Rolling out the Red Carpet...

Maximus

Reaction score
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=1&SPID=22&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205319310

"Tom Osborne never ceases to be amazed by the ingenuity of Nebraska football fans who find their way into packed stadiums at not exactly family friendly prices. Well, here's a spinoff on that kind of ingenuity: Nebraska's all-time career receptions leader and 34 of his Big Red friends and family members will be tailgating in the lot closest to TCF Bank Stadium Saturday in Minneapolis.

Talk about a swift move. How on earth did you pull something like that off, Mr. Nate Swift? Well, it helps to know the stadium's operations manager, Tony Mortensen, who was Swift's quarterback at Hutchinson High School in Hutchinson, Minn. Swift went on to catch 166 passes at Nebraska while his good friend became backup quarterback for the Golden Gophers. "

------------------------

Side Note: If a Husker fan asks you to switch seats, politely oblige. It's the Minnesota way.

Are there going to be more Nebraska people at the State Fairgrounds than there were for NDSU? That was an effin' mess.

I wonder if the requisite donation was made to enable them to get into that lot?

Unrelated to tailgating but related to Nate Swift...one of the most under-rated Huskers of recent memory. He didn't have blazing speed, but he seemed to catch everything thrown his way.

Are there going to be more Nebraska people at the State Fairgrounds than there were for NDSU? That was an effin' mess.

No $hit. That was freakin' embarrassing. I'm sure on Saturday I will have to endure the pain all over again. I can't wait for the day that the lot looks like that with Maroon and Gold.

Like how they don't mention anything about Mortenson playing at Minnesota.

If Mortenson did anything remotely wrong, did anything remotely abusing his position, he should be fired. I don't see how giving spots away can't be an abuse of position.

Other teams don't put up with this crap.

I don't see how giving spots away can't be an abuse of position.

Comping guys happens on a daily basis. I have never paid for a Wolves ticket, but have been to hundreds of games. I haven't paid for a Wild ticket, Twins ticket or Vikings ticket for as long as I can remember.

But I do know some of the guys, in certain situations, tell the recipient "just don't tell anyone where you got them". These situations are more like Miller tickets being given to a Bud rep, or situations like that.

Mortensen was stupid enough not to tell his buddy to STFU.

If Mortenson did anything remotely wrong, did anything remotely abusing his position, he should be fired. I don't see how giving spots away can't be an abuse of position.

To be fair, he didn't play...much. Screw Hutch.

Yes they did. They said he became back up quarterback for the gophers.

Comping guys happens on a daily basis. I have never paid for a Wolves ticket, but have been to hundreds of games. I haven't paid for a Wild ticket, Twins ticket or Vikings ticket for as long as I can remember.

But I do know some of the guys, in certain situations, tell the recipient "just don't tell anyone where you got them". These situations are more like Miller tickets being given to a Bud rep, or situations like that.

People also get fired on a daily basis for abusing their position. Bye bye Tony.

Same old same old.

It's not what you know but who you know.

It's a good old boy network and it just isn't right. How many Gopher fans were told they can't tailgate there because of these shenanigans I wonder. Likely more than a few.
But Mortensen's good buddy from Nebraska gets to tailgate there.

I think an investigation is in order!!!!! Heads should roll.

The lots immediately surrounding TCF are donation lots. Many Gopher ticket-holders (myself included) have donated significant sums for the "opportunity" to occupy these lots. I have no problem with Swift and his crew being in the lots if they also donated to the GGF.

