Rod Chance takes CB coach job @ Oregon

Dang, (at least according to Fleck's stories at the Recruiting Social), I think Chance was recruiting Georgia for us. I hope we have someone else who has good connects down there too.

Dang, (at least according to Fleck's stories at the Recruiting Social), I think Chance was recruiting Georgia for us. I hope we have someone else who has good connects down there too.

Our Georgia pipeline seems very solid, so would guess we have others that are plugged in down there. Or, we make sure whoever is hired as his replacement has some strong ties to that area.

I assumed this would happen when the promotions came out and Harasymiak was made DB's coach and Chance did not receive a promotion. Does anyone have any idea if there will be an internal promotion?

On going issue for all programs. Opportunity to work for friends, back home, promotion opportunity and so forth. Guess we'll have to get use to it more here.

They just gave Danny Collins a promotion to senior defensive analyst.

Collins was in quality control in 2017 with the defensive coaching staff. In 2018, he transitioned to a graduate assistant position and was interim defensive backs coach in the Quick Lane Bowl.

Collins moved back to quality control on the defense in 2019. At the Outback Bowl he was the interim defensive line coach.

Collins came to Minnesota from Western Michigan where he was a defensive graduate assistant from 2015-17.

Collins graduated with a degree in general studies from Western Michigan in 2014, and worked with the Bronco football department in various roles since 2012.

Former WMU cornerback for Fleck, Donald Celiscar, has been a graduate assistant on staff for two years...if Rossi and Harasymiak like him, maybe they give him a shot.

You want to have a strong recruiter in that spot.

Last edited:

Who knows whether he can recruit, but at least it will be a seamless transition. A bunch of the DBs liked that tweet, so they must be on board with it.
Yeah, must be.

FTD Flowers?
Fresh To Death? (the newly dead)
Facebook Transmitted Disease?
FTD (censored)?
Fiscal To Death? (You are flat out broke)
Free Taco Deliveries?
Fantastic Touchdown?

Are there any former gopher players coaching football right now? It would be nice to have some coaches that saw the U as an ultimate destination and not a stepping stone to more money. It seems to be working for the team to the east. They somehow have a Becky grad at just about every position coach including HC, DC and OC.

...progression...

That indeed and more to come. It is quite amazing how the narratives around Gopher Football has changed.

Now, we are worried about players leaving early for the NFL and Gopher Assistant Coaches in high demand.

We'd settle for a conference title and a trip to the Rose Bowl.

But, no. There's more. We have a coach that is aiming higher. He may accomplish do all the things he said he will when he laid out his vision for the U when he first got hired.

We are living in the Twilight Zone! Hang on for the ride! I sure am.

On going issue for all programs. Opportunity to work for friends, back home, promotion opportunity and so forth. Guess we'll have to get use to it more here.

I think part of the reason the assistant coach turnover feels so jarring here is that we got used to what it was like under Kill which was 100% the exception and not the rule.

You want consistency/stability in the head coach and coordinator roles as much as possible. The other assistants tend to change out on a fairly regular basis all over the country as guys seek promotions or opportunities for advancement or better fits from a personal standpoint.

It is very rare to see a staff full of assistant coaches with no desire to move up the ladder on their own and totally content to ride the coat tails of their head coach.

Hmmm. We have a developmental program for not only players, but for assistant coaches and staff aspiring to move up the ladder career-wise.

I can't wait 'til we start seeing former Gopher players on the staff which is not too inconceivable in the near future.

Are there any former gopher players coaching football right now? It would be nice to have some coaches that saw the U as an ultimate destination and not a stepping stone to more money. It seems to be working for the team to the east. They somehow have a Becky grad at just about every position coach including HC, DC and OC.
Nick Rallis is a defensive quality control coach for the Vikings.

Keanon Cooper is the DC at Augsburg.

Isaac Fruechte is the OC and Donell Kirkwood is the RB coach at Northern State.

Aaron Hill is an assistant strength and conditioning coach for the 49ers and Marcus Jones is the CB coach for St. Thomas.

This one annoyed me. Coach Fleck took a chance on Coach Chance who wasn't coaching a position at Oregon. Obviously there could be family reasons or other unknown reasons that trump showing some loyalty, but on the surface it's disappointing.

I believe whoever Fleck hires will be his 4th corners coach in 4 years: Linguist, Addae, and now Chance. Linguist was a big time recruiter who left for Texas A&M, Addae left for West Virginia (his alma mater I believe) and now Chance leaves for Oregon. On the plus side, these are obviously solid hires if they end up getting other power 5 offers but it sucks not to keep anyone. I might have read the tweet incorrectly, but Ryan Burns stated that our assistant salary coaching pool is still pretty low and that contributes to the departures. I believe we've also had to replace our Dline coach or one of our Dline coaches every years as well: Paup (our choice), West (his choice to go to Charlotte I believe...closer to his wife if I remember correctly), and Panagos (his choice to reunite with Schiano and allegedly a pay raise).

I have confidence in Fleck to hire good people, but at some point you are going to make some mistakes if you have to replace the same position groups year after year.

It sucks, but the same thing happens on other good teams. Auburn has a new OC, DB coach, OL coach, and recruiting coordinator. Those are just the ones I know about.

Oregon is likely paying Chance a lot more.

I don’t know if this is the appropriate thread and obviously not the correct coaching position but does anyone with knowledge know the status of Mike Sherels? Both health and professionally? Before his medical setback and I feel like he was a rising star in the coaching world.

This one annoyed me. Coach Fleck took a chance on Coach Chance who wasn't coaching a position at Oregon. Obviously there could be family reasons or other unknown reasons that trump showing some loyalty, but on the surface it's disappointing.

