RS3 on declaring for NBA draft: "if I feel I'm ready. We'll see."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From Shooter:

It comes as a bit of a surprise, but the Gophers' 6-foot-11, 240-pound junior Ralph Sampson III hasn't ruled out the possibility of declaring himself eligible for June's NBA draft, depending on how the rest of the season goes, he said. Underclass college players are allowed to declare for the draft, then withdraw before the draft and retain college eligibility.

"I don't know yet; we'll see how the rest of this thing goes," Sampson said. "Hopefully, if I feel I'm ready. We'll see."

Sampson's father, 7-4 Ralph II, was the No. 1 pick in the 1983 NBA draft after playing four years at Virginia. Ralph III is a B student majoring in communications. He eventually wants to play in the NBA.

"You can say you're going to go into the draft, and they'll take a survey of a small sample of teams to judge where you're going to go, first or second round," Ralph III said. "With that information, you decide whether to go in the draft or stay in school."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_17491873

Go Gophers!!

Currently the best pro prospect on the team, although no one should leave.

At least I got a laugh tonight.

Also, I still think Williams is the top prospect on the team, not RS. That being said, I would not draft either. Maybe Kahn can take both of them

That rebounding performance by Sampson today screams NBA draft pick.

Being a junior there is no down side for Sampson to announce for the NBA draft. Worst case pro scouts say he isn't ready and comes back to Williams knowing exactly what he has to work on. Best case for him pro scouts says he is ready and he will be a 1st round draft pick. There is literally no downside for Sampson.

Personally I don't think there is anyway he is ready. If JJ wasn't ready last year Sampson isn't even close to being ready.

If Rickert didn't have the skill set to catch on with an NBA team, Sampson has no chance.

At least I got a laugh tonight.

Also, I still think Williams is the top prospect on the team, not RS. That being said, I would not draft either. Maybe Kahn can take both of them

Call them both guards and he just might!

baited into it

by a jerk reporter, no doubt. Stupid

Future all-star.

Also Bruce Bowen is wearing a pink bow-tie on Sportscenter right now. Not related, just saying.

hahahaha. We are going to miss your killer instinct Ralph.

hahahaha i almost fell off my chair when i read this...no chance sampson ever plays an nba minute

The Tin Man has more heart... And the Cowardly Lion, more courage. And yet at 6'10 someone in the league will give Ralph III a look.

by a jerk reporter, no doubt. Stupid

Right on, he was just answering a reporter's question. I'm guessing he'll decide he's not ready and he'll be back next year. What's the big deal?

Right on, he was just answering a reporter's question. I'm guessing he'll decide he's not ready and he'll be back next year. What's the big deal?

+1

and also a +1 to the person who said, he has nothing to lose so why not? (However, if he declares and Tubby fills his scholly and he wants to come back, that's a lose - not sure if it can happen though?

However, as I have been thinking about it, the CBA may actually HURT MN with losing players. If the CBA is indefinite enough, a lot of the top prospects may decide to stay (i.e. Sullinger) the more who do this, the weaker the draft class gets and the better chance previously non first round picks have at becoming first round picks - then you just pray the CBA gets worked out in a favorable way.

I've definitely had Ralph's back the majority of the time, but I just don't see how he'll ever be able to survive at the next level. Yes, he can hit an open jumpshot, but he's far too weak w/ the ball and just doesn't have that tough attitude you see in the pros. This being said, I agree that he was just answering a reporter's question, don't think that we should look too far into this.

Yeah, Ralph is NBA ready. He can't even hold his position against 6'2" Zack Novak.

Every single junior should declare themselves eligible that wants to play pro ball. Dan Coleman and Spencer Tollackson did it. Westbrook did it.

It gives them a chance to survey the NBA scouts, workout in camps with other NBA prospects and it doesn't hurt them at all since they only have one year left and can just pull their name with no penalty.

This really isn't news.

You are right that a junior has nothing to lose by putting his name into the NBA Draft. I've actually had NBA scouts call me about no name players who put their name into the draft, just to make sure they were missing out on anyone.

However, sometimes I think you just look silly. Tollackson and Coleman weren't even invited to the Portsmouth Invitational, which is for 64 seniors hoping to impress the scouts. Sampson needs to be a good Big Ten big man before he even thinks about the NBA.

Chris Monter

Yeah, Ralph is NBA ready. He can't even hold his position against 6'2" Zack Novak.

How about a bounce pass from Williams? Talk about telegraphing a pass.

I think Sampson will be better at the next level. I don't know how much better, but he seems to have a game that could play well at the next level as a roll player. Hope he stays though.

Nobody on this team is going to get a sniff from the NBA ( read the mock drafts). But, at 6-10 Ralph could certainly find somewhere to play.

Top Bottom