RP

I turned to darling wife five minutes into the game and told her we were going to lose. I hate being right. Northwestern. How many times in the last 10 years have we ran into Northwestern and desperately needed a win and fell flat on our faces? Anyone who didn't see this one coming is blind. All of these 'home run hire' coaching threads are funny. We're not a desirable program folks. I say we bring in a exorcist. There is some devilish stuff around this program. Devilish stuff.

This is how I feel about Richard, and this is how I've felt for some time. Right or wrong, I feel like I've wasted eight years hoping against hope that he'd finally, magically turn into the talent we hoped we were getting when we made the speculative hire eight years ago. I'm not sure how many years I have left or whether I'll ever get to see another conference championship or Final Four run, and I just spent the better part of a decade going down a dead-end street.

No landing better players has been a problem. To me, perhaps a bigger problem, is the inability to coach the players he does have into a really cohesive group. Sloppy play, repeatedly, year after year, is a sign the coaching is not getting it done.
That and not enough depth. Never enough depth.

Can you imagine the roster next year with about 5 more freshman centers coming in that aren’t big ten ready😂?

Next year is a legit get out of jail free card with the transfer rule. A new coach could do some serious roster reconstruction fast and hopefully convive a few pieces to stick around (mash).

Coyle has to pull the plug now. He has no choice.
Pitino needs to be gone. But brace yourself for a couple more bad years before things get better.
Musselman is my choice.

Can you imagine the roster next year with about 5 more freshman centers coming in that aren’t big ten ready😂?

Next year is a legit get out of jail free card with the transfer rule. A new coach could do some serious roster reconstruction fast and hopefully convive a few pieces to stick around (mash).

Coyle has to pull the plug now. He has no choice.
Transfer rule hasn't been approved yet. We knocked off 3 top 10 teams this year, if we get a decent coach and everyone doesn't leave, we could have a solid team.

Contrarian POV*

There is not enough $ to buy him out and get a quality replacement.

The Athletic Dept is working on very thin budgets this year and last. Yes We get NCAA tourney $ (again- much less this year) and BTN $, but not as much that was budgeted a few years back. would put it under too much stress. This is a business decision also, Coyle is responsible for a bottom line in addition to W/L.

* I firmly believe it is time (or well past) for RP to go.

Contrarian POV*

There is not enough $ to buy him out and get a quality replacement.

The Athletic Dept is working on very thin budgets this year and last. Yes We get NCAA tourney $ (again- much less this year) and BTN $, but not as much that was budgeted a few years back. would put it under too much stress. This is a business decision also, Coyle is responsible for a bottom line in addition to W/L.

* I firmly believe it is time (or well past) for RP to go.
Yeah but he has to think future as well. Nobody is going to pay money to watch the team play. It will even out worst case.

Transfer rule hasn't been approved yet. We knocked off 3 top 10 teams this year, if we get a decent coach and everyone doesn't leave, we could have a solid team.
I disagree.

Most of these guys on the roster appear to be uncoachable.

That may be Pitino, OK, it probably is Pitino!

Players who just need to go:

Carr: He is just not a team oriented player despite his assist numbers. He should be gone.
Curry: Shell of what he could have been. Can't play in the B1G and should not take a scholly.
Gach: I shouldn't be writing this. He was decent at Utah. He is athletic. What happened?
Ihnen: I loved this guy. But he is still the unproven kid he was two years ago. He needs the time machine telephone booth to learn what Pitino failed to teach him.
The 2 incoming recruits: They are not going to help one bit next year. This team needs playmakers who can shoot not lumbering big men who aren't physically developed for the B1G. We have those.

That leaves:
Mashburn
Kalesheur
Williams
Robbins
Johnson
Freeman
Mitchell

They are going to need Musselman or Hoiberg to bring in enough transfers and coach them to play together well enough to perform. Short of Chet walking in and playing for the new coach cause he loves him next year is going to suck worse than this year

It was over before tonight and Beilein or Muss wont be the next coach
Smith or Medved? Or do you think Gates will get an interview as anything more than the appearance of diversity (hate to say it)?

Or does Dutcher have a shot?

Hes gonna get to finish the year, theres like 2 weeks left. He wont be back, trust me on that.
At this point, there's still a small chance they could back into March Madness.

Might as well at least wait until that is announced. If you can him before that, you're basically putting up a giant, red sign saying "don't select us!"

