Rossi leaving for DC at Michigan St

Ok, everyone is wondering about the recruits. What about the fact that the portal is still open. Couldn't he in theory take current players from the roster with him? I'm way more worried about current guys that we know can play would leave. I would hate to see players like Cody, Jah, and the like bail out now.

Where does MSU get that kind of money?
The part of the deal that is very interesting is that Smith’s buyout is tied to his athletic director being employed at MSU. If the AD leaves, Smith’s buyout is cut in half. On the surface it looks like Smith wants to keep the guy who hired him there. It could also be used by the AD to pressure the school in retaining him, hire salary, perks etc.

Granted, the first is 11 years old but the second is more recent. Sure,there has been turmoil in East Lansing in that time, but the assumption is that the administrative and department turmoil will settle down. Meanwhile, the very same challenges remain in Minneapolis. And NIL wasn't even a consideration in 2012. Advantage MSU. And, if for the sake of argument, one would concede that everything else besides pay is equal, the very fact that Rossi is getting a significant pay increase eliminates the idea that this is a lateral move. But financial resources are certainly one way to measure the quality of a job, and not only is there more money for Rossi, but defensive assistants as well.

And if Rossi doesn't care for the PJ schtick, working for someone else might be an upgrade, too.

Last edited:

For some reason, I don't consider this much of a loss.

We played so many crap offenses and gave the ball to Mo to shorten games. I don't that the next guy can't be as good as Rossi.
I pretty much agree. Last year I would have been really bummed, but after watching the defense give up chunks of yardage game after game, it's not ruining my day. Main worry is that we might lose a couple of recruits, but there were no guarantees there either.

He will be next season's over-hyped Luke Fickel. Will Minnesota be even worse?

Did he bail from a sinking ship?

Did the Gophers CORRECTLY I say blow their cash on a QB - like they should - and leave D wanting? If they only have so much bread, the QB is the way to go for the big stage, I say. Might be skimpy years for D????

Granted, this is 11 years old and there has been turmoil in East Lansing in that time, but the assumption is that the administrative and department turmoil will settle down. Meanwhile, the very same challenges remain in Minneapolis. And NIL wasn't even a consideration in 2012. Advantage MSU. And, if for the sake of argument, one would concede that everything else besides pay is equal, the very fact that Rossi is getting a significant pay increase eliminates the idea that this is a lateral move. But financial resources are certainly one way to measure the quality of a job, and not only is there more money for Rossi, but defensive assistants as well.

And if Rossi doesn't care for the PJ schtick, working for someone else might be an upgrade, too.
It's a lateral move. Just better pay. U has spent a bunch of $$ on upgrading facilities. Added Athlete's Village, stat of the art indoor practice facility, living quarters for athletes, etc.

FWIW - MSU next year in the B1G

Maryland
OSU
Oregon
Iowa
Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Purdue
Rutgers

MSU's only "protected" game is Michigan.

On Rossi - unless he talks or Fleck talks, we won't know.

there is no obvious connection between Rossi and Jonathan Smith, the new MSU HC. as far as I can tell, their coaching paths have never crossed. it's possible they have some mutual friends, or they may just know each other from reputation.

people change jobs for all kinds of reasons. some people change jobs just because they want a change or a new challenge. it doesn't have to be a negative situation.

It's a lateral move. Just better pay. U has spent a bunch of $$ on upgrading facilities. Added Athlete's Village, stat of the art indoor practice facility, living quarters for athletes, etc.
Sure, lateral move if you disregard pay and resources and are looking at this through maroon and gold colored glasses. I suppose there might be a few folks around Dinkytown that agree but even by your own admission, this isn't a lateral move.

Rossi could have left for $$$.

Rossi could have left because he no longer wanted to work for Fleck.

Rossi could have left because Fleck pushed him out.

Rossi could have left because the D sucked this year and wanted to get out before he started taking the heat for it.

Whatever the reason Fleck has a lot of work to do this offseason.
Doesn’t need to be one reason. Could be some mix of two or more of the reasons you cited.

The part of the deal that is very interesting is that Smith’s buyout is tied to his athletic director being employed at MSU. If the AD leaves, Smith’s buyout is cut in half. On the surface it looks like Smith wants to keep the guy who hired him there. It could also be used by the AD to pressure the school in retaining him, hire salary, perks etc.
His name is Mat Ishbia and he bought the Phoenix Suns last year.

Sure, lateral move if you disregard pay and resources and are looking at this through maroon and gold colored glasses. I suppose there might be a few folks around Dinkytown that agree but even by your own admission, this isn't a lateral move.
I said better pay. Happens all the time in other careers but it's still the same job. Say all you want, but the move is lateral.

Fleck just finished year seven and the program appears to trending down. Rossi probably sees more job security going to a newly hired head coach.

Mat Ishbia
Worth $5.1B, per Forbes
Old man started regional mortgage company and he took it national after graduating from MSU.
Walk on PG for Izzo
Donated the money 💰 for buyout of Mel Tucker
Also owns Phoenix Suns - legit Billionaire, as the pro leagues truly vet owners
He’s the perfect guy you’d want to be involved in rhe NiL - he’s their Phil Knight, T. Boone Pickens

Last edited:

I read recently that Tracy Claeys is available.

Ok, everyone is wondering about the recruits. What about the fact that the portal is still open. Couldn't he in theory take current players from the roster with him? I'm way more worried about current guys that we know can play would leave. I would hate to see players like Cody, Jah, and the like bail out now.
Someone in the world must still have some ethics...that would be a message he wasn't happy here

We have to be at the bottom of the Big Ten in NIL.

I'm sure salary is decent, but if you can't buy players you can't compete.

MSU perhaps seems lateral, but they have wayyyyy more money that we do. Not even close.

Guy who went to Rutgers did so to step up to be their DC from being an assistant here. Might be a decent candidate to come back here and be our DC now, or maybe he likes it there under Schiano.

So who are we going to get to decide to rush 3, drop 8 into coverage and still get torched by mediocre QB's?

I think teams finally figured out how to beat his defenses. This was an opportunity to cash in while he still could. He was a good DC, but certainly not irreplaceable.

This past year left a LOT to be desired.

We have to be at the bottom of the Big Ten in NIL.

I'm sure salary is decent, but if you can't buy players you can't compete.

MSU perhaps seems lateral, but they have wayyyyy more money that we do. Not even close.

Guy who went to Rutgers did so to step up to be their DC from being an assistant here. Might be a decent candidate to come back here and be our DC now, or maybe he likes it there under Schiano.
How much do they have vs. us? You don't know. Nobody does. This NIL thing is turning into a magical unicorn where everyone thinks they are broke while everyone else has coffers overflowing.

None of NIL is transparent, so you are correct on that.

I don't know, but I absolutely believe MSU has wayyyy more NIL than we do.

Lateral 😂. I know this is a gopher forum but come on!
Yeah with the ongoing scandals in the athletic department and at the school, the school admin in chaos, a middling football program, hiring a sub .500 HC, and the lagging facilities at MSU, it's probably generous calling it lateral.

Top Bottom