Rodney Williams

Roland Brooks

Reaction score
At THIS point in his career Rodney Williams is Nate Tubbs with a vertical.. Myron talks about Rodney having NBA tools the only tool he has is his vertical.

NO mid ranger jumper, no 3 pt shot, no low post pet move, no handles.. lacks instinct this = a guy who averages 6 pts a game and is beyond inconsistent.

At THIS point in his career Rodney Williams is Nate Tubbs with a vertical.. Myron talks about Rodney having NBA tools the only tool he has is his vertical.

NO mid ranger jumper, no 3 pt shot, no low post pet move, no handles.. lacks instinct this = a guy who averages 6 pts a game and is beyond inconsistent.

You forgot to mention he is an under 40% free throw shooter.

he hit a three pointer. Of all the things to complain about tonight you single out Rodney. He's not the one talking about going to the NBA that is the media. I absolutely believe he could be a star by the end of his Junior year. Players do get better.

If I were Nate Tubbs I would be offended by your comparison thus far. Tubbs was a guy that overachieved.

LOL! Williams reminds of the baseball players like Pedro Cerano that hit moon shot HR's in batting practice but put them in a game where they see off speed stuff - and they're a disaster.

Why all the hate? Pretty random time to rant about your hate towards one of our players when he's our second leading scorer this game and hit a three pointer. Rodney is not the reason we are losing this game.

Rodney reminds me of And-1 basketball but I think they could shoot better.

Honestly, I am DONE with Rodney Williams and hope he's seriously hurt so we don't have to see him clank any more shots and play under his ability anymore. Time to let the Freshmen play and let Rodney get some garbage time.

careful people....i tried to say awhile back that Rodney wasn't ever going to be good, and I got molested. You can't tell some people anything when they are drinking the kool aid. Same with the people who think the gophers will be good every year, only to be biting their nails on Selection Sunday.

Why all the hate? Pretty random time to rant about your hate towards one of our players when he's our second leading scorer this game and hit a three pointer. Rodney is not the reason we are losing this game.

BTW, I'm not sure you were watching the game tonight. You possibly thought you were, but you definitely were not.
By my accounts, and the box score accounts, Rodney was the 5th leading scorer tonight. But hey, maybe we are all wrong and he really was the second leading scorer

careful people....i tried to say awhile back that Rodney wasn't ever going to be good, and I got molested. You can't tell some people anything when they are drinking the kool aid. Same with the people who think the gophers will be good every year, only to be biting their nails on Selection Sunday.

Depends when you said that. If it was before or early in the season, then I can understand people not agreeing. But he should have made some improvements over his sophomore season and it's hard to say he has improved. Most coaches say that a player's second season is when you see the most improvement.

How a 6-7 player with unbelievable hops can only manage 1 stinking rebound in a game with 79 missed shots should go down as one of life's greatest mysteries...Disgusting effort from that bum!

How a 6-7 player with unbelievable hops can only manage 1 stinking rebound in a game with 79 missed shots should go down as one of life's greatest mysteries...Disgusting effort from that bum!

and that is a disgusting comment, and that is not debatable. I am all for criticizing players games when they deserve it, but seriously calling him a bum? That's whats disgusting.

I don't know about his in game effort, heck, even Blake looked lost during the first half, but I do know when the come back started Rodney was the first one off the bench high fiving guys. Would it be nice if he produced more on the court? Absolutely.

Add in the fact, two different plays he came up noticeably limping. He hit a big 3 to start the game, had a nice post move down low to score. He had a great defensive sequence manning up an Indiana guard (until somehow the ref thought he fouled? I didn't see it) If there is anything I give Rodney credit for its that he always seems to work on the defensive end especially.

No one, not one guy (except maybe Austin) played with 100% the entire time they were on the floor, not even half the time they were on the floor. Can we stop singling out Rodney like he was the sole reason they lost?

rodney is floating around right now not knowing what to do. he looks lost out there. i wish him luck but in this system that we are now forced to play in is killing rodney. he needs to be that garbage guy who flys around and dunks putbacks, not a guy we are relying on to hit open jumpers. thats not his game right now. in order to make it at the next level he will need to be that guy but he has 2 more years to become that guy. he's not going anywhere until he does.

Honestly, I am DONE with Rodney Williams and hope he's seriously hurt so we don't have to see him clank any more shots and play under his ability anymore. Time to let the Freshmen play and let Rodney get some garbage time.

With the team down to just eight scholarship players, that's a pretty extreme statement. Rant all you want but that crosses that line IMO.

My takeaway from this game. Rodney got the ball on the wing and was completely unguarded. He had a straight shot to the basket and he kicked it out to the top of the key. He's horrible. I hope he goes pro, at least he would free up a roster spot next year.

Moses is just the worst troll on these boards. He basically shows up like 3 times a year just to toss his ridiculous sh1t around and then goes into hiding until something bad happens again.

rodney is floating around right now not knowing what to do. he looks lost out there. i wish him luck but in this system that we are now forced to play in is killing rodney. he needs to be that garbage guy who flys around and dunks putbacks, not a guy we are relying on to hit open jumpers. thats not his game right now. in order to make it at the next level he will need to be that guy but he has 2 more years to become that guy. he's not going anywhere until he does.

