Ron Gardenhire - Twins Hall of Fame

No.
Denny was our best de facto GM the Vikings ever had.
Not to bog down in the details, but he was only officially the GM after Jeff Diamond went to Tennessee after 1998. Obviously he had a lot of say on the draft etc. in a way no baseball manager ever would.

If you believe post season is the be all end all, then no Gardy shouldn't be in the Twins HOF. But he was a damn good regular season manager, and it's a lot harder to make the play-offs in MLB.

His best managing job might have been 2008. They traded Santana and lost Torii Hunter to Free Agency. The opening day starter was Ramon Ortiz. Were expected to finish 4th or 5th in the division. And they still took the White Sox to game 163.

Not to bog down in the details, but he was only officially the GM after Jeff Diamond went to Tennessee after 1998. Obviously he had a lot of say on the draft etc. in a way no baseball manager ever would.

If you believe post season is the be all end all, then no Gardy shouldn't be in the Twins HOF. But he was a damn good regular season manager, and it's a lot harder to make the play-offs in MLB.

His best managing job might have been 2008. They traded Santana and lost Torii Hunter to Free Agency. The opening day starter was Ramon Ortiz. Were expected to finish 4th or 5th in the division. And they still took the White Sox to game 163.
Winning Game 163 against Detroit in 2009 also counts for something, not just that game but the rally to even force it.

Twins managers; top records since team moved to MN:

Tom Kelly: 1,140 - 1,244 .478 2 playoff appearances (won 2 WS)
Ron Gardenhire: 1,068 - 1,039 .507 6 playoff appearances
Sam Mele: 522 - 431 .546 1 playoff appearance ('65 WS)
Gene Mauch: 378 - 394 .490 no playoff apperances
Paul Molitor: 305 - 343 .471 1 playoff appearance

2nd most wins of any Twins manager. Won the division 6 out of 13 years. Remember it’s the Twins Hall of Fame, not Baseball Hall of Fame.
That's not saying much. You see more hall of fames with mediocre coaches/managers getting in due to longevity.

What moves would you have liked to see Gardy do differently that would have led to more playoff wins?
Have a way about him so that he could get himself and the players not to piss down their leg when they saw yankee pinstripes.

Winning Game 163 against Detroit in 2009 also counts for something, not just that game but the rally to even force it.
That was an incredible week. They were one game from elimination on Thursday and then won the last 5. All just as pressure packed as a play-off game. Makes the 0-18 even harder to understand.

I don't want anyone who lost about a dozen straight playoff baseball games in my Hall of Fame.

It's honoring losers.
No one lost more than Gardy when winning mattered most.

Just awful.

If there was a sport where you can randomly beat a team better than you on a given day, baseball is it.

To lose that many in a row is baffling and shouldn't be rewarded simply because you happened to win more games than terrible Detroit, KC, and Chicago teams for a few years.

Again, it wasn't like Gardy won the division in any season where the 2nd place team was a legit playoff contender. It was winning of the mediocre middle and they won't have won divisions if they played in the East or West any of those seasons I believe.

This is just the Twins being the Twins. I've had very little respect for that organization ever since they tried to get contracted.

I don't want anyone who lost about a dozen straight playoff baseball games in my Hall of Fame.

It's honoring losers.
No one lost more than Gardy when winning mattered most.

Just awful.

If there was a sport where you can randomly beat a team better than you on a given day, baseball is it.

To lose that many in a row is baffling and shouldn't be rewarded simply because you happened to win more games than terrible Detroit, KC, and Chicago teams for a few years.

Again, it wasn't like Gardy won the division in any season where the 2nd place team was a legit playoff contender. It was winning of the mediocre middle and they won't have won divisions if they played in the East or West any of those seasons I believe.

This is just the Twins being the Twins. I've had very little respect for that organization ever since they tried to get contracted.
There were multiple seasons where the Twins would have won the west. This is such an odd thing for you to be this upset about.

Top Bottom