Royston

DuluthGopher

Reaction score
I'm not sure this has been discussed or not, and if it's a horrible idea I appologize. But has there been any kind of talk about possibly having Royston get a medical redshirt for this year. I mean we are 1/3 or so through the year, it looks as though we won't make a bowl. I mean if you are the coaches do you try to convince him to just sit out the year and come back next year with hopefully a more experienced defense and a shot to end his senior year with a bowl of some sort. I know Brew needs to win now, but hypotheticaly speaking, if his job was secure for another year, would this be possible? I am not sure, just throwing it out there to see what everyone else thinks.

I don't know all of the rules but Either Mona or Sid asked this question to Brewster on the sports huddle Sunday. Brew said that it was not possible to get a redshirt for this season, and that he will "have to help us this year."

Not sure how medical RS work exactly but he would have to petition for a 6th year since he's already burned his normal RS after transferring. Typically, medical RS's are given to players that miss almost two full seasons to injury - or another "acceptable" reason for not playing.

My understanding is that it would be almost impossible for him to get that medical redshirt.

Medical Redshirts are typically for guys who already redshirted that get injured later. Royston redshirted, but because he redshirted in his transfer year, it is unlikely the NCAA would like his case.

There are a plethra of reasons why a 6th year of school would not be the way to go but first and foremost:

According to NCAA rules he is ineligible for a 6th year medical redshirt. If his redshirt was due to injury then he would be (appeal is an option but extremely unlikely to get).

And yes, "he" would be required to pay tuition if he did go that route...the same as the last 2-years (how many masters or degree's does one need?).

Top Bottom