RPI Rankings

There's a huge unknown in who said BTT opponent would be. At 8-10, we will likely be in the 7-10 game or perhaps 8-9. It could well be Indiana who might have an RPI of 80 or so. That would not do the same damage as NW who might have an RPI of 120 by then.

That said, our RPI going into said game will likely be around 45. I still think it's unlikely that one loss, even to RPI 120 will send us plunging 15 spots. It didn't happen when we lost to Purdue or NW when they were 100+. Why would it now?

Losing to a high seed in the first round of the BTT would do some major damage.

This argument about whether our RPI would be 50 or 60 is kind of moot, because if we finish 2-4 with an opening loss in the BTT and an RPI of 50 or up, we're probably not making the tournament.

If we end up facing Indiana in a must-win game in the opening round of the BTT, that would be really tough. Regardless of RPI, Indiana would be a ridiculous opening game for a B1G 6th or 7th seed, as compared to Illinois, Northwestern or Penn State.

I was using rpiforecast or liverpi to see the rpi rankings going forward.

Of course, as other teams win and lose a 45 could become a 47 or a 43 with a single opponents win or loss.
With all of that said, I don't understand how a single loss takes them from 45 to 60.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/ct/Minnesota.html

Indiana

There's a huge unknown in who said BTT opponent would be. At 8-10, we will likely be in the 7-10 game or perhaps 8-9. It could well be Indiana who might have an RPI of 80 or so. That would not do the same damage as NW who might have an RPI of 120 by then.

That said, our RPI going into said game will likely be around 45. I still think it's unlikely that one loss, even to RPI 120 will send us plunging 15 spots. It didn't happen when we lost to Purdue or NW when they were 100+. Why would it now?

Indiana RPI rank is currently 100 per ESPN http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/84/indiana-hoosiers

They have a nasty remaining schedule but if they win a few their RPI would be expected o improve.

Top Bottom