Rose Bowl given an ultimatum.

The current structure of the CFP makes no sense. It probably just needs to be blown-up. I understand ESPN hates that idea.

But it’s a system where Ohio State, for example, has about half as much representation (.0625 of a vote) in the process than New Mexico State (.11 of a vote).

Meanwhile, Notre Dame will have 16x the influence of SEC and B1G schools.

OK, all I'm seeing here is that this is solely about the CFP getting something in place for the 2024 and 2025 post-seasons. For now. That's it, as far as the ultimatum is concerned.

The Rose already agreed that it would be a quarter-final game in an expanded 12 team playoff, potentially not having a Big Ten vs PAC matchup. And it was good with this.

I predict they will agree today, for the two years. And then keep pushing for more assurances in the new contract (2026 and beyond).

The issue is this: clearly what the CFP is trying to do is keep the six NY6 bowls and rotate who is QF and who is SF, every year. So each one gets 2 QF's and 1 SF's.

Problem is, the QF's would be NYD weekend and the SF's would be a weekend later. So in that case, the Rose would not be able to be on NYD when it was a SF site.

Last edited:

The issue is this: clearly what the CFP is trying to do is keep the six NY6 bowls and rotate who is QF and who is SF, every year. So each one gets 2 QF's and 1 SF's.
Man the SEC would blow its wad all over the meeting if they get most of the playoff in the NY6 venues, mostly within their footprint. What a coup. This whole thing will be placed within a half-days drive of Atlanta. How lame.

Yeah, as I read the article, the question is whether the new expanded playoffs would be able to start in 2024 instead of 2026.

according to the article, most of the issues/questions have been worked out, with the exception of the Rose Bowl.

So, as I read it, the Rose Bowl can allow or block the expanded playoffs from starting two years earlier.

and let's face it. with the current CFP, the top team in the B1G has usually been in the CFP, so the Rose Bowl is already not getting the top team in the B1G. with a 12-team playoff, it's likely that two or possibly three B1G teams will be in the playoffs, so in some years, the Rose Bowl could wind up with the 4th-best B1G team. and if more Pac-12 teams bolt for the B1G, how much does it even really matter?

I like tradition as much as the next guy, but I think it's time for the Rose Bowl to concede the point and make sure it's part of the new playoff structure.

Yeah, as I read the article, the question is whether the new expanded playoffs would be able to start in 2024 instead of 2026.

according to the article, most of the issues/questions have been worked out, with the exception of the Rose Bowl.

So, as I read it, the Rose Bowl can allow or block the expanded playoffs from starting two years earlier.

and let's face it. with the current CFP, the top team in the B1G has usually been in the CFP, so the Rose Bowl is already not getting the top team in the B1G. with a 12-team playoff, it's likely that two or possibly three B1G teams will be in the playoffs, so in some years, the Rose Bowl could wind up with the 4th-best B1G team. and if more Pac-12 teams bolt for the B1G, how much does it even really matter?

I like tradition as much as the next guy, but I think it's time for the Rose Bowl to concede the point and make sure it's part of the new playoff structure.
It's mostly about their traditional time slot and day.

Technically true, since they're a key party of the current contract.

But if they did that, guaranteed they're left out of the CFP altogether for the next contract.

They (the Rose Bowl Game) have made it clear that they don't want to be the only reason that the CFP cannot expand early.

So I think it's a done deal for 2024 and 2025. The Rose will be a quarter-final both years, played in their usual, exclusive NYD slot.

Can kicked down the road for now ... but not too far down. Gonna be some major cat herding/horse trading to get all kinks worked out for 2026 and beyond.

The expanded CFP will be the same teams year after year with a token team to make it taste different every couple years. Its not a real playoff, its a beauty contest based on money and influence, not competition. The Gophers will need to be 12-0 to maybe get the token participant status. The RB does not need the CFP to make money. they can pick their own teams and do well.

The expanded CFP will be the same teams year after year with a token team to make it taste different every couple years. Its not a real playoff, its a beauty contest based on money and influence, not competition. The Gophers will need to be 12-0 to maybe get the token participant status. The RB does not need the CFP to make money. they can pick their own teams and do well.
Disagree.

What you say is true for 4 teams. 12 teams opens it up considerably.

Saw a comment on Reddit that I agree with: the rose bowl should just ask to have the highest available pac-12 or big ten team as one of the teams playing and then take whoever the seeded opponent is. Some years it'll be traditional, some not, but at least its a middle ground between tradition and being included.

Saw a comment on Reddit that I agree with: the rose bowl should just ask to have the highest available pac-12 or big ten team as one of the teams playing and then take whoever the seeded opponent is. Some years it'll be traditional, some not, but at least its a middle ground between tradition and being included.
I don't think having a Big Ten vs PAC matchup is the hangup, at all. They take it as much as they can get it, but know there won't be any guarantees in the new system.

The hangup is having a yearly guaranteed, exclusive window to play the game on NYD (or Jan 2 when that's a Sunday).

I don't think having a Big Ten vs PAC matchup is the hangup, at all. They take it as much as they can get it, but know there won't be any guarantees in the new system.

The hangup is having a yearly guaranteed, exclusive window to play the game on NYD (or Jan 2 when that's a Sunday).
Ah, I see

Sure, top 5ish looks pretty similar year to year, but everything beyond that is pretty varied.

Especially when you consider Tulane would currently be one game away from an auto bid
Perfect. It will be harsh for awhile but that is what competition is all about. Maybe then these "Tulane teams" might do something to compete and the talent might naturally spread out.

Does this mean the Gophers only hope of playing in the Rose Bowl is during a regular season game?

