Rodney Williams Mock Draft

jmag21

Reaction score
A recent mock draft had Rodney going third in the 2011 mock draft, behind Harrison Barnes, and some power forward. They had a pretty nice write-up on him as well. Sounds like the kid's getting some national love.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous? Saying a kid who has played 3 regular season college against terrible competition will go #3 in the draft next year?

This is worse than Miss Cleo!

Don't get me wrong, I think RWJr has the ability to go pro if he can develop more of a well-rounded offensive game and bulk up some, but to say he's going to go above all of the names on that list in less than 24 months is quite a stretch I think.

Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous? Saying a kid who has played 3 regular season college against terrible competition will go #3 in the draft next year?

Don't get me wrong, I think RWJr has the ability to go pro if he can develop more of a well-rounded offensive game and bulk up some, but to say he's going to go above all of the names on that list in less than 24 months is quite a stretch I think.

While I agree with your assessment here, just note that mock drafts change constantly and creating one for a draft more than 20 months away - especially for a league that assigns top picks via a lottery - is inherently weird and bound to be crazy. You're questioning how they can put someone who has played three regular season college games at #3, but if you look, they have kids going #1 and #2 that haven't played ANY and are still in high school.

I'm sorry, I may have overreacted a tad, as I know this sort of future drafts are a big hit.

I just think it's crazy how they are expecting him to go 20-30 spots above the likes of college players that have already been extremely successful (E'Twaun Moore, Kyle Singler, Manny Harris, Kalin Lucas, etc.) when we really don't know what kind of a year he is going to have.

You cannot teach his god given abilities...which most scouts are now just seeing. The other pieces can fill in later..but he has the tools to be very special.

I'm sorry, I may have overreacted a tad, as I know this sort of future drafts are a big hit.

I just think it's crazy how they are expecting him to go 20-30 spots above the likes of college players that have already been extremely successful (E'Twaun Moore, Kyle Singler, Manny Harris, Kalin Lucas, etc.) when we really don't know what kind of a year he is going to have.

All due respect but you're argument is pretty silly when it comes to CBB. John Wall, a freshmen, is already consisdered the #1 pick in the next draft. Oden was called the #1 pick in the 07 draft 2 yrs before he even hit college. This is how things work with the NBA draft every single year. Proven college success has very little to do with anything as its all about potential.

"Has tremendous length (wingspan in the 7-foot neighborhood) and a great basketball body"

Or his thinness creates the illusion that he has a 7-foot wingspan.

Many people presumed that Corey Brewer's wingspan was 7-feet. They just went on and on and on about his freakishly long arms. Then he got measured at the draft combine and his wingspan proved to be just 6'8 1/4".

All due respect but you're argument is pretty silly when it comes to CBB...Proven college success has very little to do with anything as its all about potential.
Agreed on both points.

I guess it's just crazy to think he's already a hugely viable NBA prospect so soon, when we were worried whether or not he'd qualify to play college basketball not even 4 months ago.

I agree 100 percent, but I still think it's flattering.

The NBA is all based on potential and athleticism...both of which Rodney has. However, this seems ridiculous at this point.

That's still three more college games than the two guys rated above him in that mock.

Most of the assessment seemed pretty accurate, although I found it odd that they gave him a higher strength rating than defensive rating.

That's still three more college games than the two guys rated above him in that mock.
Touche. I think Harrison Barnes may be the best HS prospect since Lebron, based on what I've seen and read of him.

While this is interesting and I'm sure flattering for Rodney, it doesn't really mean much. I remember the same site having Rick Rickert listed as a lottery pick within months of the draft and had Tyreke Evans going in the mid-twenties within about a month of the draft. It definitely speaks to how Rodney's performance thus far has opened some eyes, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it at this point.

"Has tremendous length (wingspan in the 7-foot neighborhood) and a great basketball body"

Or his thinness creates the illusion that he has a 7-foot wingspan.

Many people presumed that Corey Brewer's wingspan was 7-feet. They just went on and on and on about his freakishly long arms. Then he got measured at the draft combine and his wingspan proved to be just 6'8 1/4".

He might have one.

Skinny or not he is probably 6'7 or 6'8. So if each arm is two inches longer...

I agree that any talk of the NBA lottery or anything else similar needs to be tempered right now. It's quite obvious that he has the talent to make LOTS of money playing professional basketball someday. The operative word there is someday. We all know he's an absolutely incredible athlete, the type of which we haven't seen around here in a really long time.

However, I'm more interested in seeing how both he and the team do against Butler on Thanksgiving. In other words, need to learn how to walk before you can run. Does he have the potential to be the type of all-star they're talking about? Quite possibly. For right now, I'm just looking forward to seeing him on the court for the remainder of this year.

NO, you are not alone !!

The fact is, the word "RIDICULOUS" was rolling around my brain as I began to read this thread and your post jumped out at me.

REEEEEE-DICK-U-LUS !!!

:) :) :)

That website has an attention span of about 3 seconds. Once Rodney struggles in a couple of games (and he will), he will likely not even be listed. It would be fair to say that he has NBA potential, but to project a draft position, in any round, is redonkulous.

Ty Thomas had 4 good NCAA Tourney games and was a top 3 pick, CBB expirience rarely matters in the draft. How many Seniors have been drafted top 15 in the last 15 years compared to HS/ Frosh? Tim Duncan is currently the only superstar in the NBA who stayed all 4 years.

I know I am a bit biased but Robbie Hummel at #50 is the still of the draft. IMO he is the best glue guy in the B10 if not all of college basketball. While he won't wow scouts with athleticism or potenail he does to many things well not to have a impact on a good NBA team. I'm not saying he will be a star but in the right sitution he could really thrive.

I know I am a bit biased but Robbie Hummel at #50 is the still of the draft. IMO he is the best glue guy in the B10 if not all of college basketball. While he won't wow scouts with athleticism or potenail he does to many things well not to have a impact on a good NBA team. I'm not saying he will be a star but in the right sitution he could really thrive.

How did you pass English 101?

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. He isn't going to thrive in any situation.

Touche. I think Harrison Barnes may be the best HS prospect since Lebron, based on what I've seen and read of him.

If that's true Micheal Gilchrist must be the second coming of Basketball Jesus Christ himself because he's been considered the best player in ANY class since his soph. year of high school. He pretty much took apart Barnes at the NBA Elite Camp last summer.

so if rodney is being hyped this much after 3 games, just think of what would of happened to white after those games...

this didn't age well

Top Bottom