Rugby kick

Schnoodler

Ice Cream Abuser
Reaction score
so I thought that rugby style punt with the perfect skip bounce to down the ball on the one was pretty sweet. I don't know much about rugby, but isn't that a pretty standard execution in that game?

I have a feeling we saw the future of red zone punting.

Or you saw it when Rhys Lloyd did the same thing for the Gophers years ago.

Or you saw it when Rhys Lloyd did the same thing for the Gophers years ago.

He never pulled one off quite like that. Seriously, it was like the punter passed it to the gunner on the 1.

Then again, he did have that great game against Toledo where he ran on 2 of them for 1st downs. :)

No, this is a new thing and it's super cool and proof that the game evolves in efficiency. After 5 seconds of thought, here's what I conclude:

What does the rugby kick do? 1) There's the obvious benefit of having a run-option built into your punting game on 4th and short. But much more importantly 2) Your kicker can actually move forward about 2-4 yards before kicking. And even more importantly 3) Your kicking team can get a few seconds extra release on the kick.

The downsides? I suppose it would involve the fact that you can only do it to one side?

Football is always evolving and getting smarter at the edges. I love it.

No, this is a new thing and it's super cool and proof that the game evolves in efficiency. After 5 seconds of thought, here's what I conclude:

What does the rugby kick do? 1) There's the obvious benefit of having a run-option built into your punting game on 4th and short. But much more importantly 2) Your kicker can actually move forward about 2-4 yards before kicking. And even more importantly 3) Your kicking team can get a few seconds extra release on the kick.

The downsides? I suppose it would involve the fact that you can only do it to one side?

Football is always evolving and getting smarter at the edges. I love it.

Studwell, I agree I love how the game evolves. I am going to add a #4. 4) The kicks are generally a lower line drive which does not allow the returner to catch the ball and lets the ball roll on the ground for an extra 10-20 yards.

So when is some 6'3" 220 rugby player going to get a full ride and really be an effective 4th and short dual threat? We should start scouting the kiwi's.

The ball bounces funny, you can never count on getting the ball in just the right position. Granted, it's what you're trying to do when you punt the ball. It's like a hole in one. The punt option does give the return team something to think about, especially if there is a serious threat of running. I suppose it could give you some extra yards if you wind up punting from 8 yards back instead of 15 yards because of the rollout. Did anyone do this before Rhys?

Top Bottom