Yes.

Rodney was essentially a center in high school ... imagine taking Dwight Howard and telling him to play SG and see how good he is after 2 years. I bet it gets pretty ugly.

Rodney is still young, and I have confidence will be a just fine player and everyone on this board will eat their words.

SF and SG are completely different positions in college basketball (less-so than in the NBA). I'd like to see Hollins and Blake start so Rodney can go back to being a 3 and get down low a little more.

BTW, how many rebounds would you expect a SG to have in a game?

Most NBA SG's average about 4 rebounds a game in a lot more minutes. It is not easy to rebound from the guard spot.

Yes.

Rodney was essentially a center in high school ... imagine taking Dwight Howard and telling him to play SG and see how good he is after 2 years. I bet it gets pretty ugly.

Rodney is still young, and I have confidence will be a just fine player and everyone on this board will eat their words.

SF and SG are completely different positions in college basketball (less-so than in the NBA). I'd like to see Hollins and Blake start so Rodney can go back to being a 3 and get down low a little more.[/QUOTE

I agree with you. We aren't an NBA farm club - Rodney should be playing at the 4 until he develops perimeter skills. You do that in the summer.

Yes.

SF and SG are completely different positions in college basketball (less-so than in the NBA). I'd like to see Hollins and Blake start so Rodney can go back to being a 3 and get down low a little more.[/QUOTE

I agree with you. We aren't an NBA farm club - Rodney should be playing at the 4 until he develops perimeter skills. You do that in the summer.

He definitely needs to work in the summer, no doubt about it. But for those expecting him to be Kobe Bryant right now are sadly mistaken. He has made strides, IMO, especially on defense, but he's not going to be LeBron in two years.

Rodney is not ready for the SG, I like him at SF, he seems more comfortable there and I think it suits him better. Curious to see what Tubby does Sunday, but I hope Rodney is at the 3.

Speaking of Kobe Bryant, he was a similar size/build in High School and played guard (for the most part) and had very little jump shot. Michael Jordan shot 18% from 3 during a stretch in the NBA. I am not comparing Rodney to these guys nor do I think it excuses not having a solid jump shot, but a little patience is required sometimes.

Is Moses the same guy who said Adam Weber would make a great tight end?

He definitely needs to work in the summer, no doubt about it. But for those expecting him to be Kobe Bryant right now are sadly mistaken. He has made strides, IMO, especially on defense, but he's not going to be LeBron in two years.

Rodney is not ready for the SG, I like him at SF, he seems more comfortable there and I think it suits him better. Curious to see what Tubby does Sunday, but I hope Rodney is at the 3.

Speaking of Kobe Bryant, he was a similar size/build in High School and played guard (for the most part) and had very little jump shot. Michael Jordan shot 18% from 3 during a stretch in the NBA. I am not comparing Rodney to these guys nor do I think it excuses not having a solid jump shot, but a little patience is required sometimes.

My beef is with Tubby not Rodney. Rodney is clearly not ready to play that position. I think Tubby could completely change the dynamic of this team by periodically going to Armelin, Hoff, Hollins, Williams and Mbakwe, with Williams at the four spot.

My beef is with Tubby not Rodney. Rodney is clearly not ready to play that position. I think Tubby could completely change the dynamic of this team by periodically going to Armelin, Hoff, Hollins, Williams and Mbakwe, with Williams at the four spot.

When we play smaller teams, I'd love to see Rodney at the 4. However, I think the 3 is a nice spot for him too. It allows him to play down low occasionally, but also develop some guard skills.

I understand Tubby doesn't want to start freshman, so he starts the experience that he has and that happens to put Rodney at the 2. I am hoping that after tonight Austin gets the start and Rodney can be the 3. Tubby has often said he sees Rodney as a Damian type, and Damian would never play the 2. I think Tubby has kind of been forced into Rodney at the 2 as he wants the experience out there.

Watched Rodney a ton in high school during spring and summer ball. He rarely played anywhere but the perimeter so to say he has no experience as a guard is false. He played there against some of the best high school players in the country.
He just doesn't understand the game. As I've said many times: Watch him away from the ball on both ends of the floor.
I would imagine it's terribly frustrating to coach him.

Rodney Has Not Changed Since HS

Remember Rodney playing ball in HS? When he played against Hopkins, he was almost a non-factor. He has great physical abilities, but not great BB skills and BB awareness. This is not a surprise to me.

Watched Rodney a ton in high school during spring and summer ball. He rarely played anywhere but the perimeter so to say he has no experience as a guard is false. He played there against some of the best high school players in the country.
He just doesn't understand the game. As I've said many times: Watch him away from the ball on both ends of the floor.
I would imagine it's terribly frustrating to coach him.

I believe I read somewhere on here he played a lot of C in High School, I never watched him play so was basing my comments on that. If he played more guard in HS, then it is on him/his coach for not improving fundamental skills instead of just doing what was winning HS games.

Top Bottom