Speaking of the Rose Bowl. This is from The Athletic:

Should No. 5 Ohio State (11-1) fail to reach the College Football Playoff this weekend, the Rose Bowl is strongly considering taking No. 8 Penn State (10-2) instead of the Buckeyes to avoid a repeat appearance coming off another deflating loss to their rival Michigan, according to multiple people with knowledge of the discussions. Here’s what you need to know:

• Tournament of Roses officials met with the Big Ten on Wednesday to discuss the possibility.
  • The Rose Bowl to this point has always taken the highest-ranked Big Ten team when losing the league champion to the Playoff.
  • However, per the Rose Bowl’s website: “If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl game.”
  • Unlike Ohio State, which has been to Pasadena twice in the last four seasons, Penn State has not been to the bowl since the 2016 season.
Asked what would be considered a “cluster” in the rankings, Laura Farber, chair of the Rose Bowl Management Committee, told The Athletic, “There is no magic number. The teams have to be ranked within several spots of each other … While the Tournament of Roses makes the selection, we do it in conjunction with our conference partners. It’s collaborative.”

Backstory

The Buckeyes’ two most recent Rose Bowl appearances came against the Big Ten’s two possible Pac-12 opponents, No. 11 Utah (should it win the Pac-12 championship game) or No. 12 Washington (should it move ahead of the Utes in the final rankings).

Rose Bowl officials are also concerned that Ohio State fans won’t travel in large numbers to the game. Last year, the school only sold 13,000 of its 20,000 allotted tickets.

Should the Rose Bowl take Penn State, Ohio State would likely go to the Orange Bowl, which takes the highest available Big Ten or SEC team to face the ACC champion.

Man the SEC would blow its wad all over the meeting if they get most of the playoff in the NY6 venues, mostly within their footprint. What a coup. This whole thing will be placed within a half-days drive of Atlanta. How lame.

Does the Rose Bowl need them, or do they need the Rose Bowl?

Speaking strictly for myself, but the Rose Bowl means something to me. Screw the CFP.

Speaking strictly for myself, but the Rose Bowl means something to me. Screw the CFP.
The CFP does open up the possibility or more likely, the probability that there will be three or four BIG teams in the CFP. One of the QF or SF or F game will always be in the Rose Bowl.
That should gladden the hearts of fans in the West.

Sure, top 5ish looks pretty similar year to year, but everything beyond that is pretty varied.
And in the 4 team model we haven’t had very much difference at all.
2014-2021 appearances
7 by Alabama
6 by Clemson
4 by Oklahoma
4 by Ohio state

Those four make up 21/32
No one else has more than 2 appearances. (Georgia will get a third this year)

13 teams have appeared in 9 years. (Likely up to 15 this year if USC and TCU win.

In a 12 team model:
43 different programs would have made at least one appearance

Some say that’s bad because those teams will lose. I say that’s fine, what’s the harm in them not winning the national title.
I do wish that conference titles were more important as it does two things:
1) disincentivizes “super” conferences
2) makes the regular season more important

The harm. Alabama makes 8 instead of 7?
Ohio state makes 6 instead of 4?
I don’t see that as that bad considering what you gain.

Some of the tradition will leave when the PAC blows up here soon as well. Probably an overall negative affect on the Rose Bowl.

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-sports-rose-bowl-game-8647c9827390be80c1655c5afa08fe59

The university leaders who make up the CFP board of managers were pushing for a decision from Rose Bowl officials by Wednesday about whether they would amend existing contracts for 2024 and ’25 and allow the playoff to triple in size.

The Rose Bowl is scheduled to have a traditional Pac-12-Big Ten matchup in those seasons. To have a 12-team playoff, the Rose Bowl would need to host a quarterfinal in its traditional and valuable Jan. 1 time slot.

Rose Bowl officials had asked the CFP to guarantee the game would remain on New Year’s Day, starting at 5 p.m. EST, in the new format for 2026 and beyond.

CFP leaders balked.

The original 12-year contract the CFP has with ESPN expires after the 2025-26 season. CFP officials have been unwilling to make any binding commitments about the College Football Playoff beyond 2025.

Sure, top 5ish looks pretty similar year to year, but everything beyond that is pretty vari

The CFP does open up the possibility or more likely, the probability that there will be three or four BIG teams in the CFP. One of the QF or SF or F game will always be in the Rose Bowl.
That should gladden the hearts of fans in the West.
I predict that only 2 teams from the BIG would ever be selected and only 4 teams would ever be considered to be the two. You know who those teams are. Now the Rose Bowl will do two things to ruin itself, change its time slot, be forced to host games that will see less and less attendance because the tradition and pageantry will be lost.
I have been told I am old and the new fans want playoffs over tradition but then they also tell me it is a successful season if all we do is get a statue of a pig and an axe. Neither "real" trophies are ever seen. If tradition does not matter, why do we have to waist 2 games on the same boring teams that kick our ass traditionally and will continue to do so? Can we ask to play a more varied schedule?

So it's exactly like what I was thinking.

Rose is contractually guaranteed to get their NYD 5pm EST exclusive slot for the 2023, 2024, and 2025 seasons. That was already true per the current contract and is still happening no matter what.

For the 2023 season, it will still be a 4 team playoff and the Rose will host one of the semi-final games.

For the 2024 and 2025, the Rose will be a quarter-final game, with the new 12 team format having the QF round on NYD weekend.

There are no guarantees for the next contract, for 2026 seasons and beyond, as far as how and if the Rose participates in the new CFP. That will be the next fight.

Top Bottom