The lots immediately surrounding TCF are donation lots. Many Gopher ticket-holders (myself included) have donated significant sums for the "opportunity" to occupy these lots. I have no problem with Swift and his crew being in the lots if they also donated to the GGF.

i am not trying to sound like an alarmist, but i too would send an email to joel maturi and president kaler about this and make some phone calls. if gopher fans are expected to make a donation to park in the lots closest to the stadium, then certainly the same should be expected of this nate swift and the nebraska fans he is bringing with to tailgate courtesy of comp tailgate lot passes from a stadium employee.

i truly think some gopher fans needs to make a big stink about this abuse of position by tony mortensen to the higher-ups at the U of M. don't let this get swept under the rug as if it is "okay". especially when he is comping donation lot passes to opposing team fans. ask that nate swift and these people not be allowed in the lot without making the same donation required of gopher fans, if they were comped these lot passes for free by tony mortensen. what a bunch of b.s. people like tony mortensen and other U of M employees who pull this kind of sh!t with comp tickets and lot passes piss me off.

Ok prexy k. This is your chance to quit wimping out and to take a stand on something. Go public prexy k and unleash: " ...the fateful lightning of (your) terrible SWIFT sword..." What kind of cesspool has badger joel macturi been running in that athletic department?

By the way prexy k: I am a LONG-TIME season ticket holder. I want a LOT of special benefits on Game Day Saturday. Please let ME be the one to announce to the crowd that badger joel macturi has JUST been officially thrown under the bus and that he HAS been ditched.

; 0 )

" ...the fateful lightning of (your) terrible SWIFT sword..."

WOW!

Wren's next job: writing headlines for the local media.

"St. Louis RAMS the Vikings"
"Heat BURN Timberwolves
"Avalanche BURY Wild"
"Royals CROWN the Twins"
"If the Vikings offense doesn't get N' SYNC, their playoff hopes are going to go BYE, BYE, BYE!"

BTW, I do agree with you....people donate to be in these lots. If you have unsold spots, you need to a) analyze your price structure or b) find a way to give open spots to Gopher fans if you're going to do this.

Let's assume everything mentioned in this article is correct and to be taken at face value.

The lot where this group will be tailgating costs $2,500 per year, per car. On a per-game basis, that's $357 per car. Let's assume they really are bringing 35 people into this lot. Let's go conservative and assume that they will be jamming in 4 people per car (even though they assuredly won't be). That would be a total of 9 cars. Ergo, just the tailgate passes alone would cost the average group of rubes $3,213. Think Swift and Co. paid anything close to that amount?

I honestly don't have a problem comping someone if it's a big Gopher donor or some sort of visiting dignitary. But costing our University over $3,000 by getting a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing Cornhusker knob and his butt-buddies into a premium lot for free? This is beyond embarrassing and is easily a fireable offense. I wouldn't even begin to dream of abusing my authority in this way. Mortensen should be embarrassed as an alum, former player, and employee of our University.

Let's assume everything mentioned in this article is correct and to be taken at face value.

The lot where this group will be tailgating costs $2,500 per year, per car. On a per-game basis, that's $357 per car. Let's assume they really are bringing 35 people into this lot. Let's go conservative and assume that they will be jamming in 4 people per car (even though they assuredly won't be). That would be a total of 9 cars. Ergo, just the tailgate passes alone would cost the average group of rubes $3,213. Think Swift and Co. paid anything close to that amount?

I honestly don't have a problem comping someone if it's a big Gopher donor or some sort of visiting dignitary. But costing our University over $3,000 by getting a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing Cornhusker knob and his butt-buddies into a premium lot for free? This is beyond embarrassing and is easily a fireable offense. I wouldn't even begin to dream of abusing my authority in this way. Mortensen should be embarrassed as an alum, former player, and employee of our University.

If there is a single tailgate lot space open(unsold) the pricing structure should have been over hauled. Absolutely no excuse to not have jam packed and rowdy tailgate lots in college football.

I've heard other instances of this stuff going on, aka university employees giving prime seats/lot space/etc to their family and freinds from rival teams.
Our turf and grounds crew staff are badger fans, they get prime tix for their family when they come to TCF.

Mortensen's ass should be fired yesterday over this BS. Spineless POS mother milquetoast maturi will no doubt either wash over this, or address it in some other spineless way.

