Roy Williams is retiring

A place I could see Eric Mussleman going.

Anyone have any good guesses/suggestions on his replacement?

April Fools? But seriously, always enjoyed Roy’s sense of humor. Wish him the best of luck in retirement and hope he gets into TV or stays involved in college hoops in some way. I imagine first call goes to Tony Bennett (don’t think Few’s ever leaving Gonzaga), Scott Drew...take your pick. Should be a really interesting coaching search.

Last edited:

A place I could see Eric Mussleman going.

Anyone have any good guesses/suggestions on his replacement?
Have heard about Wes Miller (UNCG coach) being a potential hire for a while but I’m sure bigger names such as Muss or maybe a Jerod Haase (obviously not as big a name) will be linked to job. I’m only naming head guys of course could be someone internal or a highly qualified assistant I guess but I’m sure the fan base will be demanding a big name. As previously stated Hope this bodes well for our chances on a potential Walton return. Go Gophs!

Tony Bennett
Billy Donovan
Nate Oats
Muss

They prefer their Carolina coaches to be Carolina Men who bleed Carolina blue. Their ties to Dean Smith go back to 1958 and they haven’t had someone not from his tree since. Will be interesting to see if they break that connection with this hire.

If they go with one of their assistant coaches, Hubert Davis would be my guess. I saw him up in Minnesota with Williams watching high school games a couple of years ago.
I think "in waiting" may have been discussed when he moved over from ESPN.

They should hire Nate Oates, if they had to have a UNC guy it should be Miller but I assume they do what they did after Smith left and hire an assistant for a few failed years

They prefer their Carolina coaches to be Carolina Men who bleed Carolina blue. Their ties to Dean Smith go back to 1958 and they haven’t had someone not from his tree since. Will be interesting to see if they break that connection with this hire.
Seems like the best you could do under these types of constrains is Wes Miller? Didn't coach under Roy, but was on Roy's earlier UNC teams.

Has only coached at low major UNC-Greensboro. That might be too much of a reach, just to maintain "the tree"?

LOL, leave it to good old Roy to figure out the exact time to garner optimum attention to announce his retirement—I bet he’s been mapping this date out for years.

April Fools? But seriously, always enjoyed Roy’s sense of humor. Wish him the best of luck in retirement and hope he gets into TV or stays involved in college hoops in some way. I imagine first call goes to Tony Bennett (don’t think Few’s ever leaving Gonzaga), Scott Drew...take your pick. Should be a really interesting coaching search.

Roy got away with a huge academic cheating scandal at UNC. Lost respect for him because of that.

Most likely they stay in the UNC blood like always.

But if they do break that code, the coaching landscape could get wild.

And Beard just went to Texas

Roy got away with a huge academic cheating scandal at UNC. Lost respect for him because of that.
Honest question: do you think Roy masterminded that whole operation, entirely by himself? Or, what "percentage culpability" do you think he had in it?

Seems like the best you could do under these types of constrains is Wes Miller? Didn't coach under Roy, but was on Roy's earlier UNC teams.

Has only coached at low major UNC-Greensboro. That might be too much of a reach, just to maintain "the tree"?
I agree it’s a reach and risk with how large a step up in level UNCG to UNC is. That being said have heard Williams brag and go on and on about Miller’s coaching acumen. He (Miller) also turned a below average low major in to a consistent winner in one of the better low major conferences in America. Just think it seems to fit and have heard him connected through reliable sources for past couple of years. I’m sure the Twitter eggheads will demand an Oats or similar big name. Had seen Stackhouse mentioned in past but he hasn’t done enough (or really anything) at Vanderbilt obviously with far fewer resources so that doesn’t seem likely

I don't think he masterminded it all, but he no doubt knew what was going on. NCAA is the one really at fault for not doing anything.
You think there was no chance that, as far as Roy honestly knew, "Afro studies" was just an "easy class" that students often took where they didn't have to do much work to get good grades?

Obviously the class went far and above that, to an unacceptable level.

Just wondering if there was any evidence that Roy knew exactly what was going on ... or if it was just a rouge professor who thought that Black students were being taken advantage of and so this was her way of "giving back" to them or some such?

The truth can be mixtures of these, as well. Doesn't have to be binary (and usually isn't).

College basketball clearly has changed. One and done quite often is the new way. I'm suspecting without any proof to back it up, many of these perhaps struggle to deal with academics. Perhaps why many are one and done and not two and done as they have run out of easy classes. Williams I would think has to be tired recruiting relentlessly trying to keep up with the others.

Top Bottom