Royce White just tweeted....

I can't even imagine what the press in this town would do if Tubby started taking every single transfer that quit, got arrested or got kicked off their first team. They literally would turn public perception to a point that it would not be allowed by the "higher ups" at the U. It just simply couldn't happen imo.

It really only takes one incident to get the press to say "i told you so" - and i think this is a valid point. But...

There was a pretty good article about the top 150 ranked players, and what became of them after four years (looking for it now). One thing that jumped out was that 50% of the players in the 60-100 ranking range transfer schools. To me, that's a lot of talent that's available every year to supplement your program, if you do a good job of selecting which ones fit your program.

I'm not advocating taking every transfer that comes along. But given the state of the program, i think it would be good to be taking a more serious look at using this model to upgrade the program. One or two transfers per year, that have proven they can play at the major conference level, even in a supporting role, could help move the program back up the Big 10 basketball pecking order in short order. It seems to be a better route than taking a flyer on a high school kid with marginal talent (not naming names).

I don't know, perhaps we are doing this, and not finding much success. Just my opinion....

The Big 12 will be a tough basketball conference top to bottom. Iowa State will be much better but there aren't going to be any easy games. Texas Tech maybe, after that they all look pretty even with the exception of Kansas at the top. It will be interesting to see how Iowa State comes together as a team.

Wrong. I interpret since 1990 to be inclusive of that year. Obviously you either agree (and thus miss 3 Minnesota wins, or you don't (in which case you could be accused of choosing a cut date that makes it appear "jerkish" ala UW football fans who claim college football suddenly burst on the landscape in 1993 while still missing a Minnesota win). Either way, you could add uninformed to your post alongside "jerkish". FWIW, I wish Royce, ISU and their fans (including you) the very best. My final school choices were Minnesota, ISU and Iowa. I still cheer for one besides my alma mater of Minnesota, and it ain't Iowa. Regardless, ISU still has a 5-4 edge over us since 1/1/90.

Football:
9/15/90- Minnesota 20 - Iowa State 16
9/13/97- Minnesota 53 - Iowa State 29

All Time Series: Minnesota 22-3-1

Hoops:
12/2/90- Minnesota 84 - Iowa State 70

All Time Series: Minnesota 18-11

Some good stuff here. I really just picked a round number of years, and since it's 2011, used 1991 as my starting point. I forgot about '97. That was a banner year in Ames, as far as football goes.

I only posted because as far as "winning anything" the two schools are not that far apart in recent memory. Minny has 1 NIT Championship. I could have said Iowa State has twice as many conference championships in both sports combined in the last 30 years.

^ true, lets not forget their 2nd best player chris allen, was not much more than a 3rd or 4th option on MSU's 2010 team. Royce should compete for a spot on the B12's first team though, which makes me wish we still had him...

3rd or 4th best option on a back to back Final 4 team that has had a full year of nothing but practice and weight room work? I'll take that in a heartbeat.

I don't see why Royce couldn't be such a model citizen like he seems to be at ISU? ISU fans are eating it up too, pretending like they were his first choice and they landed him. More like he had no other choice. He gave them the same line he gave us, "I want to win a national championship here and rebuild the program." Royce always wanted to be the hometown hero, but I think its more just a line he gives people to make him look loyal.

Redemption....Reshape his troubled image...

Another thing, Calipari was going after him pretty hard last summer...but apparently that doesn't mean much...:cool02:

Really, did Cal offer him to go to kentucky? Did Royce want to play behind 2 5 star post players every year?

I know summer leagues mean virtually nothing, but Royce White averaged a triple double and led the Cap City League in assists with nearly double the next closest player. Fred will use him some as a point guard. I did not want Fred to take him in the first place because I did not think it was a risk he needed to take, but so far, Royce has completely stayed out of the spotlight and has not gotten himself in any trouble of any sort. Same could be said of all the ISU transfers so far. Wish our four year players could have followed suit.

Royce White at pg? Sounds like a greeeaaaaat idea. Wow.

He averaged 12 assists per game in the summer league. Not that he will get extensive minutes there, but Fred has said he may use him there. I laughed until I watched him play. It might work for small periods depending on the matchup.

Summer league is a little different. Any decently quick defender and he wouldn't be able to make it anywhere. When's the last time you saw a 6'8" 270 pound guy play pg?

He averaged 12 assists per game in the summer league. Not that he will get extensive minutes there, but Fred has said he may use him there. I laughed until I watched him play. It might work for small periods depending on the matchup.

True, and that's the "one". Iowa State holds a 5-1 record between the two schools, in football and basketball combined, since 1990.

I am responding jerkishly to an obviously jerkish, and uninformed, post. Not yours...the other one.

Meh, I went to KU for grad school so laughing at ISU sports is pretty much a regular thing, not my fault, just the way it goes. I didn't realize the GopherHole was a haven for touchy cyclones fans [insert #15 seeded Hampton joke here]. Welcome to the internet, where I'm certain there is an ISU safe zone somewhere.

