Rodney Williams - Potential star or project?

boston.gopher

Reaction score
I've seen varying opinions on Rodney Williams. Some believe his is the best athlete in the entire class of 2009 and others see him as someone who can dunk but not much else and may be a potential redshirt as a freshman. Some of the national media see him as one of the incoming players that may significantly change the outlook of next years team while some local views seem to think we need to recruit his position for 2010 as it will be a position of need in the future. What gives? How good will this kid be and how long will it take for us to see him contribute in a significant manner?

Question: "Potential star or project??
Answer: Both.

Exactly. He's one of those rare kids that has absolutely freakish natural abilities, but isn't refined enough to be a sure-fire thing. Personally, I think he'll turn out to be a very good player once Tubby and the staff help him get his skills to a point of matching his natural abilities.

One thing is for sure: He'll be the best pure athlete we've had in the program in a long time.

He's Playing In KY Derby Festival Classic This Weekend

One of the oldest HS All-Star games around.

Tomorrow night is the Night Of The Future Stars skills competition.

Saturday night is the game itself.

WOW !

Exactly. He's one of those rare kids that has absolutely freakish natural abilities, but isn't refined enough to be a sure-fire thing. Personally, I think he'll turn out to be a very good player once Tubby and the staff help him get his skills to a point of matching his natural abilities.

One thing is for sure: He'll be the best pure athlete we've had in the program in a long time.

I saw several Cooper games this year on cable and Rodney was completely unimpressive. Freakish natural abilities ? From what I saw he didnt stand out at all ! Hopefully I just saw his worst games of the season.

Rodney will be at the end of the bench as a frosh, for sure.

I saw several Cooper games this year on cable and Rodney was completely unimpressive. Freakish natural abilities ? From what I saw he didnt stand out at all ! Hopefully I just saw his worst games of the season.

Rodney will be at the end of the bench as a frosh, for sure.

I have no doubt he will spend time on the bench, but to deny this kids athleticism and leaping ability is rediculous. All you have to do is type his name into youtube to see it.

I've only seen rodney play live once, and he was visibly disinterested in the game. But he has all the physical tools to be a star once he puts on some weight and improves his shooting ability. And when he focuses, he's very good defensively.

If tubby wasn't totally against the idea of redshirting, I would say he is a great candidate for it. As it is, if he can't get eligible, it does give him another year to work on his skills, albeit without the same level of coaching as he would get under tubby.

I can't wait to go nuts at the games after some of the spectacular plays that I'm sure he will make in maroon and gold, but I'm not sure he'll get even 5 minutes/game as a freshman. I will be shocked if he contributes more to the team than any of the other 3 incoming players.

However I also remember a post from a couple of months ago that was breaking down tubby's ball-line defense scheme and the thing that stood out is that it really relies on very athletic wings who can recover quickly to cover the weak side shooter, because that player is actually supposed to sag way off of their man down towards the paint to try to cut off passing lanes or double the post. Our defense did tend to give up a lot of those 3's where we didn't recover quickly enough, especially on a skip pass. Rodney is the perfect player to have at that position defensively, it's just the offensive side of the court where he really needs to work on his shooting before he'll be able to contribute.

I blame the coaching he got in high school more than anything, as they actually played him as more of a post player down in the paint, blocking shots, rebounding, etc. With a player of rodney's abilities, I think it's a crime not to at least put him in a position to work on the skills he needs to succeed at the next level

All in all, I think he's definitely a project, but by the time he leaves the program, I expect him to be a stud, and even if he never develops into a complete player, he will bring the fans out of their seats regularly.

No offense to many here but I question the basketball acumen of some. It is not surprising at all that Rodney wasn't very impressive in many high school games. He's a natural wing who lacks bulk yet plays inside for a guard heavy team. Cooper makes little effort to get him the ball on offense and he essentially focuses on playing D and rebounding. As I've mentioned on here before I watched Jereme Richmond play often this year and it was the same with him. He's 6'7", a natural 3 and plays the post for his team and goes entire halfs without doing much, but he's still considered a top 20 2010 player and the best player in Ill even this year.

