Rose into the Portal

Could have happened if Lindsay was retained or not, but I still think the team would have stayed together had Whalen remained. Super frustrating.

100 of the best programs are still playing and recruiting isn't their emphasis right now. Would have been nice if she could have waited a week or two to at least see who the new coach is going to be before making this decision.

travelling, moving screens, and left handed layups. i hope she finds a coach that can teach her fundamental post moves. Sissoko improved dramatically after transferring to USC. Same with Sconiers after transferring to Delaware. i wish her well.

She was the one that I figured was most likely to leave. Hopefully we’ll get a good new coach and no one else will leave.

Micheaux earned Big Ten Honorable Mention. She is good and respected for all she did.

Her leaving solves the one problem of three starter players at center and power forward. Micheaux is #3 of that group. Hart is clearly your starter at center and someone we hope to see making All Big Ten honors for the Gophers. Heyer at power forward gives offense and more offense from several areas -- Rose just isn't that kind of shooter. The team now needs a small forward/shooting guard from the incoming freshmen, current players, and/or the transfer portal. Maybe Czinano takes another step up. Holloway we don't know but excited to see her play. She brings it. Hopefully the new coach brings a nice add in. Unclear what position she plays, I am guessing rotation at power forward or maybe small forward if her shooting is improved. The team gets better with a new coach.

Last edited:

She should be the first call made by the new coach. Entering the portal just means she's re-opening her recruitment. There have been examples of this plenty of times when there is a coaching change, a player enters the portal and after getting re-recruited by the new coach, decides to come back. And....yes, I'm trying to be positive. :confused:

I think Micheaux saw Hart has taken her starting spot. Micheaux won't be back. She would want a starter job elsewhere.

So sad to see her go, she grew so much as a player from her first season to this season. Even this season I thought there was growth, early in the season if the ball went to her she rarely passed out of double and triple teams seems it got better as the season progressed. Still think she would have been a starter with the new coach. Good to her I guess.

This is very disappointing. And smells. To announce now, before even knowing who our next coach is most likely means some other coach already contacted her and she knows exactly where she's going already (and what she'll get paid). Way too fast. Would have more respect for her if she showed more respect to MN and her current teammates and waited to see who the new coach is. I hope I'm wrong and it's not a done deal and the incoming coach could still hold some sway.

This is very disappointing. And smells. To announce now, before even knowing who our next coach is most likely means some other coach already contacted her and she knows exactly where she's going already (and what she'll get paid). Way too fast. Would have more respect for her if she showed more respect to MN and her current teammates and waited to see who the new coach is. I hope I'm wrong and it's not a done deal and the incoming coach could still hold some sway.
Too soon, we don't have a coaching staff? A lot of players have left the program in the last 2 to 3 years. Rose is salt of the earth good people, with good parents. Don't accuse this young lady of something she is not. I'm sad to see her go. Visited with her dad at a game. She comes from a quality family. I wish she would stay but she has a bright future. She was a good representative of the U on and off the court even in media interviews.

Last edited:

Too soon, we don't have a coaching staff? A lot of players have left the program in the last 2 to 3 years. Rose is salt of the earth good people, with good parents. Don't accuse this young lady of something she is not. I'm sad to see her go. Visited with her dad at a game. She comes from a quality family. I wish she would stay but she has a bright future. She was a good representative of the U on and off the court even in media interviews.
Who said she wasn't a good person? When did I criticize her family? She seemed like a wonderful person, player and representative of UofMN. Which is why I really, really hoped she'd at least give the new coach and staff a modicum of consideration. I'm very disappointed that she didn't give it that time (a couple more weeks at most?) and jumped out so quick. But I guess if Geno, Dawn or some other power program comes calling you don't hesitate to see who your next coach will be. Most players would do the same (well, except for Mara, Mallory and Nia).
My previous 'and smells" comment was referring to how quickly another team (one I have to believe in is the tournament) courted her. I'm also not a fan of the current portal and NIL protocol. Very wild west. Professional sports have periods where free agency negotiations are allowed and periods that are considered tampering. NCAA should have the same.