Wrong. I interpret since 1990 to be inclusive of that year. Obviously you either agree (and thus miss 3 Minnesota wins, or you don't (in which case you could be accused of choosing a cut date that makes it appear "jerkish" ala UW football fans who claim college football suddenly burst on the landscape in 1993 while still missing a Minnesota win). Either way, you could add uninformed to your post alongside "jerkish". FWIW, I wish Royce, ISU and their fans (including you) the very best. My final school choices were Minnesota, ISU and Iowa. I still cheer for one besides my alma mater of Minnesota, and it ain't Iowa. Regardless, ISU still has a 5-4 edge over us since 1/1/90.

Football:
9/15/90- Minnesota 20 - Iowa State 16
9/13/97- Minnesota 53 - Iowa State 29

All Time Series: Minnesota 22-3-1

Hoops:
12/2/90- Minnesota 84 - Iowa State 70

All Time Series: Minnesota 18-11

Except that I wasn't comparing the two schools, just saying that if we were going to be jealous of another school, it sure as hell shouldn't be ISU.

Not going to lie, after watching that video I wish we had that guy on our team. Looked incredibly powerful going to the hoop.

White can shoot the three too, not like Hoffarber but better than anyone else the Gophs had last year, what about Allen, that team is going to have two flat out scorers that are as good as any in the nation.

White is not...

a 3 point shooter. He is not a point guard, and he is not a stable personality. He is a stong low block player, with a decent handle for his size, but he is not spending any time at guard.

Also, if he has not gone through intensive personal counseling, he will relapse, and have and a "cyclone," like effect on the enitre program.

He answer to dealing with his deep seeded issues was to run away, but unless they are dealt with, he will implode again.

Caveat Emptor

Royce isn't a point guard, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them have a guard bring the ball up the floor and then run the offense through Royce. He has good vision and is a good passer. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in that role.

Dear Dr. Leftyslefty

a 3 point shooter. He is not a point guard, and he is not a stable personality. He is a stong low block player, with a decent handle for his size, but he is not spending any time at guard.

Also, if he has not gone through intensive personal counseling, he will relapse, and have and a "cyclone," like effect on the enitre program.

He answer to dealing with his deep seeded issues was to run away, but unless they are dealt with, he will implode again.

Caveat Emptor

Thanks for the

Thanks for the diagnosis, however, if you aren't a doctor, you probably shouldn't be speculating about a person's "relapsing" or "imploding." White appears to be in great shape, both mentally and physically. He has also had a great attitude, no matter what position he plays. Maybe you should take a look at the recent interview on ABC5 wherein he speaks positively, succinctly and frankly, does not demonstrate any of the symptoms one would display if he were the crackpot you described. DON'T HATE THE PLAYER!!!

Thanks for the diagnosis, however, if you aren't a doctor, you probably shouldn't be speculating about a person's "relapsing" or "imploding." White appears to be in great shape, both mentally and physically. He has also had a great attitude, no matter what position he plays. Maybe you should take a look at the recent interview on ABC5 wherein he speaks positively, succinctly and frankly, does not demonstrate any of the symptoms one would display if he were the crackpot you described. DON'T HATE THE PLAYER!!!

I really don't care how he does on the court, hopefully he turns things around for himself. With that said, for the hundredth time, Royce has always been well spoken in interviews dating back to his Gopher recruitment. I'm not surprised he is continuing that trend, he simply tells people what they want to hear.

Are you Royce White's relative or something? Why so defensive? All "leftyslefty" is stating is what Royce has done after 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th (do I have to go on?) chances in the past. I hope he is stable, but unless someone is helping him why would we expect anything else? He has run away from things in the past, you can pick from the high school before Hopkins or the U of M. I hope he does well, but I will always be a little burned for what he did to the U program.

And I take every clip on a player speaking with a "grain of salt". Anyone can be classy for a clip.

Royce was not ready to play college basketball when he first arrived at UM. Tubby consistently said Royce had work to do before he would lift his suspension. Even after the laptop charge was settled Tubby maintained Royce had work to do and did not reinstate him. I believe Tubby felt he was avoiding further trouble and actually assisting Royce by doing so.
Royce transfered to ISU. Tubby has said it was probably best for Royce to leave Mpls to attend school. It seems that Royce has now done his work. Seperated from his other interests and a year older he now seems ready to play college basketball. I look forward to seeing how he does.

ISU has some serious talent on paper with Lucious, Allen, White, Babb, Christopherson (dynamic 3-point shooter), Clyburn (All-Conference Second Team in Mountain West at Utah; not sure he's eligible this upcoming season), Ejim (averaged 10 points per game last season) and Booker (All Conference Reserve Team). They are looking for a ball-handler -- and if they can find one -- they will be REALLY good. I'm not sure they'll be a national title contender, but expect them to be in the top 25 as Big 12 season starts. They should receive little resistance in the
nonconference games,

Hoiberg says Royce will have the ball in his hands quite a bit this season, praising him for his willingness to pass and
create for others. RW averaged a triple-double in the summer league down in Ames (not that it's that impressive).

Top Bottom