Many kids play out of position in HS and Rodney is one of them. His strongest attributes are his athleticism and that's negated in his school's system. Its true he needs to improve his skill set a lot if he wants to become a star but right now he can already be a good player.

Right now Rodney is just as skilled as Damien Johnson. He's about an inch or 2 shorter and about 25 lbs lighter but he's a better athlete. We see what DJ brings to the team and Rodney has that type of potential RIGHT NOW. He could do the same type of things defensively with his long arms and great quickness. And don't forget that Rodney played against the best comp in the nation for Howard Pulley and impressed enough to be generally ranked as a top 50 player. There are a lot of great athletes that are ranked low because of their lack of refinement so obviously the kid has some skill.

In the words of............

Jaques Lemaire, there is "no doubt," Rodney has the talent to help our beloved Gophers.

His biggest attraction to me is that he is unselfish and doesn't seem to need to be "the man." He passes well, plays with a smile on his face.....AND goes to the offensive glass like a madman, perhaps knowing that his strong suit is rising up above all others and getting an a put back slam that can energize the crowd.

He is going to have to work hard to improve in other areas, and if he does that......we're all going to be very pleased with the results.

I personally wouldn't be shocked to see him redshirt. I know that it's unusual for somebody as talented as Rodney, but he seems like the perfect candidate for it. Plus, we have a ton of players right now, and not enough playing time to go around. I think holding Rodney back a year would be a great idea.

Nobody...

Nobody will pull for Rodney more than me. I hope he becomes a star, graduates, and plays in the NBA.

It just seems to me he has some work ahead of him. :)

I personally wouldn't be shocked to see him redshirt. I know that it's unusual for somebody as talented as Rodney, but he seems like the perfect candidate for it. Plus, we have a ton of players right now, and not enough playing time to go around. I think holding Rodney back a year would be a great idea.

For the last time he IS NOT GOING TO REDSHIRT!!!!!!!!!! Lets stop talking about it since its not going to happen. You may think its a great idea, you may think he's a perfect candidate but it is simply not going to happen. Name the last top 100 guy to take a RS who wasn't injured and wasn't playing for Wisky as a big. It doesn't happen in basketball. Rodney can really help this team next year. This isn't football where a guy may not be able to help until he matures physically.

Now, now oleboy...

For the last time he IS NOT GOING TO REDSHIRT!!!!!!!!!! Lets stop talking about it since its not going to happen. You may think its a great idea, you may think he's a perfect candidate but it is simply not going to happen. Name the last top 100 guy to take a RS who wasn't injured and wasn't playing for Wisky as a big. It doesn't happen in basketball. Rodney can really help this team next year. This isn't football where a guy may not be able to help until he matures physically.

A little sensitive about redshirting there, oleboy? Lot of things today to get worked up about, but redshirting is not one of them. Tubby will do what is in the best interest of Rodney and the team. Probably won't redshirt, but if he does, he does.

A little sensitive about redshirting there, oleboy? Lot of things today to get worked up about, but redshirting is not one of them. Tubby will do what is in the best interest of Rodney and the team. Probably won't redshirt, but if he does, he does.

I'm just tired of RS coming up in every conversation about Williams. He is no where near the most raw player to enter college and redshirting is nearly extinct in hoops, especially for a top 50 player. Rodney will be one of our 3 or 4 most talented players next year and I think its silly that people keep throwing redshirting out there. Its like trying to decide how you're gonna get somewhere and someone keeps suggesting a horse and carriage.

This isn't football where a guy may not be able to help until he matures physically.

But it is a thing where he's the 12th or 13th guy off the bench. He's obviously not going to redshirt, but I wouldn't be surprised if he only played Kevin Payton minutes.

But it is a thing where he's the 12th or 13th guy off the bench. He's obviously not going to redshirt, but I wouldn't be surprised if he only played Kevin Payton minutes.

We don't even have 12 or 13 guys on the bench. 13 scholarships - 5 starters = 8 on the bench + walk ons. There isn't a walk on that would be in front of him.

