-many small lineup combinations
-experienced depth not an issue
-Miller and Rebraca 1st-3rd BIG Team potential next year
-much more guard length

Negatives:

-will mid-major kids translate well
-team chemistry, and only 1 ball for an entire team of transfers
-still no C depth

Despite being EXTREMELY optimistic... Still no actual point guard! (I'd still take it and thank my lucky stars!)

I'm really hoping for Rebraca. Listened to an interview with the kid and I really like where his head is at. I think he could do really well here.

I expe Gach and Willis to both be ahead of McNeilly. He’s a 4 star but there may be a reason he hasn’t played in 2 years. I think Gach will be healthy and have a great season. Fox is the wild card. If he plays well I think this team could be pretty decent.

Don't know what to think of these names listed. Fingers crossed that BJ can coach this rag tag crew to more than a dozen victories.

Here’s my projection 4/19/21:

PG: Loewe/Stephens
SG: McNeilly/Gach/Willis
SF: Miller/Ihnen/Sutherlin
PF: Johnson/Fox/Battle
C: Rebraca/Thompson

Positives:

-much more guard length

Negatives:

-still no C depth
Willis will get minutes at PG
lots of position flexibility....love that.
in this scenario Johnson can play center as well....so i wouldnt hate the Center depth....

if they can figure out the chemistry thing....that will be the biggest obstacle

Might be a hot take but i think this years team will be more talented than last years *ducks*
I guess we will have to wait and see how many wins they have over ranked teams.

If Miller commits, the star player for A&M with a likely NBA future, combined with athletic All-American D-2 Fox and proven 3pt. snipers in Battle and Loewe, along with much needed Guard depth McNeilly-Stephens-Sutherlin-Willis and probable improvement from Gach & Ihnen......It could become a more competitive team than last year...Frontcourt will need help, unless we can find a couple serviceable transfers along with Brandon Johnson returning, if this occurs Coach Ben Johnson should receive high praise in assembling a team from scratch that will produce wins.....

Rebraca is a pretty key piece to that roster. Seems premature to pencil him in there though, his recent comments make him sound like a heavy Iowa lean to me.

Still some moves left to be made but cool to see the roster starting to come together. As for what things will look like when this team finally takes the court.....that will be the big question.

At the very least, it is starting to look like we will have a competitive team out there most nights, even if the win/loss record isn't the greatest. And who knows, maybe Johnson hits a few home runs in this group and puts together a solid squad that can do even more. Shouldn't be an expectation in year one but we are in uncharted territory to a certain degree with having almost the entire roster turn over.

What we do know is we are going to have a lot of hungry players looking to prove they can cut it at this level. The buy in from this group should be really really high.

I think you'll see Fox at center a decent amount.
Really? Why? In his 12 minute highlight video, I didn’t see his back to the basket once. He looked like an athletic slashing forward to me.

Really? Why? In his 12 minute highlight video, I didn’t see his back to the basket once. He looked like an athletic slashing forward to me.
I thought I read an article saying something to that. Plus I think he's a very poor 3 pt shooter.

I’m not expecting a big ten championship, but I honestly believe that this team will beat Iowa, they will beat northwestern and penn state, could beat Rutgers and maybe Indiana. The bottom of the big ten will be so weak that I think it is very probable they could finish top 8 or even higher at the end of the year.

I thought I read an article saying something to that. Plus I think he's a very poor 3 pt shooter.
On offense its no big deal who you have playing inside as you can play smaller, but defending other teams bigs inside is what worries me. I guess we could play zone and force some outside shots but I haven't seen the gophers play zone in a long time.

On offense its no big deal who you have playing inside as you can play smaller, but defending other teams bigs inside is what worries me. I guess we could play zone and force some outside shots but I haven't seen the gophers play zone in a long time.
Right, I trust Thor’s defense all day tho, he will make diamonds out of coal

I’m not expecting a big ten championship, but I honestly believe that this team will beat Iowa, they will beat northwestern and penn state, could beat Rutgers and maybe Indiana. The bottom of the big ten will be so weak that I think it is very probable they could finish top 8 or even higher at the end of the year.

Weird that you put Indiana in that group. They have a pretty good roster. And will certainly not be among the bottom of the big10

Weird that you put Indiana in that group. They have a pretty good roster. And will certainly not be among the bottom of the big10
That’s why I put them in the maybe, I expect a split at best

Rebraca is a pretty key piece to that roster. Seems premature to pencil him in there though, his recent comments make him sound like a heavy Iowa lean to me.
Yead I'd agree. Shoot 3s, score the ball, and play very little defense can be very appealing

Though I'd love Johnson back, it seems slim that he comes back to us if he does return to college. Man I'd love to get him back though.

We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Yead I'd agree. Shoot 3s, score the ball, and play very little defense can be very appealing
I just can’t see why he would even want to go there, it’s gonna be a complete dumpster fire there next year

Though I'd love Johnson back, it seems slim that he comes back to us if he does return to college. Man I'd love to get him back though.

We'll see what happens.
Curious why you think it is slim that Johnson comes back here if he does return to college? My gut says that he tries the NBA waters, doesn't find what he is looking for and comes back to the U for one more season.

But maybe I missed him giving some indication that he wouldn't be back no matter what.

Curious why you think it is slim that Johnson comes back here if he does return to college? My gut says that he tries the NBA waters, doesn't find what he is looking for and comes back to the U for one more season.

But maybe I missed him giving some indication that he wouldn't be back no matter what.
I was just basing it on his fairwell post. Sure seems like he was on his way out either way, and it makes sense that he would want to go play for a team that will be a locked in high level NCAA tournament team.

I also think there's a link between Fox coming and Johnson going.

Pretty sure Carr had the same sort of fairwell before returning to play last year though so I could be wrong.

I expe Gach and Willis to both be ahead of McNeilly. He’s a 4 star but there may be a reason he hasn’t played in 2 years. I think Gach will be healthy and have a great season. Fox is the wild card. If he plays well I think this team could be pretty decent.
The reason he hasn't played in two years is because he redshirted his first year due to a foot injury and opted out due to COVID last year. Gach and Willis may be ahead but it's not like he has been the last player on the bench for A&M the last two years. He is quite an unknown to say the least.

Positives:

-much more guard length

Negatives:

-still no C depth
I'm afraid our odds on Rebraca and Johnson are both very slim.

Anyone else remember when teams started pressing because Willis couldn’t handle the press?

I don't think he was really asked to a lot. I talked about this in another thread, Greenlee (although he rarely played)I think took almost all of the PG minutes other than Carr. If my memory serves me correctly, Willis is an average ball handler but certainly more of a SG.

Positives:

-much more guard length

Negatives:

-still no C depth
Ihnen should be a 4 and Gach should be a 3 (IMO).

Isn't Miller more of a 4? Seems pretty agile and has a decent handle from what I've seen but I think he might be more of a Jordan Murphy type of undersized 4. Doesn't seem to be much of a floor spacer at all.

Top Bottom