Rotating QB's for Iowa Game

Silvio

Reaction score
I liked how Gray really seemed to soften the defense on the plays he was in the game. It seemed to get the running game going and created positive momentum for the offense. On top of that Adam Weber played probably his best game all year, was very accurate for the windy conditions, and had several horrible drops by receivers. I think Gray having success running also reminds Weber that he can also be successful running when he doesn't see what he likes down field, he had several nice runs.

I think the offense bogged down in the third quarter when it was closer to only Adam Weber at QB.

I don't think the split should be anywhere near 50/50 for the Iowa game, but I think a mix of Gray at QB gives the gophers their best chance to win. Two weeks to prepare should allow the gophers to come up a with a couple of plays for gray that he can run that would be traditional "Weber" based plays and vice versa. I would guess that Weber and the other seniors want a rivalry win more than anything to end their careers.

Also does anyone know how improved the health of the offensive line will be by game day? The Iowa front 4 is a little tougher than the Illinois group.

I really hope that in the next two weeks they install some sort of wrinkle. Pistol, speed option, something to open up the D.

Horton said this morning that he expects Olson back and possibly Carufel for Iowa. We are pretty banged up on the O line.

I would like to see Gray get more snaps. Let Weber start each half and Gray takes the second and fourth quarters.

I would like to see Gray get more snaps. Let Weber start each half and Gray takes the second and fourth quarters.

I don't know if you need to break it down by quarter. I would like to see Gray get several series throughout the first 3 quarters and then determine the 4th by the flow of the game. If it remains close then Weber should be given the chance to win a trophy game during the final start of his as a gopher.

So far everyone in the Stadium knows it is 80% surity that Gray will run the ball. Why not let him be a run, pass, hand off threat???? I don't think he gained a whole lot by playing QB Sat.

So far everyone in the Stadium knows it is 80% surity that Gray will run the ball. Why not let him be a run, pass, hand off threat???? I don't think he gained a whole lot by playing QB Sat.

They made positive plays and moved the chains to a degree. He threw one pass (IIRC) that was to the proper receiver if not on target. I think his time was used to set the defense on its heels a bit, plus although a different offense next year if he is the QB he will most likely be used in a similar format to how he is being used now as that is his strength.

Obviously Weber will start, but we need to see Gray run whole series and also pass so that he's not so predictable.
(When even I can call the plays they are going to run, as I did for part of the Illinois 3rd Quarter when they ran those dives into the line, something is wrong!).
As Silvio said "the mix gives us the best chance to win". (Man I hate that phrase).
I think using Gray inspires Weber to play better and it shows a willingness to do something different to win a game.
This is really what has frustrated me for the past 3 years...you didn't need to be a FBS coach to see this was needed for a long long time.

Top Bottom