These guys are brick layers. I have never seen a worse shooting team at this level. Maybe it is the offense and a lack of discipline yielding bad shots but the shooting is amazingly bad.

If we are keeping him around because he is "a nice guy" then we ought to be handing out participation medals, too.

These guys are brick layers. I have never seen a worse shooting team at this level. Maybe it is the offense and a lack of discipline yielding bad shots but the shooting is amazingly bad.
Brick layers would imply we are hitting the rim....I think these guys airball 3-4 a game :ROFLMAO:

This is how I feel about Richard, and this is how I've felt for some time. Right or wrong, I feel like I've wasted eight years hoping against hope that he'd finally, magically turn into the talent we hoped we were getting when we made the speculative hire eight years ago. I'm not sure how many years I have left or whether I'll ever get to see another conference championship or Final Four run, and I just spent the better part of a decade going down a dead-end street.

Very well said! I'm pretty sure that I'm older than you so I can relate.

I disagree.

Carr: He is just not a team oriented player despite his assist numbers. He should be gone.
Curry: Shell of what he could have been. Can't play in the B1G and should not take a scholly.
Gach: I shouldn't be writing this. He was decent at Utah. He is athletic. What happened?
Ihnen: I loved this guy. But he is still the unproven kid he was two years ago. He needs the time machine telephone booth to learn what Pitino failed to teach him.
The 2 incoming recruits: They are not going to help one bit next year. This team needs playmakers who can shoot not lumbering big men who aren't physically developed for the B1G. We have those.

That leaves:
Mashburn
Kalesheur
Williams
Robbins
Johnson
Freeman
Mitchell

They are going to need Musselman or Hoiberg to bring in enough transfers and coach them to play together well enough to perform. Short of Chet walking in and playing for the new coach cause he loves him next year is going to suck worse than this year

I'm going to disagree on Gach and Ihnen. They both have major conference level athleticism and quickness and that can't be coached. With the right coaching, I believe each of these players is still capable of doing something.

Ihnen is the second best rebounder on the team on a per minute basis and he's a pretty good on-the-ball defender. He averaged 6.9 points per game in 19 minutes per game over the last 7 games of his freshman season. He's been poorly developed and very poorly used on offense this year.

Gach crashes the boards and is the best rebounding guard on a per minute basis on the team. He is also an 82% career free throw shooter. If another coach can get him to the line more often, his production would go up. He's a poor three point shooter but he's better than Kalscheur this year. Unfortunately, he's a pretty terrible defender so he definitely needs some better coaching there. The good news is he does at least have the athleticism and quickness to be a good defender.

Very well said! I'm pretty sure that I'm older than you so I can relate.
Whether it's sports or anything, I don't want to be sitting here waiting to die. I don't know if I have 40 years left, or four years, or four months, but how about let's use that time and try to win. With a little urgency. Stop dicking around for year after year with guys who it was clear a while ago weren't going to work out.

I'm going to disagree on Gach and Ihnen. They both have major conference level athleticism and quickness and that can't be coached. With the right coaching, I believe each of these players is still capable of doing something.

Ihnen is the second best rebounder on the team on a per minute basis and he's a pretty good on-the-ball defender. He averaged 6.9 points per game in 19 minutes per game over the last 7 games of his freshman season. He's been poorly developed and very poorly used on offense this year.

Gach crashes the boards and is the best rebounding guard on a per minute basis on the team. He is also an 82% career free throw shooter. If another coach can get him to the line more often, his production would go up. He's a poor three point shooter but he's better than Kalscheur this year. Unfortunately, he's a pretty terrible defender so he definitely needs some better coaching there. The good news is he does at least have the athleticism and quickness to be a good defender.
Completely agree. I'm not going to cry if we lose either of these two. But I believe their failures this year are 90% on the staff and horrible coaching. The right coach could definitely make something out of both of them.

Completely agree. I'm not going to cry if we lose either of these two. But I believe their failures this year are 90% on the staff and horrible coaching. The right coach could definitely make something out of both of them.

I agree, but I also see both as bench players for a good team. Gach could be a starter, but something is going on with his confidence or he is injured. He just showed way too much early that I think he has it in him.
Either way though, I am gonna guess he transfers out.

Yeah but he has to think future as well. Nobody is going to pay money to watch the team play. It will even out worst case.
Apparently Pitino gets a "retention bonus" of $400k on May 1st. That makes keeping him just because of the buyout even more ridiculous, because the net cost of it is really only $1.35 million, not $1.75.

Pitino is a dead man walking and he knows it.