I believe whoever Fleck hires will be his 4th corners coach in 4 years: Linguist, Addae, and now Chance. Linguist was a big time recruiter who left for Texas A&M, Addae left for West Virginia (his alma mater I believe) and now Chance leaves for Oregon. On the plus side, these are obviously solid hires if they end up getting other power 5 offers but it sucks not to keep anyone. I might have read the tweet incorrectly, but Ryan Burns stated that our assistant salary coaching pool is still pretty low and that contributes to the departures. I believe we've also had to replace our Dline coach or one of our Dline coaches every years as well: Paup (our choice), West (his choice to go to Charlotte I believe...closer to his wife if I remember correctly), and Panagos (his choice to reunite with Schiano and allegedly a pay raise).

I have confidence in Fleck to hire good people, but at some point you are going to make some mistakes if you have to replace the same position groups year after year.

Yes, here's the article

Gopher players and coaches are more under the radar than in previous years with the attention getting season that they had.

"(A)s you develop coaches... You want them to continue to move on for their hopes, dreams and aspirations just like our players." PJ Fleck recognizes that football programs, especially winning programs, young aspiring coaches are peripatetic.

PJ is developing quite a coaching tree. There are probably many aspiring coaches who want to coach under him and be mentored by him. He has built a self-sustaining culture. Losing key people still hurts even though he rebounds quicky with a replacement. Losing Ciarrocca was a big blow, but it is not the end of the world. Losing three coaches at the same time is a challenge. Cirrocca and Panagos understandably wanted to be closer to home. Panagos from Brooklyn NY wants to be near his aging parents. Ciarrocca wants to be near his family. PJ locks and reloads coaches like he does with players. Is there a risk? Yes always.

He has said in the past that he is constantly recruiting not only players, but also coaches and staff. I think all good head coaches have developed extensive networks. Every elite program loses coaches. There are a few traditional ones still around, but not very many at the upper levels of college football IMO.

Rod Chance coached under Mario Cristobal at Oregon as an off field analyst. He like many other Gopher Assistant Coaches draw a lot of interest from other programs because of the Gophers' success. I would expect this is true at the end of every season.

PJ is classy. Someday, he will be rewarded when some of his former proteges return the favor.

From Gopher Illustrated - Feb. 16, 2020:
Former Minnesota assistant thanks Gophers players, coaches
By Clint Buckley

Late last week, the Minnesota Golden Gophers coaching staff lost one of its members to another program. On Sunday morning, he chose to thank all of those he will be leaving behind.

Former Minnesota assistant Rod Chance was hired to coach cornerbacks at Oregon last week. The former Gophers’ coach will join the staff of Ducks head coach Mario Cristobal for the 2020 season.

Chance took to Twitter to send out a message of thanks to the players and coaches he worked with at Minnesota.

“Wanna thank Mark Coyle & Coach Fleck for this awesome opportunity,” Chance tweeted. “To be apart of this culture and to experience such a special season will always be with me. Coney, BenJuice, T-Time, Bishop, & Philly, and all the guys in the locker room really. Thank you guys so much for the blind faith you gave me.

“To win 11 games and achieving so many ‘nevers’ together will forever be a special memory for us. Each of you have taught me so much about myself please know that our relationships last way past your eligibility.

“Really enjoyed working along side such great people each day especially, Joe, Joe, Danny, Bindle, Donnie, Dennis, & Christian. Wish you all the best in all your future (endeavors). Love you all!”

Chance coached at Oregon during the 2018 football season under Cristobal as an off-field analyst. He has spent this past season working with a Minnesota defense that ranked ninth in the country in passing yards allowed, 17th nationally in interceptions, 28th nationally in yards per passing attempt allowed. Prior to his time at Oregon, Chance was the defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach at Southern Utah.

During his time at Oregon and then this offseason at Minnesota, Chance was a coach who had interest from multiple Group of 5 schools to become their defensive coordinator. Prior to his stop at Oregon, Chance served as a defensive coordinator at the FCS level at Southern Utah.

In 2017, Chance's defense was critical to Southern Utah's success as the Thunderbirds won the Big Sky Conference. Chance's defense had 15 interceptions, forced eight fumbles, made 21 sacks and notched 77 tackles for loss in 2017. Under his guidance, three Thunderbirds from the defensive side of the ball were named first team all-conference (Anu Pole'o, Mike Needham and Jarmaine Doubs Jr.) and eight others were named to the various other all-conference teams. Defensive back Jalen Russell was also named freshman All-American by Phil Steele.

In 2016, Chance joined Southern Utah to coach the cornerbacks, but he was promoted to defensive coordinator going into fall camp. Prior to his time in Utah, he was a defensive quality control assistant at Vanderbilt and helped the Commodores to two bowl appearances.

Chance will bring with him a strong reputation as a coach who develops talent at the cornerback position but also as someone who has recruiting ties in multiple parts of the country. He has SEC recruiting ties, which will help the Ducks continue recruiting the state of Georgia and other parts of the SEC.

The bottom line is the administration needs to up their game, and start paying coaches at the level of the blue bloods, if they want to restore blue blood status, as PJ described.

It takes money to make money and sustain winning programs. It is sad to say, but if you want assistant coaches to stay for the long haul barring extenuating circumstances like wanting to be near family, you have to almost overpay.

The value of a winning Gopher football program to Gopher Athletics and to the U is immeasurable.

We want PJ Fleck to make the U his last stop. A bronze statue will be in front of TCF Bank Stadium someday if he stays.

Top Bottom