Rossi leaving for DC at Michigan St

In addition to more money and resources, I think it's going to be harder for programs like the Gophers to keep good coaches with the additional stress NIL brings to recruitment. If you're a coach for a program like the Gophers you need to go into every off-season now competing with blue blood programs to keep your best players. That probably means sitting down with a young man and convincing them that it's in their best interest to turn down the largest financial opportunity they've been presented so far in their life. And some of these guys might not have realistic NFL careers.

The higher up you are on the ladder, and the more resources you have, the easier those conversations are. I think the administration needs to think long and hard about what they can do to keep this team really competitive in the Big Ten, otherwise we might be looking at a future of never being top 10 in the Big 10. We either need to find a big pile of NIL cash or a viable path for Gopher athletes to become real national celebrities so we they can actually tap into Minnesota's base of international corporations.

Where are the Daytons, Bachmans, Lunds, Carltons, and Pohlads?? oh ... nm
They are like the family member that pitches a good idea but disappear from the cashier when it's time for pay up for said idea.

"Things fall apart...the centre cannot hold." (Yeats). Why does PJ go for all these co-something staffers. Get a really good DC and a really good OC, with one or both good recruiters.

Ryan Burns has said it many times on his podcasts. After the bowl game last year many of the assistants got raises. Burns, and I think the Strib as well, have reported many times that PJ chose not to use $700K of what he had available at that time. Was it still available for him to offer when Rossi came to him and said I’m leaving? Who knows??
Burns is a Rossi lover. He is big on giving his slants on coaches like others than gets livid if someone does not go along with his slants. Rossi was his favorite and all year stayed away from ripping him for the awful defense and got mad at others who did rip him. He acted like Notre Dame had him on their radar last year and made up that a SEC team offered him a job last year. He wants Wegner fired in the worst way and gets mad at posters who say anything good about Special teams.

Burns is a Rossi lover. He is big on giving his slants on coaches like others than gets livid if someone does not go along with his slants. Rossi was his favorite and all year stayed away from ripping him for the awful defense and got mad at others who did rip him. He acted like Notre Dame had him on their radar last year and made up that a SEC team offered him a job last year. He wants Wegner fired in the worst way and gets mad at posters who say anything good about Special teams.
I am not saying you’re wrong in regards to how Butns feels about Rossi. but Burns was not the only one who had the report of the 700,000 that Fleck decided not to spend.

The OC’s Fleck has hired could be a factor too. Rossi sick of having to be complemented by those offenses. The defense may be just fine without him however. Could recruiting get better?
East Lansing might be the most depressing big time college town. This is coming from the guy that said Detroit is worth a visit. It is not a place that I would want to live and raise my family (compared to most other large University communities.).

Love the damage control on the thread. How can you not think this is a big loss? One bad year in the past 5-6 on an injury riddled team. People really have confidence in PJ bringing in someone better? Lol

Where are the Daytons, Bachmans, Lunds, Carltons, and Pohlads?? oh ... nm
Most of them are several generations past the patriarchs so the wealth has been diluted...still well off but not at the level where many would meaningfully contribute to an NIL collective. Their philathropy is used elsewhere.

Yeah, facilities can’t turn you down or put you in a top five or say they have to ask their wife.

By far the easiest thing to “catch up” on. All it takes is money, and you’re back even with everyone.

Top Bottom