Rough Start in Indiana

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
TomDienhart : Tweet

Indiana's Kevin Wilson has seen 4 of his hires leave soon after hiring them: Jemal Singleton; Brent Pease; Jerry Montgomery; Corey Raymond.

He's off to a great start in an effort to break Brewster's staff turnover records.

Has there been any indication why? Is Kevin Wilson an abrasive personality, is it just the coaches getting a look at the state of the program and getting out, or it is an indication they found Wilson unprepared for the job? Seems very odd for a BigTen School.

;) Even Brewster's assistants gave him a year before they ran for their careers.

I know Montgomery left to join Hoke at Michigan and Raymond went to go coach at Nebraska with Pelini who he knew from his time at LSU. I also believe Pease went back to Boise State where he was a position coach this past season to be their OC after Harsin left there to go to Texas. I don't even think his family had left Boise yet. They all clearly had better options than Indiana, so may or may not be a reflection on Kevin Wilson.

I have no idea if this is or is not a reflection on Wilson. I will say that he appears to be making some of the same mistakes as Brewster did. It doesn't really seem like he is putting as much stock as he can into continuity. I thought Brewster tried to surround himself with good people, but the good ones simply left. Roof and Withers were good, but Brew must have done a lousy job of evaluating the prospects of them sticking around. It sounds like Brew's issues were also abrasiveness and some other issues but I think Wilson would be better served to go and find people (maybe lesser names or from smaller schools) who are good coaches and who will stick around him. Unfortantely for these younger type of coaches, they haven't been in the game long enough to establish a a wide net of coaches that you know of and have relationships with.

Yeah I have read all that but generally when you accept a position like that there is a certain amount of commitment made. You don't jump ship the first chance you get unless the new job is a lot better. OC at Boise sure, but position coach at ,insert other BigTen school here, seems like smoke. And where there is smoke there is fire...or a smoke machine...or maybe I have glaucoma.

response to GopherGod

Yeah I have read all that but generally when you accept a position like that there is a certain amount of commitment made. You don't jump ship the first chance you get unless the new job is a lot better. OC at Boise sure, but position coach at ,insert other BigTen school here, seems like smoke. And where there is smoke there is fire...or a smoke machine...or maybe I have glaucoma.

response to GopherGod

I am going to venture that Michigan and Nebraska can pay significantly more than Indiana if necessary. Plus those two jobs offer a higher likelihood of success and that equates to a more impressive resume as the coaches try and move up in their career.

I know Montgomery left to join Hoke at Michigan and Raymond went to go coach at Nebraska with Pelini who he knew from his time at LSU. I also believe Pease went back to Boise State where he was a position coach this past season to be their OC after Harsin left there to go to Texas. I don't even think his family had left Boise yet. They all clearly had better options than Indiana, so may or may not be a reflection on Kevin Wilson.

You're right, there is no way of knowing right now if it has to do with Wilson or not. I do think it reemphasizes how rare it is to keep a majority of a staff together like has happened with Kill. More than ever it seems, coaches are "jumping ship" and moving on very quickly. Not saying it's good or bad, just that having a lot of the same staff for an extended period of time is very rare now days.

I wonder how much a recruit and his parents look at the background of coaches who a recruiting him. Hypothetically, if one of these coaches is recruiting my son and talking about "family" and "commitment" it would be hard to take him seriously since he previously "committed" to a program and left several weeks after that. Not saying it is right or wrong for the coaches to leave for a better job so quickly, just that I could see someone viewing it that way. It's certainly a lot more believable when Kill or his staff talks about those things.

I think this is an unfortunate set of circumstances and if it reflects on anything it's more on Indiana than it is on Wilson. For instance, Pease would never have left had he known Harsin was leaving.

As for the comment about teams not keeping a staff together as Coach Kill has, you need to remember these guys started with him when he was at a lower level. Originally they probably had no other options. They liked the guy, they liked his system, and obviously he cares for them and takes care of them....no big ego's means loyalty. Very difficult for a coach at this level, say Hoke, to keep a staff together for years and years as they often come to the job with ego's and without any tie that binds excepts wins/losses, they move on or get canned for a better model.

We're lucky to have hired a coaching team, not just a coach.

Kevin Wilson has a strong background. He followed Randy Walker from Miami of Ohio to Northwestern and served as Walker's offensive coordinator. Walker won a Big 10 title before he died of a heart attack.

Wilson left Northwestern to eventually become the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma. That's just a wee bit better background than Tim Brewster had before he was named the Minnesota coach.

Wilson knew Coach Hill when they were both at Oklahoma. That's why Hill was named the S&C coach at Indiana, after Hill left Minnesota in 2010.

Kevin Wilson has a strong background. He followed Randy Walker from Miami of Ohio to Northwestern and served as Walker's offensive coordinator. Walker won a Big 10 title before he died of a heart attack.

Wilson left Northwestern to eventually become the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma. That's just a wee bit better background than Tim Brewster had before he was named the Minnesota coach.

Wilson knew Coach Hill when they were both at Oklahoma. That's why Hill was named the S&C coach at Indiana, after Hill left Minnesota in 2010.

Tim Brewster was fired. Who gives a sh1t what kind of background he had, he's no longer part of the program. We've moved on, even Iowa fans should.

Top Bottom