Yes it would be very surprising. Tubby played JAS over Bostick because he didn't like Bostick's D. Rodney already has the ability to be a better defender than both. Right now our guards/wings are Nolen, LW, Joseph, Bostick and Hoff. Tubby found minutes for JAS among that group last year and he'll find minutes for Rodney. I wouldn't be shocked if he played about 10 minutes per game and I wouldn't be shocked if he was an excellent defender and played more. Rodney has more talent than every one of those players.

We don't even have 12 or 13 guys on the bench. 13 scholarships - 5 starters = 8 on the bench + walk ons. There isn't a walk on that would be in front of him.

I obviously meant that there were at least 11 guys on the roster that would play in front of him.

I obviously meant that there were at least 11 guys on the roster that would play in front of him.

I really don't know why you think he wouldn't get minutes in our backcourt. He can play the 2/3 and he'll take JAS's minutes plus make some of his own.

Rodney already has the ability to be a better defender than both. Right now our guards/wings are Nolen, LW, Joseph, Bostick and Hoff. Tubby found minutes for JAS among that group last year and he'll find minutes for Rodney. I wouldn't be shocked if he played about 10 minutes per game and I wouldn't be shocked if he was an excellent defender and played more. Rodney has more talent than every one of those players.

Well, a couple players among Nolen, LW, Joseph, Bostick, Hoffarber, Johnson, Carter, Cobbs, and Williams have to not play at all.

Who is it going to be?

I really don't know why you think he wouldn't get minutes in our backcourt. He can play the 2/3 and he'll take JAS's minutes plus make some of his own.

Then whose minutes do Mbakwe, Cobbs, White, Joseph (increased playing time), and Carter (increased playing time) get?

Rodney is way more talented than Cobbs and Cobbs is a PG. White, Mbakwe and Carter will mainly be playing the 4/5 but may see some time on the wing (not Mbakwe). Point is that out of all those guys you mentioned Williams is the most talented athletically and we play a defensive oriented system that values that athleticism. We have a ton of good players on next year's roster but Williams will get minutes. I don't think he'll be playing 20 mns a night but 8-12 sounds right

Rodney is way more talented than Cobbs and Cobbs is a PG.

Well, yeah, we need somebody to backup the point, don't we? I don't necessarily think that Cobbs is a better player than Rodney, I just don't want to see Joseph playing significant minutes at the point again. I have hopes that Joseph will eventually supplant Westbrook in the starting lineup at the 2 next year.

White, Mbakwe and Carter will mainly be playing the 4/5 but may see some time on the wing (not Mbakwe).

I sure hope not. I see Mbakwe, Carter, White, Sampson, and Iverson among the team's best players next yaer.

Point is that out of all those guys you mentioned Williams is the most talented athletically and we play a defensive oriented system that values that athleticism.

What will he give us that DJ doesn't already bring to the table? We were 209th in defensive rebounding last year. Rodney isn't going to help that. We weren't a good offensive team last year. Rodney isn't going to change that. Playing Carter and White at the three could.

Well, yeah, we need somebody to backup the point, don't we? I don't necessarily think that Cobbs is a better player than Rodney, I just don't want to see Joseph playing significant minutes at the point again. I have hopes that Joseph will eventually supplant Westbrook in the starting lineup at the 2 next year.

I sure hope not. I see Mbakwe, Carter, White, Sampson, and Iverson among the team's best players next yaer.

What will he give us that DJ doesn't already bring to the table? We were 209th in defensive rebounding last year. Rodney isn't going to help that. We weren't a good offensive team last year. Rodney isn't going to change that. Playing Carter and White at the three could.

I'm very confused by your points.

1 - mayn have speculated that Joseph will see a lot of time at the 2 yet he played there for maybe 5 minutes all year. Its possible but as of right now we have to assume he'll still be the main backup PG, and may even take Nolen's spot. Competition is a great thing for a team.

2 - what's your point about the bigs? Fact is our best players will be bigs next year. Carter, RSIII, Colt 45, White, Carter and Mbakwe are all natural 4s or 5s. Carter and White can play some 3. We all know it will be tough to get all those guys minutes. Rodney is a natural 2 and he may play some 3.

