Rodney first round pick right now...imo

I realize that, but I think if Gerald had an opportunity to play in college and put up what probably would have been a sub par performance judging from his skills he would have went far lower than number 18.

You guys can talk about Rodney's jumper improving and stuff like that but his form isn't even that good, way to herky jerky and too much wasted movement. He never looks confident shooting it. I'm rooting for him but I don't expect much.

If you read my previous posts, I completely agree with what you are saying. He is not an NBA player and should not be drafted (until maybe the end of the 2nd round). However, fact of the matter is that NBA scouts and teams draft on potential (as has been mentioned a thousand times on this thread). Scouts love the athletic ability and someone (like the Lakers/Heat/Celtics) who has a good team and don't need immediate impact will draft a guy like this and take the chance that he will learn how to shoot.

And I definitely agree on Gerald Green.

I guess I need some help here. I can't find a "mock NBA draft" where either Rodney or Trevor are mentioned in either round. They both have size and shooting problems. But, if either one were drafted I would think it would be Mbakwe.

Williams

No Chance. He just does not do enough things well enough to even be considered draft worthy unless an NBA team is willing to wait 5 years for him to become that kind of player.:clap:

I have looked at maybe 15 mock drafts and do not see Rodney or Mbakwe listed. Yeah, the mocksters don't make the actual picks, but some of 'em are pretty smart. There is no way in god's green earth that Rodney, in particular, is a draft pick of any kind. There are 100 great athletes like him, and 50 of them can play basketball. Rodney is not yet a basketball player.

Mbakwe is at least a basketball player but very short for his game.

I mean, is either of these guys all-Big 10? Mbakwe probably 2nd team, Rodney not even Honorable Mention.

There is some strong kool-aid circulating. Do you think we should call someone?

I have looked at maybe 15 mock drafts and do not see Rodney or Mbakwe listed. Yeah, the mocksters don't make the actual picks, but some of 'em are pretty smart. There is no way in god's green earth that Rodney, in particular, is a draft pick of any kind. There are 100 great athletes like him, and 50 of them can play basketball. Rodney is not yet a basketball player.

Mbakwe is at least a basketball player but very short for his game.

I mean, is either of these guys all-Big 10? Mbakwe probably 2nd team, Rodney not even Honorable Mention.

There is some strong kool-aid circulating. Do you think we should call someone?

As mentioned earlier, Chad Ford on ESPN has a list of the top 100 draft prospects for 2011. Rodney is 50. The projection is for a late lottery middle first round. The mock drafts will not include him, as he has not declared for the draft (as he is only a Sophomore).

Rodney does have tons of potential, but saying he's a sure-fire first rounder to me qualifies as a nominee for Preposterous Statement of the Year. Somebody would draft him on potential and athleticism alone, which just doesn't compute to me.

If you look at the mock drafts again, you will notice that there are freshman and sophomores listed and none of them have "declared" for the NBA drafts. The NBA mock drafts as posted are based on projected draft positions if they did declare. The mock draft experts therefore do not believer Rodney or Trevor would be drafted in the two rounds. Things could change if either blows up during the 2nd half of the season, but both players are tremendous athletes with limited basketball skills at this time. I would love to see those skills develop at the U over the next 1 1/2 seasons.

Rodney does have tons of potential, but saying he's a sure-fire first rounder to me qualifies as a nominee for Preposterous Statement of the Year. Somebody would draft him on potential and athleticism alone, which just doesn't compute to me.

We all had or have tons of potential, we just never reached that potential, which is why we sit on the GopherHole and talk about it. :banghead:

Top Bottom