Rotoworld's John Norris ranks Cobb as #4 RB for 2015 NF Draft

die hard gopher

Reaction score
Highest projection i've seen yet. Ahead of Abdullah, Coleman, Duke Johnson and Mike Davis. Also SB nation ranked him 7th a few days ago.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/50720/325/norris-rankings--and--top-32

4. David Cobb, Minnesota - All-around back. Cobb will pick up the yards blocked for him but also create yards on his own after contact, many times converting losses to yards gained. Cobb is also adept in the passing game and is comfortable as a receiver.

Good for him. He's really moved up in the last month or two. Halfway through the season he was still projected in the 4th rounds or later. My guess is most people hadn't seen much of him to that point.

It would be cool if the Vikings drafted him.

I'd feel sorry for Cobb. Ha! Just teasing Purple Face Painters. ;)

Seriously though, good for Cobb. He deserves the recognition by NFL scouts and draft prognosticator types that he has been getting.

Ski-U-Mah! Go Gophers!

RBs have fallen out a favor as first round picks. 4-7th RB picked should be 3rd round

It was evident last season he had a special ability to find the hole. This season he clearly had a little more burst and had an extrordinary year considering the anemic pass offense and his running style. He can just play the game, is durable, and can break tackles that many can't and get those 4-5 yards consistently. A lot of these college backs have dominant offensive lines, good QBs, or the speed to turn the corner in NCAA that won't be there consistently in the Bigs. David had none of that, but a special gift for finding the hard yards up the middle and after contact.

It will be really interesting to see what kind of a pro career he has. His draft position probably rides on his hamstring and getting a 4.60ish 40 or better this spring. He's a bit of a relic in today's flashy big play NFL and I'm going to really miss watching his brilliant play. I'm pretty excited for Jones and Smith next year so I'll get over it.

It'd be cool if he was drafted by a team with a great offensive line and super bowl appearances in the future.

Perhaps I should clarify - it would be cool for Gopher fans to be able to see him each Sunday. For himself, it might be cooler to go to a better team.

Wasn't there a 'scout' posting on here that said Cobb was either not NFL talent or wouldn't be drafted or something along those lines??

Wasn't there a 'scout' posting on here that said Cobb was either not NFL talent or wouldn't be drafted or something along those lines??

From what I gather he's a college kid with fashions of being a scout some day. He wasn't really clear what scouting service he said he freelanced for. He thought Cobb would run a 4.8 and was comparable to a guy last year that put up yardage in a lesser conference. He had a number of lesser backs rated higher. it was...interesting stuff. Looking at this "comparable" RBs game tape (I can't recall his name), this runner was nowhere close to Cobb. So, opinions are like ***holes.

From what I gather he's a college kid with fashions of being a scout some day. He wasn't really clear what scouting service he said he freelanced for. He thought Cobb would run a 4.8 and was comparable to a guy last year that put up yardage in a lesser conference. He had a number of lesser backs rated higher. it was...interesting stuff. Looking at this "comparable" RBs game tape (I can't recall his name), this runner was nowhere close to Cobb. So, opinions are like ***holes.

Antonio Andrews from Eastern Kentucky was the RB he was comparing him too. BTW most projected forty times for Cobb i've seen have him at a low 4.6

Cobb will have a good NFL career. He my never be a marquee back but he is pure football player.

Does that include all your opinions in your post as well?

Does that include all your opinions in your post as well?

Yes. The difference is I don't hold myself out as a professional scout. Just someone that's been around, watching the game for a long time and I do have my opinions on what is important in a player and these things dont necessarily match the conventional wisdom. Nobody knows how David will do in the pros.

Trent Richardson was supposed to be a stud. The Vikings drafted a receiver at the #7 spot, Troy Williamson, that could not catch the ball with two hands and after the absolute worst string of drops I've ever seen outside of the high school level claimed to have "vision problems"....but had 4.3 speed. Stone hands but he was fast (sound like a current gopher receiver?) ...we could go on for a long time. Follow enough drafts for enough years and you start to understand the muddiness and hype involved in this.

Yes. The difference is I don't hold myself out as a professional scout. Just someone that's been around, watching the game for along time and i do have my opinions on what is important in a player and these things dont necessarily match the conventional wisdom. Nobody knows how David will do in the pros.

Trent Richardson was supposed to be a stud. The Vikings drafted a receiver at the #7 spot, Troy Williamson, that could not catch the ball with two hands and claimed to have "vision problems" but had 4.3 speed. Stone hands but he was fast (sound like a current gopher receiver?) ...we could go on for a long time. Follow enough drafts for enough years and you start to understand the muddiness and hype involved in this.

I commend your consistency. I also agree with everything you wrote. Just taking a little jab.

I have no idea why this comparison comes to mind, but Cobb's ability/running style has always reminded me of Onterrio Smith (cue Wizzinator jokes). At one point Smith was pretty effective for the Vikings and looked to be a promising young RB...but he was a dumbass. Cobb is not a dumbass and think he will be a serviceable back in the NFL.

I have no idea why this comparison comes to mind, but Cobb's ability/running style has always reminded me of Onterrio Smith (cue Wizzinator jokes). At one point Smith was pretty effective for the Vikings and looked to be a promising young RB...but he was a dumbass. Cobb is not a dumbass and think he will be a serviceable back in the NFL.

He reminds me a little of Le'Veon Bell. I realize Bell is one of the best RB's in the league and I don't think Cobb is quite as explosive laterally, but their vision and ability to pick up extra yards are similar.

He reminds me a little of Le'Veon Bell. I realize Bell is one of the best RB's in the league and I don't think Cobb is quite as explosive laterally, but their vision and ability to pick up extra yards are similar.

This was a comparison I also thought of after the year. Agree totally. Definitely very similar to Le'Veon Bell.

Ask Cobb and that's who he thinks he can be (according to his interview). I can't say I disagree with him but think he's got more of a move the sticks game than a home run game like Bell.

Ask Cobb and that's who he thinks he can be (according to his interview). I can't say I disagree with him but think he's got more of a move the sticks game than a home run game like Bell.

Huh? Bell is the ideal move the sticks RB and is nothing like a home run threat. Both are two speed type backs that lack acceleration and can get caught from behind often, neither have multiple gears.

Huh? Bell is the ideal move the sticks RB and is nothing like a home run threat. Both are two speed type backs that lack acceleration and can get caught from behind often, neither have multiple gears.

Perhaps I misspoke calling him a home run threat. More meant that he seems to go for 2 or 3 yards a lot then breaks one for 40. And if you look at his game logs he does that every week. Cobb was always, imo, a guy that got between 5 and 7 a pop with more limited long gains comparatively but he always kept the sticks moving. Bell also does more in the passing game but that's likely more of a scheme thing. I just remember, perhaps falsely, bell haVing a large number of 30+ yard tds

Top Bottom