Who said she wasn't a good person? When did I criticize her family? She seemed like a wonderful person, player and representative of UofMN. Which is why I really, really hoped she'd at least give the new coach and staff a modicum of consideration. I'm very disappointed that she didn't give it that time (a couple more weeks at most?) and jumped out so quick. But I guess if Geno, Dawn or some other power program comes calling you don't hesitate to see who your next coach will be. Most players would do the same (well, except for Mara, Mallory and Nia).
My previous 'and smells" comment was referring to how quickly another team (one I have to believe in is the tournament) courted her. I'm also not a fan of the current portal and NIL protocol. Very wild west. Professional sports have periods where free agency negotiations are allowed and periods that are considered tampering. NCAA should have the same.
Thank you for the clarification.

She should be the first call made by the new coach. Entering the portal just means she's re-opening her recruitment. There have been examples of this plenty of times when there is a coaching change, a player enters the portal and after getting re-recruited by the new coach, decides to come back. And....yes, I'm trying to be positive. :confused:

Coincidently, "Mr. Portal" addressed this just yesterday. It's pretty rare, even rarer in P5 but he did give a couple of Big Ten examples. Well, actually the Big Ten had the only P5 examples.

Rose is the player I’m least shocked to hear portal news about. I recall a Strib article at the beginning of the season that Rose’s older brother, who she refers to as her best friend in the article, was diagnosed with leukemia a month before the season.

I could see her closer to home in Michigan next season, but cetainly possible she was just ready for some stability after the transfers at the end of her freshman year, and losing the coaches she loves and stayed for after her sophomore.

I’m happy she stayed for the season. She really grew from year one to two, and showed growth during this season. I wish her nothing but the best!

Rose is the player I’m least shocked to hear portal news about. I recall a Strib article at the beginning of the season that Rose’s older brother, who she refers to as her best friend in the article, was diagnosed with leukemia a month before the season.

I could see her closer to home in Michigan next season, but cetainly possible she was just ready for some stability after the transfers at the end of her freshman year, and losing the coaches she loves and stayed for after her sophomore.

I’m happy she stayed for the season. She really grew from year one to two, and showed growth during this season. I wish her nothing but the best!
...and she's clearly the Gopher who would attract the most interest from other schools (although not sure how many P5 schools will want to keep her a center).

Heyer could play a wing.The lineup would be Hart, Rose, Heyer. Braun and Battle.

Heyer could play a wing.The lineup would be Hart, Rose, Heyer. Braun and Battle.

I can see the rewards and risks. Can Heyer guard wings? She does shoot from wings. The Gophers would size up. Is it better to have a power forward who is modern and shoots on the perimeter, Heyer, than Micheaux who attempted zero 3's last year? Hart would maybe thrive in that Hart Micheaux old scho set-up. Heyer can run like a 3 but I doubt the defense part. I don't know. It is worth talking about. If Micheaux stayed I thought maybe she would play mostly at the 1 but both where she gets starter minutes. I don't know. Heyer is the modern power forward. Micheaux is a turn and shoot close. I think Hart can do what Micheaux does plus a ball distributor. Yea, I don't know if Heyer to SF would be size up unstoppable or a defense mistake.

Micheaux is built like and plays like a PF, not a Center. The Gophers need to hit the transfer portal, and perhaps pick up Frannie Hottinger, or someone else that gives us some height as well as physicality down low. Hottinger would also bring a real inside presence for rebounding, as well as strong shooting numbers.

Micheaux is built like and plays like a PF, not a Center. The Gophers need to hit the transfer portal, and perhaps pick up Frannie Hottinger, or someone else that gives us some height as well as physicality down low. Hottinger would also bring a real inside presence for rebounding, as well as strong shooting numbers.

Are you confident Heyer's best position is the 3?

What you wrote makes sense - but it also depends on where Heyer should play. She comes first. I don't know.

Top Bottom