Roll Call: Hockey City Classic at TCF Bank Stadium!

Stan

Reaction score
Who's in? How many in your group?

Embrace the elements!

I'll be sitting inside at TCF, like a true wuss, so it's a bit hypocritical for me to say this, but...

I love Minnesota. I love Hockey. I love Minnesota Hockey. But, if we don't fill this place for the game, we may have to drop the "State of Hockey" claims. We do indeed need to "Embrace the elements!", and make it a party worth attending.

Anyone know how many tickets have been sold?

I'll be there with the gf, my brother, brother in law, his son (who I'm proud to say I converted to a full fledged Gopher fan) and one of his friends. Looking forward to having a lot of fun with it and hopefully making some long lasting memories for the younger kids.

Anyone know how many tickets have been sold?

no true numbers to this, but browsing through gophersports and looking at the seating chart remaining, it appears as though most of the solid view seats in lower bowl are gone and many of the front seats in the upper deck. Kind of wish they would have scheduled this game with WI instead of OSU to drive further sales but hopefully the weather is half decent so the casual fan wanting tix on gameday can still get them

I'll be sitting inside at TCF, like a true wuss, so it's a bit hypocritical for me to say this, but...

I love Minnesota. I love Hockey. I love Minnesota Hockey. But, if we don't fill this place for the game, we may have to drop the "State of Hockey" claims. We do indeed need to "Embrace the elements!", and make it a party worth attending.

This game is an illustration of just how bad our marketing department really is. If it is not sold out, I think it is a problem with the U's marketing, not the "State of Hockey". I cannot believe how many sports fan friends of mine I have asked "hey dude, you going to the outdoor game?" and I was met with a question about what game I was talking about. In several of these cases, as soon as I told them that the U was hosting an outdoor hockey game, they recruited a group and bought some tickets. I didn't even have to do any persuading or convincing, all they needed was to know that the game was going to happen.

Michigan sold out the Big House at extra-capacity for hockey (I think they sold about 113,000 tickets), and they actually scanned 104,000 at the door (so there was real attendance, not just donated tickets that they counted as "sold"). There is no way Michigan has that much more of a hockey following than us, they just have a marketing department that actually knows wha they are doing. It would help if this was a rivalry game like the Big Chill at the Big House was, but when there are fans who would go if they knew about it but don't know about it (like the friends I described earlier), that is illustrative of a failed marketing effort.

One final rant about the marketing team, I went to the public outdoor skate at TCF with my dad and a woman he has been dating, and she pointed out that it was really stupid of them not to have displays with the schedule of events posted everywhere so people would know what there options were for watching hockey at the outdoor rink. They had the hockey city classic logo everywhere on the boards, on the big screen, and the ring around the stadium, but when my dad was mistaken about which day the game was on, I actively looked around for any advertisement with the date/time of the game, and could not find one anywhere out there.

Going with a group of 4 and have another group of friends who have 10 in their group. Should be a fun night!

Anybody know if they will be selling beer there? My assumption would be yes at the same areas as football games?

I am going with 4 others and meeting up with 10 people. Should be a great time. I actually have 4 tickets available if anyone is interested.

Getting more and more pumped for this game! I can't believe I still haven't found my way to one of these outdoor games (pro or college) yet.

Group of 25 here. Coming on a bus/RV to TCF tmrw-hotel in Elk River after the game, a full slate of high school games Sat during the day in Elk River and finish off with a nightcap of the Wild game Sat night.

Tailgating question...Someone had mentioned tailgating would be allowed on the East Bank Surface Lot? We tailgate in the Ski-U-Mah Lot for Football Season, anyone familiar with the East Bank Surface Lot or is that just the lots around the stadiums?

I am going with a couple friends, but none of us have been to UofM/TCF before. Could I get a quick review of any parking rules, as well as any tips or advice for getting to the game, and things to check out.

Top Bottom