra second or two to set up and then directional kick it or deliberately kick it into the back of a punt return team member to cause a turnover. The return team members better have swivels on their heads.

Full ride scholarship for a punter who likely will win you an extra game or two? Sign me up for foreign aid.

By January 2022, 'Prokick Australia' will have sent 180 players over to the United States to play college football.

By January 2022, 'Prokick Australia' will have sent 180 players over to the United States to play college football.
This is mana from heaven for old Aussie Australian rugby-style punters. These are guys who are already a little older and crusty. They have become as fashionable as koala bear stuffed animals. Aussie punters are changing the special teams game forever.

This is where the nice story comes.

IIRC, Michigan scouts were looking for punters in Australia when they spotted this young behemoth rugby player named Daniel Fa'alele working out.

Work got around, and somehow Fa'alele ended up at IMG Academy to learn how to play American Football. Khaki Pants lost track of him. Word must have leaked to PJ Fleck. With Zach Annexstad's help by opting to PWO, we got a triple treat from IMG with Fa'alele, Dunlop, and Annexstad. PJ Fleck must be one heck of a salesman to convince the two to accompany Annexstad to Minnesota. I don't think Fa'alele has ever even seen snow. Verdis Brown wanted to come, but they did not have an extra scholarship available for him. He ended up going to Illinois instead. He would have been the fourth 4-Star recruit in the class of 2018. I stand to be corrected with this story.

Wonder if they will change rules to be like the pros as to when you can go down field? Also, interesting that at least 180 rugby type players will have arrived here soon. Wonder what kind of degrees these old guys are getting anyway after getting their head smash in playing rugby?

Wonder if they will change rules to be like the pros as to when you can go down field? Also, interesting that at least 180 rugby type players will have arrived here soon. Wonder what kind of degrees these old guys are getting anyway after getting their head smash in playing rugby?
They are all are going to be brain surgeons!

It seems like the Land Down Under is a mine for punters. Aussie punters are changing the way the game is played forever. They are mature adults. After 27-year-old Sophomore Mark Crawford, PJ Fleck better get the ball rolling for the next Aussie punter. I am glad the PJ Fleck is in tune with the latest football trends.

Watch 29-year-old Aussie Utah punter Tom Hackett in action against 24-year-old Aussie Ohio State punter Jessie Mirco in the Rose Bowl.

Rugby punt styles by Australian college football players changing the game

Aussie rugby punts changing college football
www.foxsports.com.au
www.foxsports.com.au

c045305bf2f7d691d12c74415c4a883b

Source: Supplied
JOHN MARSHALL from Ap
December 19th, 2021 3:32 am
UNIVERSITY of Hawaii punter Scott Harding takes the snap, runs toward the sideline and surveys the oncoming rush before unleashing an end-over-end kick.
Depending on how the defence plays it, Harding will kick quickly, hold it an extra beat to give his coverage team more time or, if the defenders fall back too quickly, he can run toward the first-down marker.
The Australian can kick running in both directions, with either foot. Occasionally, he’ll try to hit the defensive players in the back to create a turnover.
“I’ve been around a long time and it’s the most amazing thing I’ve seen,” Hawaii coach Norm Chow said. “I wish I could take credit for it, but this guy is an amazing, amazing guy.”
Harding definitely has a unique skill set, and the rugby style of punting he uses is spreading across American college football.
The setup is the same as a traditional punt, with the punter lined up about 14 yards (meters) behind the line of scrimmage.
The rest of it is unorthodox, at least in the world of American football.

Instead of taking a few calculated steps and kicking in the same cadence every time, rugby-stylers run at an angle toward the line of scrimmage and kick on the move.
The ball’s flight is more flat and tumbling, not booming and spiralled, making it tougher to catch.
Traditional punts sometimes bounce forward, sometimes back up like a golf ball hitting a green. In rugby-style punts, the landing is almost always forward because of the topspin, tumbling up to 30 extra yards. The unpredictable roll — much like an onside kick — also makes it more difficult for returners to handle.

Aussie Tom Hackett (L) has used rugby punts in his game.

Aussie Tom Hackett (L) has used rugby punts in his game.Source: Supplied

The threat of a fake is always there because the punter is already on the move toward the line of scrimmage and often waits until the last second before kicking.
And because the punter is holding the ball so long, the coverage team has extra time to get down the field; unlike the NFL, where only the outside gunners can release before the kick, everyone on the punt team in college football can run down the field right after the snap.

“By the time the returner even thinks about trying to catch it, he’s surrounded by (opposing) players,” said Tom Hackett of the University of Utah, a rugby-style punter who is third nationally with a 46.8-yard average.
Directionality is part of what makes rugby-style punting so effective.
The wave of Australian punters who have hit the U.S. in recent years — Harding and Hackett among the latest batch — are particularly good at placing their kicks after growing up playing rugby or Aussie Rules football.
Hackett leads the nation in punts inside the 10-yard line with 18. And Hawaii, thanks to Harding’s pinpoint kicking, is third nationally in punt coverage, allowing 30 return yards all season.
Even the American punters who aren’t as adept at the kick as the Aussies have turned to rugby style. Their punts usually aren’t nearly as majestic, sometimes travelling just 25 to 30 yards in the air, but the extra roll and the difficulty of returning the kicks makes up for it.
“A lot of the time, teams just let it bounce around and take it where they can get it,” Chow said.
Harding is the rare punter who uses the rugby-style punt exclusively. Hackett had to learn the traditional punt after coming over to the U.S. and said he probably kicks rugby style about 60 per cent of the time.

Two questions from a geezer: 1. Was there once a rule that limited college sports to players under 25 years old? Or am I remembering a HS rule? (I thought that was 20?) 2. Does anyone here remember when punt receiving teams usually put two deep to field punts?

The next logical step will be to implement Aussie football umpire moves...

Two questions from a geezer: 1. Was there once a rule that limited college sports to players under 25 years old? Or am I remembering a HS rule? (I thought that was 20?) 2. Does anyone here remember when punt receiving teams usually put two deep to field punts?
Answering number 2 first - yes, I do recall that being the norm.

As for number one, the language is really confusing, but it seems that the only sports that have a hard and fast limit of any kind are hockey, tennis and skiing. Not sure about the latter two, but I suspect that hockey is to prevent teams from bringing in crusty old Canadian junior goons.

All those BYU guys that are required to go on mission trips for the LDS church have been playing forever. JR Smith, long-time NBA player, went back to school and is playing golf for NC A&T. He's 36 or so.

The oldest college football players on record are 61 years old. There were two known cases. Both played for small colleges.

For D1 football, I think it is late thirties.

Will the Rose Bowl game be decided by the punting game?

The Rose Bowl will probably have huge TV & streaming ratings potential in Australia (and possibly New Zealand and Tonga).

I don't know if any Australian media network has the right to broadcast the Rose Bowl. ESPN will make a killing in advertisements alone if they make it available in Australia. I don't know what streaming services are available overseas in the South Pacific region.

Top Bottom