3 - Rodney is a 2, DJ is a 3/4. He can give us the exact same thing but on the wings which is my point. And a crazy athletic 6'5"/6'6" guy at the 2 can definitely help with rebounding. As will the addition of White and Mbakwe and the maturation of our young bigs. Rodney will be the only 2 we have with the size and athleticism that 2s for top 10 programs have

I find it hard to believe the Rodney will not see the floor 10-12 minutes per game when JAS and Busch averaged 10 minutes plus per game this year....at the position Rodney plays...I think anyone who thinks Rodney wont seet those minutes is an idiot.

And he wont Redshirt so please stop saying that.

The only way Rodney doesn't average 10 minutes per game next season is if he A) Doesn't qualify for school, B) gets injured or C) has a mental breakdown (and only if his breakdown prevents him from playing defense.

1 - mayn have speculated that Joseph will see a lot of time at the 2 yet he played there for maybe 5 minutes all year. Its possible but as of right now we have to assume he'll still be the main backup PG, and may even take Nolen's spot. Competition is a great thing for a team.

Why should we assume that? He was a wreck at PG was only playing the position by default. I would assume that Tubby would want at least one strong ballhandler in the backcourt at all times if possible.

2 - what's your point about the bigs? Fact is our best players will be bigs next year. Carter, RSIII, Colt 45, White, Carter and Mbakwe are all natural 4s or 5s. Carter and White can play some 3.

My point is that we won't maximize our strengths by playing White and Carter at the 4 for most of their minutes. Instead, we'll have to continue to tolerate DJ playing the bulk of the team's minutes at the 3. That means a dearth of offense and more weak rebounding.

3 - Rodney will be the only 2 we have with the size and athleticism that 2s for top 10 programs have

And he'll provide us with another offensive void.

Nolan gives us nothing so give Joseph his minutes. Westbrook gives us 1/2 a game so half of his minutes can be given away, Damien Johnson's minutes can be given to somebody who can score since this whole team could hardly score locked in a gym without anybody defending them. My point is this team was not that good last year and their are lots of minutes to compete for and Williams will get minutes because he can slash and dunk and get his own points.

Why should we assume that? He was a wreck at PG was only playing the position by default. I would assume that Tubby would want at least one strong ballhandler in the backcourt at all times if possible.

My point is that we won't maximize our strengths by playing White and Carter at the 4 for most of their minutes. Instead, we'll have to continue to tolerate DJ playing the bulk of the team's minutes at the 3. That means a dearth of offense and more weak rebounding.

And he'll provide us with another offensive void.

The fact that you just said Joseph was 'a wreck at point guard' and 'we'll have to continue to tolerate DJ playing the bulk of the team's minutes at the 3' shows me I shouldn't have wasted my time in this conversation.

Joseph didn't set the world on fire but he was very capable as a frosh backup pg and he'll only be better. DJ was either our best or 2nd best player all year long so I have no idea why we'd have to 'tolerate' him. In case you missed it MSU just made it to the championship game with a guy playing on the wing with almost 0 offensive game. Obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to have a lineup of Nolen, Williams and DJ up top at the same time that doesn't mean Williams shouldn't play. Put Rodney in with Joseph and Hoff/Bostick at the other wing and say White and RSIII in the post and he'll be a monster cutting to the basket as teams have to concentrate on the post players and also account for the 2 shooters on the outside

Joseph didn't set the world on fire but he was very capable as a frosh backup pg and he'll only be better.

Joseph had the highest TO rate on a team that ranked 249th in the country in TO% and he didn't really do anything to compensate for it. So how am I off base?

And how much better will he get with his below average handles?

DJ was either our best or 2nd best player all year long so I have no idea why we'd have to 'tolerate' him. In case you missed it MSU just made it to the championship game with a guy playing on the wing with almost 0 offensive game.

Travis Walton plays the 2, so he's not going to be as big of a rebounding liabilty as DJ.

It's funny that you mention MSU. It's MSU that I want to emulate. They were the best rebounding team in the country. Give Carter and White the bulk of the team's minutes at the 3 and it could be Minnesota that leads the nation in rebounding next year (assuming Mbakwe is all that).

Obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to have a lineup of Nolen, Williams and DJ up top at the same time that doesn't mean Williams shouldn't play.

Don't forget about Mbakwe. He's not considered much of an offensive threat either.

Top Bottom