Roster

SD GOPH!

Reaction score
If Pitino is gone, who stays on the roster for next year?

Anyone?

If Pitino is gone, who stays on the roster for next year?

Anyone?
It's hard enough figuring who's back if he stays due to the new transfer rule and extra year.

Carr: Gone either way
Gabe: Back either way.
Tre Williams: 50/50 with Pitino, gone with a new coach.
Johnson : 50/50 either way.
Liam: 75/25 with Pitino/uncle. 40/60 with new coach.

Mashburn: 75/25 ; 25/75
Gach: 50/50 either way
Ihnen: 50/50 either way
Curry : 75/25 ; 50/50
Freeman: 50/50; 25/75
Mitchell : 50/50; 25/75

In previous years I would have worried about this more. If we did get a new coach, there likely would be big roster turnover. However, with the no sit rule for transfers and likely in the neighborhood of 1000 transfers, I think a new coach wouldn't be behind the 8 ball as much as say 10 years ago

I actually think Mash is very likely to return either way. You can tell he wants to be the leader. Getting the opportunity as a sophomore would be a plus for him. I don’t think he cares if he has talent around him.

I actually think Mash is very likely to return either way. You can tell he wants to be the leader. Getting the opportunity as a sophomore would be a plus for him. I don’t think he cares if he has talent around him.

I agree he wants to be a leader but almost everyone cares whether or not he has talent around him.

I actually think he is gone if Pitino is gone. This story is not written yet. Win 5-6 in a row and people will sing a different song.

I actually think he is gone if Pitino is gone. This story is not written yet. Win 5-6 in a row and people will sing a different song.
Oh I don’t think Pitino will be fired this year, but I realize it’s a possibility however unlikely. It’s more just a hypothetical. A tournament bid will be good enough to save his job. I think we’ll get there.

I agree he wants to be a leader but almost everyone cares whether or not he has talent around him.
Kinda missing the point. He’s not good enough to be the leader on a good team.

I Love the optimism... but that just isn't going to happen! Mashburn should be getting so much more time than he has been getting. Just one example of mismanagement of this roster nearly every game.

It would be hard to find a team in the conference with less talent in their Freshman and Sophomore classes and less talent committed for the future than the Gophers. Nobody in that group has ever scored more than 10 points in a college basketball game (Mashburn twice, Williams and Ihnen once each).

I think it makes more sense to worry about who is coming back (ala Diedhiou, Hurt, etc) than who is leaving.

What if we fired Pitino and gave the job to Liam's Uncle?

Carr gone - Net improvement

Everyone else back - I'm good with

Kinda missing the point. He’s not good enough to be the leader on a good team.

I didn't miss the point. You failed to make that point. There's nothing in your prior post indicating what you just said here.

What if we fired Pitino and gave the job to Liam's Uncle?

Carr gone - Net improvement

Everyone else back - I'm good with

So the team is better without Carr, who you recently said is a top 5 transfer in Gopher history? You put him ahead of Grier, Mbakwe, Liam Robbins (who you still want on the team)...

I get your opinion can change but in a week he goes from being better than those guys, to the team being better without him on it? Did he kick your dog or something?

I agree. He's here partly because of Pitino family connections. Not going to say it's 100%, but he'd be one of the least likely to stay.

It would be hard to find a team in the conference with less talent in their Freshman and Sophomore classes and less talent committed for the future than the Gophers. Nobody in that group has ever scored more than 10 points in a college basketball game (Mashburn twice, Williams and Ihnen once each).

I think it makes more sense to worry about who is coming back (ala Diedhiou, Hurt, etc) than who is leaving.
The thing is, Mashburn has talent and Mitchell very well may. Same for Freeman. But Mashburn is under-utilized and Mitchell and Freeman can't see the floor. Pitino always buries guys 9-13 until they transfer.

This is probably one of your most ridiculously hyperbolic posts I've ever read on here - which is REALLY saying something. Mashburn would start for at least a 1/3 of the teams in the conference RIGHT NOW.

Worth it to try this starting lineup?

Carr
Mashburn
Williams
Johnson
Robbins

Personally i have been for riding the gabe train, but am starting to have doubts.

Last edited:

Worth it to try this starting lineup?

Carr
Mashburn
Williams
Ihnen
Robbins

Personally i have been for riding the gabe train, but am starting to have doubts.
I would except Ihnen. He's done zero to earn a start and Johnson has been decent.

I didn't miss the point. You failed to make that point. There's nothing in your prior post indicating what you just said here.
My apologies. I thought it was baked in. Mash would want to stay on a depleted gopher team because he’d get the opportunity to be Top dog.

So the team is better without Carr, who you recently said is a top 5 transfer in Gopher history? You put him ahead of Grier, Mbakwe, Liam Robbins (who you still want on the team)...

I get your opinion can change but in a week he goes from being better than those guys, to the team being better without him on it? Did he kick your dog or something?
I don't own a dog.

I just think Carr is uncoachable at this point. Plays lazy defense, dribbles too much, can't seem to beat the double team and so on. He has capable players around him. He should be playing better.

This is probably one of your most ridiculously hyperbolic posts I've ever read on here - which is REALLY saying something. Mashburn would start for at least a 1/3 of the teams in the conference RIGHT NOW.

I usually refrain from responding to your posts, but I will indulge you here. Jamal Mashburn Jr is an undersized shooting guard that is currently shooting 34.1 % from the field and 25.6% from 3. His win shares per 40 minutes is .045, that puts him LAST on the Gophers at 14th (behind Hunt Conroy). If you go to conference play alone his win share per 40 drops to -.014 good for 11th on the Gophers (passes Gach, Ihnen, and Conroy). His offensive rating in conference play on the Gophers is 10th (above only Gach and Inhnen, Conroy doesn't qualify) and his defensive rating in conference play is 11th (surprsingly above Kalscheur and Freeman).

I could go on. There is literally no way Jamal Mashburn Jr is a starter for "at least a 1/3" of the teams in the conference. He might start for Nebraska, they haven't played in forever. He doesn't start for Northwestern over Buie or Audige. He doesn't start for Penn State over Jones or Brockington.

If you are going to accuse someone of being ridiculous, please have your facts straight.

Do you mean the MIAC? There are better players in the MIAC than Mashburn.

Not so sure about this, his stats are marginally better than Kalschuer's, which is abysmal. maybe they improve with more playing time, maybe not.

Top Bottom