He may be fired today if they lose to Nebraska. Regardless he will be gone as soon as the season is over.

I disagree.

That leaves:
Mashburn
Kalesheur
Williams
Robbins
Johnson
Freeman
Mitchell

I've only got 3 maybe 4 players I'd be disappointed if they left with a coaching change. The rest are a see ya for me.

Pitino has made millions over the past 4 years.

in the process he’s proven to be a pretty bad coach.

Take this year for instance, specifically how he manages the roles across the team.

Marcus (and to a similar degree Jamal) ... take bad shots, dribble endlessly, play bad defense ... call them out as team leader. Marcus has hit some huge shots but over the course of the year his play has been awful for a team that needs continuity (words directly fromPitino).

How he lets Marcus get away with such bad defense sets a crappy tone for the other guys.

Gach, Ihnen, Williams,and probably some others ... miss a defensive assignment or read they get pulled or ripped as they go to the other end of the court. Then Pitino uses sarcastic humor in interviews to talk about their shooting. Kids don’t understand his humor especially when they watch their team leader take quite a few terrible shots over the course of a game and play half-effort defense.
Personally, I’m sure the guys get along well.

During the course of a game, I’m also sure some guys are saying ”screw you coach if your going get all over me and not hold other guys accountable”.
I've only got 3 maybe 4 players I'd be disappointed if they left with a coaching change. The rest are a see ya for me.
Bad coach does not develop the guys he recruits (many get worse year to year) and the kids are the problem when the coach makes millions ... I’m more worried about what talent was wasted and I would love to see them all kids have great careers. If that’s here or somewhere else doesn’t matter. In a different setting, I would not be surprised to see them all be much better than they’ve shown here playing for Pitino. Just over the course of this year, Marcus has played himself out of the All Big Ten First Team.

Well, I was a student watching Lou Hudson and Archie Clark so you can imagine how I feel about wasted time. This program has kicked me in the crotch countless times over the years so I'm asking for just one decent stretch as a reward. You know, being a lock for the NCAA; getting past the first round; actually getting a couple of the top kids in the state to come here; and, oh ya, beating the frick'n Badgers and Hawkeyes more than once in a while.

Sure hope Coyle has got things lined up like he apparently did with PJ and that he makes the move after the last game. I think with the right guy and the new college BB landscape it will make the rebuild quicker. At this point, I'm willing to let anyone go on the roster.

Do any reporters ask him why we shoot so many threes when our team sucks at it or is our local media worthless

Yep, and multiple times after losses he has said the team probably took 7-10 more threes than they should have. Well guess what, you are the coach, if you don't think the team should be taking so many 3s, do something about it.

Pitino has made millions over the past 4 years.

in the process he’s proven to be a pretty bad coach.

Take this year for instance, specifically how he manages the roles across the team.

Marcus (and to a similar degree Jamal) ... take bad shots, dribble endlessly, play bad defense ... call them out as team leader. Marcus has hit some huge shots but over the course of the year his play has been awful for a team that needs continuity (words directly fromPitino).

How he lets Marcus get away with such bad defense sets a crappy tone for the other guys.

Gach, Ihnen, Williams,and probably some others ... miss a defensive assignment or read they get pulled or ripped as they go to the other end of the court. Then Pitino uses sarcastic humor in interviews to talk about their shooting. Kids don’t understand his humor especially when they watch their team leader take quite a few terrible shots over the course of a game and play half-effort defense.
Personally, I’m sure the guys get along well.

During the course of a game, I’m also sure some guys are saying ”screw you coach if your going get all over me and not hold other guys accountable”.

Bad coach does not develop the guys he recruits (many get worse year to year) and the kids are the problem when the coach makes millions ... I’m more worried about what talent was wasted and I would love to see them all kids have great careers. If that’s here or somewhere else doesn’t matter. In a different setting, I would not be surprised to see them all be much better than they’ve shown here playing for Pitino. Just over the course of this year, Marcus has played himself out of the All Big Ten First Team.
Never said the kids were the problem not the coach. I am basing it off guys that can shoot and/or rebound. Robbins continually gives up position for a swat attempt. Wouldn't be disappointed if he left. Johnson barely ever rebounds. Curry the same, most guards are terrible shooters. After bashing Freeman I can see some potential and he rebounds better than others, Mashburn I would be disappointed if he left, same as Ihnen with his rebounding and high ceiling. Would like to see Mitchell stay as well.

Top Bottom