GOD! CAN WE PLEASE FIRE OUR POS AD RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Joel will be all over this with a full investigation! Right after he finishes Tubby's contract extension from 2010...

I seem to recall a previous post about some Ohio State fans getting premium seats last year from a contact they had in the ticket office. Who will put a stop to this kind of crap?

If there is a single tailgate lot space open(unsold) the pricing structure should have been over hauled. Absolutely no excuse to not have jam packed and rowdy tailgate lots in college football.

I've heard other instances of this stuff going on, aka university employees giving prime seats/lot space/etc to their family and freinds from rival teams.
Our turf and grounds crew staff are badger fans, they get prime tix for their family when they come to TCF.

Mortensen's ass should be fired yesterday over this BS. Spineless POS mother milquetoast maturi will no doubt either wash over this, or address it in some other spineless way.

GOD! CAN WE PLEASE FIRE OUR POS AD RIGHT NOW!!!!!

seriously?! that is just stupid, stupid, stupid. don't tell me they couldn't have given grounds crew jobs to guys who are died in the wool U of M fans. who in the world are the idiot hiring managers at the U of M who hired some of these people? it is sac relig and it "just isn't right with the football gods" to have some of the guys working the football grounds on your staff who are fans of your longest and biggest rival. that is like going out to a cemetary and walking over someone's grave. no good can come out of it.....whether you are superstitious or not.

oh wait......that's right. our freakin' fearless AD, joltin' joel maturi, is a former long-time becky badger employee. and a notre dame grad. never mind.......i just answered my own questions above. me shaking me head........

Last year I emailed Joel about getting a tailgate spot next to the stadium. I donate $500 and our friends donate $500. I told him to combine our donations to hit the $1,000 mark and only give us ONE parking spot. Joel stood firm and wouldn't let us do it. He refuses to think outside the box, or even "think" at all. Mindblowing!

Tony Mortenson = what is wrong with Gopher football

We as a fan base would sell our tickets and our souls to make a quick buck, or to make friends happy, so would Joel Maturi also.
Until we get rid of that turd we will continue to suffer.
When are we going to stop kissing everyone else's butts? I understand they are HS teamates but don't let this get out in the media let alone trumpet it up, and make a story or big deal out of it.

Why turn the knife in the U's back, you know we don't need more sand kicked in our face. It is the same bleep every year, we let Iowa, Wisconisin, NDSU and now Nebraska fans walk all over us and we put out the welcome matt. A big middle finger to Tony Mortenson (Sell-out). Long time supportors even the one's who donate cannot get accomedations like this, and yet we roll out the welcome spot for visiting fans. Yay, Joel fearless leader Maturi and go Gophers.

We as a fan base would sell our tickets and our souls to make a quick buck, or to make friends happy, so would Joel Maturi also.
Until we get rid of that turd we will continue to suffer.
When are we going to stop kissing everyone else's butts? I understand they are HS teamates but don't let this get out in the media let alone trumpet it up, and make a story or big deal out of it.

Why turn the knife in the U's back, you know we don't need more sand kicked in our face. It is the same bleep every year, we let Iowa, Wisconisin, NDSU and now Nebraska fans walk all over us and we put out the welcome matt. A big middle finger to Tony Mortenson (Sell-out). Long time supportors even the one's who donate cannot get accomedations like this, and yet we roll out the welcome spot for visiting fans. Yay, Joel fearless leader Maturi and go Gophers.

+1 Unbelievable.

Just want to provide a bit of clarification as some people seemed to be riled up last week. Swift and Co. were not in a lot directly adjacent to the stadium, they were in the Ski U Mah lot on the east end next to our group. His mom said they had 32 people in their group but they only had 1 car/parking spot. I didn't talk with them too much but didn't find anything wrong with their set up. There were plenty of NE groups in the lots early on and with stubhub and the like, passes aren't to difficult to come by.

Top Bottom