RS Top 250 Guitar Players Ever

Ope3

Reaction score
Interesting list spanning all genres. No shock on #1, Jimi Hendrix. Several of my favorites that I still follow currently made the grade including Liz Phair, Bob Mould, Nel Cline, Richard Thompson, J Mascis, Neil Young as well as Mike McCready & Stone Gossard (combined).

Not egregious, but I think Gary Louris and Jason Isbell should have made it too.

As for the rankings about the only quibble is Stevie Ray Vaughan at #20. I would have thought he was a shoo in for Top 10.

Interesting list spanning all genres. No shock on #1, Jimi Hendrix. Several of my favorites that I still follow currently made the grade including Liz Phair, Bob Mould, Nel Cline, Richard Thompson, J Mascis, Neil Young as well as Mike McCready & Stone Gossard (combined).

Not egregious, but I think Gary Louris and Jason Isbell should have made it too.

As for the rankings about the only quibble is Stevie Ray Vaughan at #20. I would have thought he was a shoo in for Top 10.

Cool list. It was fun to scroll through. Cool to see Lzzy Hale getting some love. The only REAL issue I would take is, 250 legendary guitarists and no Yngwie Malmsteen? Very, very surprised at that.

Lists like this are made to make music heads mad. I try not to dwell on them too much for that reason. Here goes...

Eric Clapton at #35. That is all I need to know about this list.

Eric Clapton at #35. That is all I need to know about this list.

I should have mentioned that as more egregious more than SRV. Personally, through the years though I have listened to more SRV though.

Cool to see the Deals get recognition at #160. I am also glad D Boon got in there.

this is so subjective, because a lot depends on individual opinions and perspectives.

there are guitar players who are very skilled - and then there are guitar players who may not be as skilled, but have a unique style or play with great emotion.

and how do you really decide who is "better?" is Jerry Garcia better than The Edge? Is Neil Young better than Pete Townsend? How do you compare Robert Johnson to Jimi Hendrix? or compare David Gilmour to damn near anyone?

I am a Bruce Springsteen fanatic. Now, I would never claim that Springsteen is a great technical guitarist, but his playing works within the context of his music. and that's what really matters.

this is so subjective, because a lot depends on individual opinions and perspectives.

there are guitar players who are very skilled - and then there are guitar players who may not be as skilled, but have a unique style or play with great emotion.

and how do you really decide who is "better?" is Jerry Garcia better than The Edge? Is Neil Young better than Pete Townsend? How do you compare Robert Johnson to Jimi Hendrix? or compare David Gilmour to damn near anyone?

I am a Bruce Springsteen fanatic. Now, I would never claim that Springsteen is a great technical guitarist, but his playing works within the context of his music. and that's what really matters.
Nils Lofgren made it at 132.

Lists like this are made to make music heads mad. I try not to dwell on them too much for that reason. Here goes...

One other thing, as a huge Replacements it's awesome that Bob Stinson was recognized at 128. However that's 6 spots above Bob Mould which is insane, even if that was based on his Hüsker output alone.

I'm not sure Stinson was even the best guitar player in his own band.

Last edited:

One other thing, as a huge Replacements it's awesome that Bob Stinson was recognized at 128. However that's 6 spots above Bob Mould which is insane, even if that was based on his Husker output alone.

I'm not sure Stinson was even the best guitar player in his own band.
Kind of like how Paul was the better player than George was.

Charo was much better than the #9 listed Joni Mitchell.
As far as technical playing sure, but the preface of the article indicates:

We also tended to give an edge to artists who channeled whatever gifts god gave them into great songs and game changing albums, not just impressive playing.

From that standpoint, I would say Joni Mitchell is underrated at #9.

There are always things to get upset about on these lists. As tikited pointed out, it's clickbait for riling up people who know (or think they know) guitar.

So I'm just going to be happy that Doug Gillard of Guided by Voices made the list. The man is a hook machine.

As far as technical playing sure, but the preface of the article indicates:

We also tended to give an edge to artists who channeled whatever gifts god gave them into great songs and game changing albums, not just impressive playing.

From that standpoint, I would say Joni Mitchell is underrated at #9.

I didn't notice that part. That would make a little sense why Stevie Vai was so low and Yngwie wasn't listed. Still weird though.

#115 in action earlier tonight in Omaha, NE with Wilco.

Nels Cline

IMG_20231023_195134842.jpg

Last edited:

I was planning on going to that show but it just didn't work out. How was it?
I'll post more when I get a chance in the Concert thread, but it was excellent. Well worth the trip. Fantastic venue.

Good show, crappy photo but #134 in action tonight at the Ceder Cultural Center.

Bob Mould

IMG_20231028_213330226.jpg

I did not see Rick Emmitt from Triumph, he may have been on the list, did I miss that?
Also, Steve Vai was amazing to see live.

Good show, crappy photo but #134 in action tonight at the Ceder Cultural Center.

Bob Mould
Another good show on the other side of river by #134 at the Turf Club.

Bob Mould taking a bow.

IMG_20231029_222840170~2.jpg

Last edited:

Really a poor list. If guitar players would have a vote it would be much different. I'm sure they all do things very well for what they were/are doing but many of those are just people who make popular music. Just a few that I can think who should have been in the top 20 are Glen Campbell and a top 10 should be Danny Gatton. People are still trying figure what they did.

#137 in action earlier tonight standing 6' 1" & mesmerizing at the Palace in St Paul.

Liz Phair

IMG_20231117_214542958~2.jpg
IMG_20231117_223137656~2.jpg

Top Bottom