RSIII vs BB for the NBA

Gopher Teeth

Fear the Teeth
Reaction score
If you were a NBA scout who would you rather have in the NBA, Brian Butch or Ralph Sampson III?

## Player FG Pct 3Pct FT Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
32 Butch, Brian .456 .309 .647 77 160 237 6.6 69 1 29 51 29 20 446 12.4

## Player FG Pct 3Pct FT Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
50 Sampson III, Ralph .471 .192 .739 54 113 167 5.4 78 2 49 46 63 15 317 10.2

The missing and best option would be neither as there are many other candidates that are much more qualified and ready to play in the NBA.

I don't get the comparison. You're trying to determine if RSIII can play in the NBA by comparing his collegiate stats to a guy who doesn't play in the NBA? If I'd say that I'd rather have RSIII, that doesn't mean that he'd play in the NBA. Based on stats and play, I'd rather have Butch, since they are both tall and slow, at least Butch can make 3's. However, based on historical performance, I would never take an American born white guy to play in the NBA. It's like the South Park episode that mocked the election for Bush's 2nd term, comparing it to a school voting on if the new mascot should be a Giant *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# or a Turd Sandwich.

Ahhh....

Neither on your roster.... Pekovic would kill both of them

I don't get the comparison. You're trying to determine if RSIII can play in the NBA by comparing his collegiate stats to a guy who doesn't play in the NBA? If I'd say that I'd rather have RSIII, that doesn't mean that he'd play in the NBA. Based on stats and play, I'd rather have Butch, since they are both tall and slow, at least Butch can make 3's. However, based on historical performance, I would never take an American born white guy to play in the NBA. It's like the South Park episode that mocked the election for Bush's 2nd term, comparing it to a school voting on if the new mascot should be a Giant *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# or a Turd Sandwich.

I was making the point that RSIII was insane to play this NBA charade for so long. His impact in the B1G was less than that of a guy who doesn't even play in the B1G and probably never will. I think that point is made evident when you look at the numbers.

I was making the point that RSIII was insane to play this NBA charade for so long. His impact in the B1G was less than that of a guy who doesn't even play in the B1G and probably never will. I think that point is made evident when you look at the numbers.

Well I think you did a poor job of making a point.

I was making the point that RSIII was insane to play this NBA charade for so long.

Other than mistakingly thinking you were showing how clever you are, so what? It's after the fact; just about everyone thought his chance of being drafted was very slim; it's his life and he has a right to do what he did; maybe all he really wanted was to see where he stood, etc., etc.

I'm very glad he's back, and I'm one who gets frustrated all the time watching Ralph play. Behind Trevor, all we would have had is a raw, possibly out of shape center coming off a severe knee injury and a redshirt freshman for big men. Worse yet, it would have meant more uncertainty in trying to sign another spring recruit onto a roster that already has 5 (?) of them. That, to me, has been something I never would have expected with Tubby and has to stop or we'll never get to the top of the Big Ten.

Other than mistakingly thinking you were showing how clever you are, so what? It's after the fact; just about everyone thought his chance of being drafted was very slim; it's his life and he has a right to do what he did; maybe all he really wanted was to see where he stood, etc., etc.

I'm very glad he's back, and I'm one who gets frustrated all the time watching Ralph play. Behind Trevor, all we would have had is a raw, possibly out of shape center coming off a severe knee injury and a redshirt freshman for big men. Worse yet, it would have meant more uncertainty in trying to sign another spring recruit onto a roster that already has 5 (?) of them. That, to me, has been something I never would have expected with Tubby and has to stop or we'll never get to the top of the Big Ten.

It's not about thinking I was "clever". I didn't ask for a nomination of greatest post of the year. In fact I think it sucked.

I just think that these players should just focus on being the best player they can be at the level they are at. If they do that, then all the other NBA stuff will take care of itself. Is it really that difficult to get a read on if you are ready or not? No it isn't. If you have the same or worse numbers than a guy who can't sniff the court in the NBA, that's pretty clear you have things to work on.

Instead RSIII left the Gophers in a lurch, what if he would have went, there were recruits that may have come, but because of the extended delay he puts the Gophers and teammates in a worse situation. You are happy he is back, so am I, but he could have just as easily left and because of his delay made it more difficult to get a replacement.

I don't see what the big deal is about Ralph declaring. This happens every year, at many, many different schools. Whether we (and sometimes even his coach) think the guy is ready for the NBA doesn't matter.

The early entry declaration/stay/withdraw announcement is part of today's college basketball landscape. Coaches/programs have learned to deal with it, I think we (as fans) should be able to, too.

I don't see what the big deal is about Ralph declaring. This happens every year, at many, many different schools. Whether we (and sometimes even his coach) think the guy is ready for the NBA doesn't matter.

The early entry declaration/stay/withdraw announcement is part of today's college basketball landscape. Coaches/programs have learned to deal with it, I think we (as fans) should be able to, too.

If I remember correctly. . it was posted on here that Tubby was getting frustrated with the indecision RSIII had on committing one way or the other. It is based on that I saw the situation was causing an issue for the team.

It won't be a part of the landscape much longer

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6444510

That (around) April 12th withdrawal date is going to make Ralph's situation, pretty much never happen again.

Top Bottom